General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS INOP and TCS off light

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS INOP and TCS off light

Today cruising down the interstate about 70 mph in my ws6 and the abs inop and tcs light came on. The traction control switch is not light up and does not respond when pressed. From the research that I did alot of it is pointing to wheel sensor. If so where are the wheel sensors located and how hard are they to change. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Curious, they just do that on their own? Change wheels or tire sizes recently?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i dont know what to do , the first thing i would do is clean your abs sensors in the rear axle to see if that helps out most likely your sensors went out, if its th front your fucked cause they are in the hub , ibeen having this trouble for a minte i dont know where i can get my sensors checked so i just dont start buying things i dont need...let me know if you find a cure to this desease
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

my car is completely stock and has about 63,000 miles on it,
Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

my car did the same thing and it was just unplugged where the cruise control box is where the throttle cables run to by the battery.. you might check that first
Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

i just had this happen to mine while driving
Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

The first thing to do is to see if there are any codes stored in the EBCM. That will point you in the right direction. Otherwise you may be chasing your tail.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Teching In

f-bodyfanatic let me know if you find out what the problem is with car and I will do the same if I find something out. Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

If you have Tractin Control, then you probably have a 3 channel ABS system, I would suggest that your wiring harness has a cut in it or it has come unplugged. The 3 channel ABS has a sensor in each rear wheel when you have traction control and 2 channel has one sensor in the rear end housing. The wiring harness for the rear runs along each side of your rear axle tube and plugs into each sensor at the backing plate. The harness plugs in on top of the rear end. Check all those connections first and maybe even unplug and clean them, and look for cuts or rubbing in the harness.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by keliente
The first thing to do is to see if there are any codes stored in the EBCM. That will point you in the right direction. Otherwise you may be chasing your tail.

are you talking about the regular codes that you check with the obd2 or are you talking about the one that the dealeer has because i dont have any codes for my brakes, checked it at autozone..... i cleaned the rear ones off really good but i still have the code comming on, i dont know i the system has sensors in the front but i cant get to those becauwe it looks like its inside the hub
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk18
my car did the same thing and it was just unplugged where the cruise control box is where the throttle cables run to by the battery.. you might check that first
thats the TCS module. the cruise control box is in front of the driver fenderwell where the AIR pump is
Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Check fuses.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM

mine has the same problem. the wheel sensor is located on the inside of all the wheels, on the wheel hub itself. i just replace the one that it said was bad and the funny thing is it didnt go out. so we wento to the ebcm and did a voltage check with them and thats where the problem was. im not sure on how to fix it. i think i just have to buy a new one............ anyways be careful when you drive it because its not lyin when trac and abs dont work.. found it out the hard way when i was racin an evo and bout at 120 a car wants to swing in front of me. not somethin i want to expierence ever again
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Finally got my computer read and it is my drivers side rear wheel sensor. Going to change this weekend and put this problem to rest.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

mine had the same problem, it was two things. a cut wire to my front driver side sensor, and a unplugged sensor in the passenger side front. Good luck, let us know how it turns out
Old 05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I am embarassed to say but, I purchased a wheel sensor from the stealership and when I got under my car to change it I noticed the damn plug was hanging out of the sensor. Plugged it back in and good as new (I know I am a idot) I hope everyone with this problem learns from my mistake. To make things worse the stealership will not let me return the sensor because it is an electrical item. Anyone want to by a brand new rear wheel sensor?