General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please Help, my car is 'stuttering'... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, my car is 'stuttering'... Advice?

Hey fellas, I have a problem with my Camaro and hopefully somebody can give me some advice.

The car has about 105,000 miles on it and I change the oil (Mobil 1) regularly, it is an automatic. I put Headers on about a year and a half ago, I used my old O2 Sensors but used an extension for them, I have no cats. My SES Light has been on since I have put the Headers on.

The problem is that when I drive it it will stutter, and it doesn't matter what gear its in or really what RPM either. I stay in/around 1,500-2,000 RPM and the stuttering will happen when I'm in top gear or when I'm at a dead stop at a red light.

The "stuttering" is almost like the car is wanting to die and today I was driving about 45 mph and it started so I gave it more gas to see if it would stop and it seemed to do it more. I thought it was gonna die on me. All the gauges read normal.

I don't think its the transmission. I believe its either the O2 sensors or something wrong with my fuel delivery. I haven't changed my fuel filter since I got it so could it be that?

I'm going today to see if Autozone can scan it for a code. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

any ideas?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

I checked the SES codes and they are the same ones that were there when I installed my Headers - the O2 sensor codes.

so no Codes thrown for the problem.. I bought a bottle of lucas and a new fuel filter and filled up with gas, maybe it was just bad gas or moisture in the tank. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

its probly the o2 sensors or did you get the rear ones deleted? I would take them out and look at them. when i put headers on i bought the 2002 corvette o2's and it fixed my problem that was like yours and you wont need extensions with those.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove your MAF and clean it with either brake cleaner or get some "real" maf cleaner. This is a start, seeing as this part is what tells the computer how much fuel to add and at what time. I think this will most likely fix it, unless its just a loose plug wire.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

00silver6 - yeah I didn't install them because I didn't need to. I never got them tuned out though.

bjamick - I'll try that, thanks. And if the problem persists I will check the spark plugs
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z28voodoo
00silver6 - yeah I didn't install them because I didn't need to. I never got them tuned out though.

bjamick - I'll try that, thanks. And if the problem persists I will check the spark plugs
Loss of power, rich, lean, running crappy, choking and bucking....and "stuttering", are all prime symptoms of bad 02 sensor(s).

The scan you get from the cheap scanners at Advance, Pep and others doesn;t tell you much info.

You need to get a real OBDII scanner like the dealers use, that scanner will tell you exactly how the 02 sensors are working.

Sure, clean the MAF, clean the MAP sensor, run a can of Sea Foam through your engine. But it sounds like bad 02's.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Launching!

02's affect long distance gas mileage... they will not try to cut the car out if anything it will run rich since they wouldn't really be reading the computer will try to compensate by dumping more fuel in there... congrats on the problem mine was doing that then it wouldn't start... finally threw a p0650 code and my tuner said most likely the pcm is fried... which seems about right because it felt like it lost the tune... and the surge i was feeling was like a bad ground somewhere kicking up intermittenly till it just wouldn't start
Old 01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Loss of power, rich, lean, running crappy, choking and bucking....and "stuttering", are all prime symptoms of bad 02 sensor(s).

The scan you get from the cheap scanners at Advance, Pep and others doesn;t tell you much info.

You need to get a real OBDII scanner like the dealers use, that scanner will tell you exactly how the 02 sensors are working.

Sure, clean the MAF, clean the MAP sensor, run a can of Sea Foam through your engine. But it sounds like bad 02's.
I do need to get it scanned by an actual good scanner, I was just hoping I may get lucky with Autozone's. I will try sea foam, is there any real problems from using it?

Originally Posted by beezer1519
02's affect long distance gas mileage... they will not try to cut the car out if anything it will run rich since they wouldn't really be reading the computer will try to compensate by dumping more fuel in there... congrats on the problem mine was doing that then it wouldn't start... finally threw a p0650 code and my tuner said most likely the pcm is fried... which seems about right because it felt like it lost the tune... and the surge i was feeling was like a bad ground somewhere kicking up intermittenly till it just wouldn't start
Thats what I thought too, that a bad O2 wouldn't feel like it would try to kill the car. I'm getting pretty good gas mileage too..

now that I think about it, my friends mustang did this a while back and it turned out it was his PCM too...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So have you tried cleaning the MAF yet? Ill bet that is your problem, i'm guessing you prob run a K&N air filter dont you?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=z28voodoo;10813285]I do need to get it scanned by an actual good scanner, I was just hoping I may get lucky with Autozone's. I will try sea foam, is there any real problems from using it?[quote]

Get the scan before spending any money on parts or Sea Foam. But a can of Sea Foam can't hurt, you will need (or at least SHOULD) change the fuel filter when you Sea Foam the gas though. I Sea Foam my car every 3-4 months, an entire can to 3/4 tank of gas, but I never change my filter afterwards. If you never did it you might want to though.

