General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clogged injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged injectors?

when car is at a idle it runs fine but when i drive it it stumbles and falls on its face ive already done plugs wires and switched out o2s can anyone help me its really starting to get old
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildn347
when car is at a idle it runs fine but when i drive it it stumbles and falls on its face ive already done plugs wires and switched out o2s can anyone help me its really starting to get old
Its normally the opposite. Clogged fuel injectors or a clogged fuel filter will allow the car to run well under throttle and it should stumble at idle. When you are into the throttle the fuel pressure increases and will almost always over come the clogging filter, then when you come off the throttle or at idle the clog will then have an affect on the fuel flow.

Bad 02's cause stumbling while under acceleration though. Maybe check the wires. Hope you didn't buy Bosch 02's. They do not work on my car, don't ask me why.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

i changed out my fuel filter and my stumbled seems (knock on wood) to have dissappeared
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If its worse at WOT and is related more to engine RPM and speed - you should try cleaning your MAF. (In addition to making sure your fuel filter is good.) A dirty MAF causes the PCM to think that less air is entering the engine and it cuts your fuel in response.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

really need some help i checked fuel pressure and its good i took the cats off and it still is doing the same thing so its not clogged cats can anyone help me this is really starting to get old
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

anyone??? this is holding up my cam swap
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming everything is okay with your fuel, then electrical would be my next guess--check your battery cables, make sure they're on tight- if you have side posts look in there as corrosion may be hard to spot, check alternator, maybe do a load test on your battery?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Assuming everything is okay with your fuel, then electrical would be my next guess--check your battery cables, make sure they're on tight- if you have side posts look in there as corrosion may be hard to spot, check alternator, maybe do a load test on your battery?
i wouldnt think it would have to do with that since the car idles fine and will rev fine sometime then if you let it warm up just a little and rev it it sputters.. i think i might have fried a o2 wire because when i switched out the driver side o2 it had electrical tape melted to it so maybe one of my wires got melted to or my one or more of my injectors are dead.. its snowing/freezing rain outside so be a couple days till i can check this stuff...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 AM
8 Second Club

When it is dead cold is some what better. If so it is a sensor when it goes into closed loop may be where the problem is . As stated check your maf and may want to look at the map sensor. I know on the older cars you could unplug the MAF and it would put the check engine light on but it would run in open loop. I had to do that one time i drove from the track home 50 miles NOS backfire killed the MAF so i unpluged it it turned the fans and the light on but it would run ok no stumble may try that but that was an lt1 car. Also you check fuel presure under load? just trying to help
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hesitation or misfiring when accelerating. This may be due to a vacuum leak, but it can also be caused by dirty fuel injectors, a weak fuel pump (low fuel pressure) or a faulty fuel pressure regulator. It can also be caused my ignition misfire due to worn or fouled spark plugs, bad spark plug wires, or weak ignition coil.
This is a quote from the link provided below and it tells you how to check for vacuum leaks as well as EGR( which opens when warm and may account for the difference between hot and cold?):

http://www.aa1car.com/random-misfire/

Check it out and Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

fixed was a melted o2 wire
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem you are describing and it turned out to be a few bad injectors. They were not clogged but the resistance level was higher than normal. I popped in new injectors and fixed the problem.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildn347
fixed was a melted o2 wire
Cool, thats what I figured.

Quick Reply: clogged injectors?