General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Backfire on start up...wtf over!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backfire on start up...wtf over!?

Sometimes when I start it up and give it gas...it gives a small backfire. What causes this? I think it started doing it after the SLP tune.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JJT
Sometimes when I start it up and give it gas...it gives a small backfire. What causes this? I think it started doing it after the SLP tune.
How old are your sprak plugs?

Also, do you ever get smoke trails when you hit the gas from a cruising speed of like 60mph?

See if you have any oil on any of your spark plug threads. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you have a bad valve seal(s) and its leaking oil onto one or more plugs AFTER shutdown. Then when you start it up a spark plug may not fire properly till that dried/burnt up oil that is stuck to the spark plug comes off the plug. The fuel thats going in there though accumulates and pools, then when it does fire its a backfire.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Thanks man...good info, I will check that out.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

I've had the same thing happen, start the car up and go to pull out onto the road. If my rpms go over 3k and I let off the gas quick I get this LOUD pop noise sometimes.

Also I did notice when I was changing my spark plugs that one of them had fresh oil on the end of it.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by epox4life
I've had the same thing happen, start the car up and go to pull out onto the road. If my rpms go over 3k and I let off the gas quick I get this LOUD pop noise sometimes.

Also I did notice when I was changing my spark plugs that one of them had fresh oil on the end of it.
Yeah, you both may have the same issue. It takes a bit to get the oil that dries and gums up on the electrode part of the spark plug AFTER shutdown. The spark plug is still hot as **** and the oil that drips onto it sticks to it like glue. After it burns off you can cruise away.

Next time you start it up when its cold, hold the rpm's steady with pedal at say 1,200 rpm. Just hold it there, see if the rpm's start to climb little by little by itself while it warms up (don't move the pedal at all). Thats the **** burning off the electrodes making a better spark each time it lights.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yeah, you both may have the same issue. It takes a bit to get the oil that dries and gums up on the electrode part of the spark plug AFTER shutdown. The spark plug is still hot as **** and the oil that drips onto it sticks to it like glue. After it burns off you can cruise away.

Next time you start it up when its cold, hold the rpm's steady with pedal at say 1,200 rpm. Just hold it there, see if the rpm's start to climb little by little by itself while it warms up (don't move the pedal at all). Thats the **** burning off the electrodes making a better spark each time it lights.
What needs to be replaced to fix this? You said a valve seal could cause oil to leak onto a spark plug after shutdown, what else could?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Thanks man, I will do that...hey is there any long term damage that could happen if I don't fix this ASAP? DAMMIT!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJT
Thanks man, I will do that...hey is there any long term damage that could happen if I don't fix this ASAP? DAMMIT!
IF.....it is a bad valve seal(s), then the only way to fix it is to remove the head(s) and get new seals put in. Time consuming job, but not too expensive.

Nothing at all wrong with driving around like that for years if you want to. I would just recommmend to NEVER get on the gas until that **** burns off and there is NO MORE misfiring and stumbling. Wait till it clears up before you drive off. You can hurt the engine badly by accelerating while you are misfiring and detonating and stumbling.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

IF.....it is a bad valve seal(s), then the only way to fix it is to remove the head(s) and get new seals put in. Time consuming job, but not too expensive.

Nothing at all wrong with driving around like that for years if you want to. I would just recommmend to NEVER get on the gas until that **** burns off and there is NO MORE misfiring and stumbling. Wait till it clears up before you drive off. You can hurt the engine badly by accelerating while you are misfiring and detonating and stumbling.
Mine only makes the backfire sound after I let off the gas (when the engine is cold) other than that it doesn't feel like a misfire or anything.
Could running lean cause this?

Last edited by epox4life; 05-25-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Mine only makes the backfire sound after I let off the gas (when the engine is cold) other than that it doesn't feel like a misfire or anything.
Could running lean cause this?
After its warmed up does it STOP backfiring?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

After its warmed up does it STOP backfiring?
Completely, stops.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Completely, stops.
You probably have a bad valve seal(s) too.

Quick Reply: Backfire on start up...wtf over!?