General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pre-purchase car inspection help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009 | 03:38 AM
Teching In

Default Pre-purchase car inspection help

Hey guys I'm going to look at my first Fbody/LS1 car soon and I'm wondering if there are any areas I should pay extra attention to while inspecting the car? It's an 01 WS6, all stock, auto, 45k miles. Thanks
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Depending on how much you can inspect.

1) Tires- Do they say F1 Tires on it?? Do they have dry rot, if original they will. I bought a set of rims off a good buddy that had 16k on them 01 Ws.6 and they were stored and still had dry rot cracks. Also if the car had been abused. Rubber in the wheel well or under the bumper

2) Brakes- Again inspect, should need replacing if not already done, stock rotors tend to warp and when car tend to re warp again.

3) Transmission- Inspect the fluid, often it is changed before sale, but again the trans should not be sloppy, should be firm shifts

4) Check for any leaks

5) Matience- Ask for proof or paper work, and also see if the paint is clean, smooth (regularly waxed), well maintained. Also interior if leather is clean, no tears on the bolster on the seat.

This should give yea a good start.
Old 06-18-2009 | 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

^ good stuff ^

On a used car you can't look long enough.

Take a long test drive, not just around the block.

Look under the seats, you can usually tell if the car was kept clean or just cleaned up.

If the tires were replaced make sure they were top quality tires or don't accept an upcharge for it. A new set of crappy tires will need to be replaced just like an old set of good ones.

Good Luck!

Last edited by 91RS383; 06-18-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2009 | 12:49 PM
Internet Mechanic

^ Agreed, under neath the carpet often tells all. I had a very clean car that I bought and still found cigarette butts and petrified McDonalds french fries.
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

I would for sure recommend a long drive. Make sure there are no Check Engine lights that pop on after driving the car for a bit. Also might want to drive it for a while and take it to autozone and have them pull the codes and see if there are any. Sometimes this can warn you of issues with the car or maybe ones that are coming soon.
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:49 PM
Internet Mechanic

^ Good advice, not all DTC set off a MIL light.
Old 06-18-2009 | 06:39 PM
Launching!

Just a suggestion....don't buy an auto...i regret it everyday and I was in the same boat as you but nobody helped me.
Old 06-18-2009 | 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

i bought my car cause it was the ONLY oone that i could find LS1/m6 and it had no leaks..and was bone stock..room for lotta mods. but get in the car, test drive, check all fluids before you go anywhere..drive the car, then have it up off the ground and check for leaks, scrape marks, rubber in the fender wells..exhaust leaks..all of it..and if anything was done ask where it was done at..who did the work..where the parts came from etc.etc.
Old 06-18-2009 | 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Iceman can
Just a suggestion....don't buy an auto...i regret it everyday and I was in the same boat as you but nobody helped me.
What do you dislike about it? I don't plan on racing this car or even modding it really.
Old 06-18-2009 | 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Start it from a cold start if possable. To see if it has piston slap. I know people that have prewarmed cars so you couldn't hear it. Take a look at oil pressure as well. Check the coolant for sludge. Make sure the tranny fluid is good. Basically check over all the fluids. Roll the windows up and down a few times to check the condition of the motors.
Old 06-19-2009 | 06:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Start it from a cold start if possable. To see if it has piston slap. I know people that have prewarmed cars so you couldn't hear it.
Bear in mind that piston slap is common. I have seen a car sound like a diesel but runs perfect, every car is different.
Old 06-19-2009 | 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

Piston slap is pretty common with LS1's and I have seen many that have it and run like raped apes so I don't think that is really that bad as long as you are sure its not a knock and the oil pressure looks good.

The auto comment is different for everybody. I bought an automatic and I have loved every minute of it. It depends on what you want from the car. If you want to drag race it at the track and really turn some good times with it then the auto is the way to go. If you just want a fun car to cruise in and have some fun then maybe the manual is the way to go for you. If you do go for an auto though a torque converter is pretty much a must have. Will make the car much more fun to drive for you.