General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with installing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with installing brake pads

ok well this is my first time installing brake pads so sorry if i sound like a noob. Well i thought this would easy, i took off the caliper, took of the pads (down to the metal) and then compressed the piston all the way down. I put in the new pads but when it was time to put on the caliper it wouldnt fit in the rotor like the pads are too thick. Idk what else to do it looks like the rotor will barely fit the caliper without the pads. Did i forget a step? here are some pics to give you guys a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails Help with installing brake pads-0104091935.jpg   Help with installing brake pads-0104091938.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you are compressing the pistons all the way down... if i had to guess that would be the culprit..

get a c-clamp and tighten the SOB's down.. make sure you do it all the way..

this happened to me also.. i couldnt hardly get the brakes on.. and when i did they were too tight...... my rotor was shot and so was my pad... (down to metal on metal also)..
i got a old rotor a friend had, and got them turned.. then put new pads on.. problem fixed....

you arent putting new pads on old rotors are you.... at the LEAST you need to get that rotor turned BEFORE you put new pads on..
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM

just curious, but that part your kinda holdin up does not look like it goes there. thats the caliper mountin bracket, but i think your just puttin it right there so we could see what you were talking about. when you put your caliper mounting bracket back on where it is supposed to go, the brake pads slid in the sides of them and wedge those little thin peice of metals to the upper and lower walls of the mountin bracket. the the caliper slides over the brake pads and pushes them toward the rotor more. once you tighten the caliper up the your rotar and it should spin but it will have just a slight grindin sound where the new pads and the rotor are hittin. this will go away. if you put your rotor on the hub and take one of the wheel nuts and tighten it down on it a little it will give you a little more space and make things easier. i hope i helped. sorry for the long message
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
make sure you are compressing the pistons all the way down... if i had to guess that would be the culprit..

get a c-clamp and tighten the SOB's down.. make sure you do it all the way..

this happened to me also.. i couldnt hardly get the brakes on.. and when i did they were too tight...... my rotor was shot and so was my pad... (down to metal on metal also)..
i got a old rotor a friend had, and got them turned.. then put new pads on.. problem fixed....

you arent putting new pads on old rotors are you.... at the LEAST you need to get that rotor turned BEFORE you put new pads on..
yeah the pistion is compressed all the way, i had to get a new rotor cuz the old one couldnt be turned
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Squidz28
just curious, but that part your kinda holdin up does not look like it goes there. thats the caliper mountin bracket, but i think your just puttin it right there so we could see what you were talking about. when you put your caliper mounting bracket back on where it is supposed to go, the brake pads slid in the sides of them and wedge those little thin peice of metals to the upper and lower walls of the mountin bracket. the the caliper slides over the brake pads and pushes them toward the rotor more. once you tighten the caliper up the your rotar and it should spin but it will have just a slight grindin sound where the new pads and the rotor are hittin. this will go away. if you put your rotor on the hub and take one of the wheel nuts and tighten it down on it a little it will give you a little more space and make things easier. i hope i helped. sorry for the long message
the part i am holding up is the caliper and it shows the clearance i have without the outer brake pad in. I put the pads in the caliper and was trying to slide it on the rotor but is there another way to do it? i had to put on my old rotor and pads back on because i had to go to work and those barely fit on. Is there a write-up for this i need help today its my dd.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM

the pads slid into the mountin bracket and the caliper over them your not supposed to be squeezing the in between nothing.if i could draw you a picture on paint or somethin i would but i dont know how to show you
Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Squidz28
the pads slid into the mountin bracket and the caliper over them your not supposed to be squeezing the in between nothing.if i could draw you a picture on paint or somethin i would but i dont know how to show you
I just took of the whole caliper thats is what is said to do on haynes manual how do i just leave the mounting braket on and take of the calliper? or if im not making sense let me know
Old 01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Teal94Z
I just took of the whole caliper thats is what is said to do on haynes manual how do i just leave the mounting braket on and take of the calliper? or if im not making sense let me know
to take the rotor off, everything comes off... then it all goes back on in reverse order..

so yes the mounting bracket and caliper both come off.. then the rotor, new rotor goes on.. then bracket then brakes then caliper..

i think thats what your asking..
Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

If you are only replacing pads, the caliper mounting bracket doesn't need to be touched.

Follow the link above, click Install Documents on the left, and scroll down until you see the Brake Pad and Rotor Swap link. Obviously it's for doing pads AND rotors, but you can still apply the steps in your situation, just omit going on further to remove and replace the rotor.

Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

no reason to replace pads and not at LEAST turn the rotors..
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no reason to replace pads and not at LEAST turn the rotors..
Agreed. I don't even screw with that. I get new ones. Go big or go home!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

ok i got it thanks for all the help, what i did was remove the caliper, then the anchor bracket from the caliper, then bolted the anchor bracket back on the rearend, then installed the caliper with the new pads in it, so it all worked out, but my parking brake doesnt work anymore any ideas why?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok i got it thanks for all the help, what i did was remove the caliper, then the anchor bracket from the caliper, then bolted the anchor bracket back on the rearend, then installed the caliper with the new pads in it, so it all worked out, but my parking brake doesnt work anymore any ideas why?
glad you got it working...

whats wrong with it?

if its just pulling straight up with no resistance or anything like that.. then the spring may have popped off.... but let us know what its doing..
Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

glad you got it working...

whats wrong with it?

if its just pulling straight up with no resistance or anything like that.. then the spring may have popped off.... but let us know what its doing..
yeah exactly what you just said no resistance when i pull it up. so the spring popped off, would you know what spring? ill check that out tomorrow.

Last edited by Teal94Z; 01-06-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah exactly what you just said no resistance when i pull it up. so the spring popped off, would you know what spring? ill check that out tomorrow.
give me a minute and let me see if i can get you a pic... its an easy fix..
Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

give me a minute and let me see if i can get you a pic... its an easy fix..
well i cant find a pic of it...

what to do...

take your middle console out... take your shift handle off.. then there are a few screws in the middle compartment, and a few up in front of the shifter.. there about 7 total..

when taking off the console you need to have the car in D or 2nd or something if it is an auto, and in neutral if its a stick.. pull the ebrake up.. and careful not to brake anything, slide the console up over the shifter and ebrake handle..

after you get that off.. you should be able to see everything with the ebrake, air bag sensor, and so on... pull the ebrake handle a few times to see what your working with.... there will be a pretty good sized spring someone in there.. just reattach it to where its supposed to be (easy to see where things should be)..

check and make sure that works.. then put console back on, put shifter handle back on.. and you should be good to go..
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

well i cant find a pic of it...

what to do...

take your middle console out... take your shift handle off.. then there are a few screws in the middle compartment, and a few up in front of the shifter.. there about 7 total..

when taking off the console you need to have the car in D or 2nd or something if it is an auto, and in neutral if its a stick.. pull the ebrake up.. and careful not to brake anything, slide the console up over the shifter and ebrake handle..

after you get that off.. you should be able to see everything with the ebrake, air bag sensor, and so on... pull the ebrake handle a few times to see what your working with.... there will be a pretty good sized spring someone in there.. just reattach it to where its supposed to be (easy to see where things should be)..

check and make sure that works.. then put console back on, put shifter handle back on.. and you should be good to go..
just did that and the spring is still on but that isnt a big deal since i got a auto anyway but i noticed my pad only grabs half of the rotor(the other half is rusted) so do you guys have any idea what it could be? and its the rotor on the right side which is the one i didnt replace because it looked ok.