General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

List of pieces that fail easily or weak links

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started the 9" fund yesterday since I decided to pass on axles and a rear TA cover. I am going to weld the axle tubes and let her fly! Hopefully it will last next year and over the Winter in 09-10 I will swap the 9" in.

I want to replace all the crap ASAP that will take out things that may ruin the whole deal.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
Did I miss anyone mentioning the CATs? There is a GM recall on them for some years because they fail so often.
nobody keeps them on their car long enough to find out..

Originally Posted by Aetos
Can you really mark that as a "common" problem then? Its not GMs fault that you constantly redline and add a bigger cam on the car. For stock purposes for people that can actually drive correctly (not bouncing off the rev limiter and not misshifting) shouldn't stock pushrods be fine? I accidentally redlined my engine for like 2-3 seconds and my pushrods seem fine(totally stock except for catback)
yes..

these cars were made to be redlined occasionally.. GM knew this.. do you know anyone who doesnt redline their car once a month or so.. i had a buddy of mine bend a pushrod on a BONE BONE stock ls1.. redline one time and it went..

most of the time they are ok.. but it is still a weak link.. just like i drive a 425rwhp car on the stock 10 bolt with 410s and a 4k stall.. and some people break them on stock setups.... just because i do it, doesnt mean its not a weak link..
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xhk651
nobody keeps them on their car long enough to find out..

yes..

these cars were made to be redlined occasionally.. GM knew this.. do you know anyone who doesnt redline their car once a month or so.. i had a buddy of mine bend a pushrod on a BONE BONE stock ls1.. redline one time and it went..

most of the time they are ok.. but it is still a weak link.. just like i drive a 425rwhp car on the stock 10 bolt with 410s and a 4k stall.. and some people break them on stock setups.... just because i do it, doesnt mean its not a weak link..
I don't think the engine was developed with constantly hitting the redline and nearly jumping off the limiter, especially when our RPM gauge is approximately 300rpm off. If you shift when you're supposed to(200-300rpm from the redline on our gauges), I doubt MOST people will break a pushrod on stock applications. Now, if you go and constantly hit the limiter then decide to shift, I can see the stress getting to the pushrods slowly. Yes, if people constantly push their cars to the limit and decide to hit the revlimiter it will blow, but I don't think you can blame GM for putting pushrods that will handle stock power fine if driven correctly. Most of the time I hear people with M6s breaking pushrods, not A4s, coincidence(Unless I'm wrong)?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

I don't think the engine was developed with constantly hitting the redline and nearly jumping off the limiter, especially when our RPM gauge is approximately 300rpm off. If you shift when you're supposed to(200-300rpm from the redline on our gauges), I doubt MOST people will break a pushrod on stock applications. Now, if you go and constantly hit the limiter then decide to shift, I can see the stress getting to the pushrods slowly. Yes, if people constantly push their cars to the limit and decide to hit the revlimiter it will blow, but I don't think you can blame GM for putting pushrods that will handle stock power fine if driven correctly. Most of the time I hear people with M6s breaking pushrods, not A4s, coincidence(Unless I'm wrong)?
i didnt say constantly.. i said occasionally... and yes im sure they did have it in mind thats what kind of car they were building..

i have seen quite a few A4's with bent rods.. m6s are def. more common.. but it happens commonly to both..
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xhk651
i didnt say constantly.. i said occasionally... and yes im sure they did have it in mind thats what kind of car they were building..

i have seen quite a few A4's with bent rods.. m6s are def. more common.. but it happens commonly to both..
I wonder how common it is for people that drive their car normally, not the speed fanatics on this forum that press the go fast pedal into high rpm ranges whenever possible and barely have a stock car.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

I wonder how common it is for people that drive their car normally, not the speed fanatics on this forum that press the go fast pedal into high rpm ranges whenever possible and barely have a stock car.

that would be interesting to see..
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Heres my list

Spongy Clutch_____SHOULD OF BEEN RECALLED
Warped Rotors_____SHOULD OF BEEN RECALLED
Window Motors_____SHOULD OF BEEN RECALLED
10 Bolt_____SHOULD OF BEEN RECALLED
Rattling Panels
Bubbling Melting Roof
Knotchy Shifter
Piston Slap
Monsoon Speakers
Turn Signal
Passenger Seat Becomes Loose
Seat Belts Rub and Ruin Plastic
Headlights Fade
Pushrods(Had to change mine)
Ill probally think of more things to add..But even with all these little things you still gotta love a fbody but I always why gm didnt recall some of these issues!