General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start! Turns over and wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bastien
not7fifteen, it happens 80% of the time. I turn my key, hear the fuel getting pumped, try to start it and it cranks but never fires up...however, it fires up on the 2nd try. I have just learned to live with it.
I wish that was the case for me, was the first time, then since then it just won't start at all... the second time it happened i tried probably 10 times then went back 2 hours later and turned the key on off on off on off on off then it finally started, but i was in my other car with no parking sticker so i had to leave it, go back, then it started right up again, but then after turning it off in my driveway it wont start again and hasnt since thursday...
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it seems this issue has been coming up a lot lately with the age of these cars. My car did it for like a year and I suspected it was a VATS issue. It was cranking but not starting and I did not have a security light staying on so it wasn't VATS. I replaced the fuel pump and I still had the issue. I had plenty of fuel pressure at the rail and it would occasionally start. After awhile it wouldn't start at all. It ended up being an ignition relay after spending all the money on a pump. Don't swap with other relays as you may just be swapping a bad relay into another place that will still make your car not start. Put a new ignition relay in it. I bet it will fix the problem and it's cheap. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

MTN Z I can't thank you enough... after spending countless hours with this issue it DID indeed turn out to be a freakin Ignition Relay...

THANK YOU MTN Z!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem man. I was at my wits end on this issue also so I am glad I could be of help.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ignition relay... Is it possible to test it ?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure, but they're only $8.00 so just go pick one up and swap them, if thats not it you have a spare or return it.

Quick Reply: Car won't start! Turns over and wont start...