General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start! Turns over and wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't start! Turns over and wont start...

It did this once before and i let it sit for a second and then it started.

Problem happens when you turn the key to start it and you think its started and let go of the key pre-maturely and it dies... then it does not want to start. Last time I took out the key, put it back in turned it and it finally started.

Today it happened at noon, its 3:30 now and still no luck... Fuel pump kicks on and everything and it sounds real healthy turning over, just won't actually start...

Any ideas, anyone else had this happen?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright so i just turned the key back and forth 4-5 times then it starts... weird... could that be a clogged fuel filter or something and i primed it enough to get fuel through? Its got a full tank of gas...
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so I went back outside to leave and its doing it again.... what gives?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Have you ever ran out of gas? Or the person you bought the car from. A long time ago 02-03 time frame I had a friend with the same problem on his Z after running out of gas. The dealership wouldn't warranty the new fuel pump for that problem as well. Man that wasn't cheap but you said it sounds healthy? Does it actually turn over and run then die? squirt some starter fluid in the intake and if it runs for a few seconds and then dies its fuel related.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the coolant temp gauge doing anything funny..............the ct sensor broke on my ride one time and it would do the same thing
Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

subscribing.. my car has been doing this for 2 years... can't find what's wrong with it.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never ran out of gas since I've had it, its full now practically and doing it...

Coolant temp wasnt doing anything funny but the car had been sitting for a few hours so it was buried cold both times this happened....

bastien, how often does it do it? Does it do it when you release the key before it starts all the way like i was saying? I hate it
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly change the fuel filter first and see what that does. Also it could be lack of spark or air as well. Try the starting fluid ASAP and let us know it would be easier to diagnose if we know its fuel or something else.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for no updates, was out of town for the weekend. After class tomorrow I'm going to unhook the battery and let the ECU reset. If that doesnt work I'll run to advanced and pick up a new fuel filter and some starting fluid. I contacted the PO and he said the cars fuel filter had never been changed anyway so thats a starting point and probably good measure to replace anyway. I'll post back tomorrow and let you guys know if any of these three things solved it. The PO agreed this could be a crank angle sensor issue like someone else had mentioned... Hes an ASE cert. mechanic...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the security light on the instrument panel flashing or on steady when this occurs?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its not on at all I don't think, I'll go double check this in a min when I go outside to mess with the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, resetting the ecu didn't help... And how could a GM service dept. be so busy they can't test a damn key today, had to set an appointment tomorrow for it. From what I was told all they need to do was insert the key into the machine to check it... geez... Oh well, I'll update the thread tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's cranking shouldn't be a key/VATS issue, something else is going on. If you're bringing your key to the dealer just to check the resistance/pelet # don't think that will help you.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well its getting fuel preassure I believe.... Pump turns on, shrader valve on fuel rail shot gas out when i checked that... Not getting spark apparently..

Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Is the security light on the instrument panel flashing or on steady when this occurs?
And the security light stays on solid for about 5 seconds while trying to start then shuts off
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you can find something in the cranks, doesn't run diagnosis: www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8794.php
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

not7fifteen, it happens 80% of the time. I turn my key, hear the fuel getting pumped, try to start it and it cranks but never fires up...however, it fires up on the 2nd try. I have just learned to live with it.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be a fuel filter.. a clogged one will cause hard starting problems

my fathers car had a similar problem, he would hit his remote start, and come out to the car not even running

i went to take a look at it, and started it, took it for a little drive, then started to smell gas, got home and gas was pouring out of the fuel pump side of the filter because it was so clogged
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
If it's cranking shouldn't be a key/VATS issue, something else is going on. If you're bringing your key to the dealer just to check the resistance/pelet # don't think that will help you.
Actually it can be a VATS issue.

VATS works two ways.

1. The BCM will prevent the starter from engaging. Starter is BCM controlled, not by the PCM.

and/or

2. The BCM doesn't send the "ok to run" signal to the PCM and the PCM cuts fuel shortly after cranking.

This is a common problem with Passkey and Passlock.

I just had this problem last week with the Suburban. Since the BCM would crank the engine but the PCM wouldn't keep fuel running, I just disabled VATS with my HPTuners.

To determine if it is, in fact, VATS killing the engine.....

Insert the key, turn it to "on" without starting engine. After all the indicator lights go out that normally come on for the bulb check, the security light should go out also. Turn the key to "start" and check to see if the security light comes on. It should not. If it does, you problem is most likely VATS related.

If it doesn't, it could be something else.

If you have an O2 or MAP sensor that isn't quite right and the MAF sensor fails, the engine can exhibit the same problem, without setting a code.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Actually it can be a VATS issue.

VATS works two ways.

1. The BCM will prevent the starter from engaging. Starter is BCM controlled, not by the PCM.

and/or

2. The BCM doesn't send the "ok to run" signal to the PCM and the PCM cuts fuel shortly after cranking.

This is a common problem with Passkey and Passlock.

I just had this problem last week with the Suburban. Since the BCM would crank the engine but the PCM wouldn't keep fuel running, I just disabled VATS with my HPTuners.

To determine if it is, in fact, VATS killing the engine.....

Insert the key, turn it to "on" without starting engine. After all the indicator lights go out that normally come on for the bulb check, the security light should go out also. Turn the key to "start" and check to see if the security light comes on. It should not. If it does, you problem is most likely VATS related.

If it doesn't, it could be something else.

If you have an O2 or MAP sensor that isn't quite right and the MAF sensor fails, the engine can exhibit the same problem, without setting a code.

I really hope that thats it becuase now that i think about it i believe the security light does go off when I just leave the key "on" then when I go to start it the security light comes back on for about 5-6 seconds then goes off.

And that would go along with it being very intermittent... I wish I was back home, I'd have my tuner just disable it... oh well, I'll just go take the key to the dealership tomorrow for my appointment and see if thats the issue...

As far as fuel filter, I've got a new one to put on but its 10* out and never got above 30 today so I didn't feel like messing with hard rubber lines outside on the ground in the gravel... If its not the chip in the key tomorrow I'll do the fuel filter and if its not that I'm going to pull a plug to see what they look like...

Quick Reply: Car won't start! Turns over and wont start...