Thats what I thought too, that a bad O2 wouldn't feel like it would try to kill the car. I'm getting pretty good gas mileage too..
Not true. Bad 02's will try to kill the engine. Mine was bucking real bad and stalling when I stopped at traffic lights. On the highway it would lose power and stumble along to keep speed no matter how much pedal I gave it. That was for 2 days until I could get the sensors replaced. They were ruined because my tranny guy messed up the day before and tranny fluid was going through my engine and out the exhaust for about 5 minutes. Something with a module in the tranny.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bjamick
So have you tried cleaning the MAF yet? Ill bet that is your problem, i'm guessing you prob run a K&N air filter dont you?
I do and I have a FTRA kit.. Ill clean it tomorrow or the next day and see if that helps, thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Get the scan before spending any money on parts or Sea Foam. But a can of Sea Foam can't hurt, you will need (or at least SHOULD) change the fuel filter when you Sea Foam the gas though. I Sea Foam my car every 3-4 months, an entire can to 3/4 tank of gas, but I never change my filter afterwards. If you never did it you might want to though.

Not true. Bad 02's will try to kill the engine. Mine was bucking real bad and stalling when I stopped at traffic lights. On the highway it would lose power and stumble along to keep speed no matter how much pedal I gave it. That was for 2 days until I could get the sensors replaced. They were ruined because my tranny guy messed up the day before and tranny fluid was going through my engine and out the exhaust for about 5 minutes. Something with a module in the tranny.
Is seafoaming hard to do? I haven't looked into it that much. I'll search it in a second.

I found out today that it only started bucking on my way to work in the morning, its cold in the mornings. and i drove after I got home to my dads, which is about an hour away. It bucked right after I left my house and then stopped and ran 'decent' all the way untill i got about 2 miles from my dads house, it started again.
thoughts?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Here is what I would do-
Take your 02 sensors out and inspect them. You might have smashed, or stripped one of the sensors putting them in your headers during an install. Unlikely but **** happens.

Your non-existant rear 02s are trying to compare AFR's with your front 02's to check on the condition of your non-existant catalytic converter. See a problem here? This would explain the loss of power. But running pig rich doesn't usually cause stumbling. Running lean does. But with the stuttering your knock sensors should be going off. I'm not sure what else I would do, but it certainly wouldn't entail seafoaming. I still don't understand everyone's obsession with "shock" carbon treatments.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Is seafoaming hard to do? I haven't looked into it that much. I'll search it in a second.
With 3/4 of a tank of gas, pour 1 full can of Sea Foam into the gas tank. Thats it.

Sea Foaming the top end is just as easy, but a little bit more involved. Takes about 10 minutes to the top end and takes another full can.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess i'll be the one to tell this guy to go GET A PROFESSIONAL TUNE!!!! No substitute for that.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

like said you gotta get that stuff tuned out and my car did the same thing i changed the o2's with corvette ones and it fixed it but. if you get o2's you can try it if it dont work then take them back its easy and worth a try but hope ya find it man i know how it is
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

here's another thought...when was the last time you had your plugs/wires looked at? my car started to do exactly what yours is doing at around 120k. changed those bad boys out with some new ones and it's like diving a new car again!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

well it stuttered on me last night and finally died when i was driving around 45mph, i was basically limping it home.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

well it stuttered on me last night and finally died when i was driving around 45mph, i was basically limping it home.
Did you get a scan yet? Nothing will get fixed unless you do.

A bad Crank Shaft sensor and/or bad 02(s) can cause your issues.

If you keep driving it like that you could cause a detonation and destroy your engine.

Quick Reply: Please Help, my car is 'stuttering'... Advice?