General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?

i want to install a new power steering pump in my camaro but i read that i have to flush the power steering system in my 2000 LS1 camaro before i install the new power steering pump to not damage it.

any one knows how to flush the power steering system in my car?

thanks for help.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
i want to install a new power steering pump in my camaro but i read that i have to flush the power steering system in my 2000 LS1 camaro before i install the new power steering pump to not damage it.

any one knows how to flush the power steering system in my car?

thanks for help.
Do you have a power steering fluid cooler?

Just take the line off coming from the rack. Have the ries in the air. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from left to right all the way. The fluid will spray out of the line.

Don't let it run without fluid in there for long. You could have a friend keep pouring new fluid in while it sprays out to keep it full.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427

Just take the line off coming from the rack. Have the ries in the air. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from left to right all the way. The fluid will spray out of the line.

Don't let it run without fluid in there for long. You could have a friend keep pouring new fluid in while it sprays out to keep it full.

thanks for the help. i'm not sure if i have power steering fluid cooler? i will check that.

what is ries? and what is rack? do you mean by rack the part of the power steering system that is under the engine?

when i turn the steering wheel from left to right do i need to do it after that from right to left and then again from left to right and so on while flushing the power steering system?

or i just do it one time turning the steering wheel from left to right?

how much fluid do i need to flush the power steering system? is it 2 or 3 quarts? more or less?

thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abdullah
thanks for the help. i'm not sure if i have power steering fluid cooler? i will check that.

what is ries? and what is rack? do you mean by rack the part of the power steering system that is under the engine?

when i turn the steering wheel from left to right do i need to do it after that from right to left and then again from left to right and so on while flushing the power steering system?

or i just do it one time turning the steering wheel from left to right?

how much fluid do i need to flush the power steering system? is it 2 or 3 quarts? more or less?

thanks.
Sorry.....tires in the air. Don't use ramps. The "rack" is the cylinder that goes across almost from tire to tire under the front of the car. its what holds the fluid down below and has the metal lines going to and from the poer steering pump reservior.

This is the factory power steering fluid cooler. I took mine off and put an aftermarket cooelr on. Its a piece of **** that really only "HEATS" the power steering fluid, get rid of it if you have it.

Name:  DSC01665.jpg
Views: 4849
Size:  199.3 KB
Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im doing my powersteering pump right now wuts this about the power steering cooler can u elaberate and i also wondering if there is any thing special i have to do to put the pulley on the shaft
Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by natejk
im doing my powersteering pump right now wuts this about the power steering cooler can u elaberate and i also wondering if there is any thing special i have to do to put the pulley on the shaft
Well, the GM factory cooler which you see in that picture does NOT work. Its a power steering fluid HEATER.

While you're driving around the power steering fluid is running through that "cooler" and its being heated by coolant that is upwards of 230 degrees.

When I put my aftermarket power steering cooler on, it is never more than just warm to the touch. Its like putting my hand on my hood after a 1 hour drive, just warm. You put your hand on that factory power steering cooler after a 1 hour drive and you'll have 3rd degree burns.

$40 and 30 minutes to do this: Just razor knifed a strip out of the air dam.

Name:  DSC01789.jpg
Views: 3790
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  DSC01790.jpg
Views: 3426
Size:  106.0 KB

For cooling while your moving:

Name:  DSC01786.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  105.8 KB

Name:  DSC01787.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  93.8 KB
Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Launching!

nice did you just extend the lines from the old cooler to the new cooler and any ideas about the pulley on the pump ive heard you need a special tool
Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

nice did you just extend the lines from the old cooler to the new cooler and any ideas about the pulley on the pump ive heard you need a special tool
I really don't know about the pulley removal deal, but alot of guys here know about it. I'd start a new thread, you'll get some hits.

The 3/8" hose that runs from the bottom of the reservior to the factory cooler, I removed it and replaced it with a new hose. The other hose coming from the rack I reused, it was still perfect plus its alos a rubber/metal line and I was glad I didn't have to deal with that. Its really easy, just a 20-30 minute job.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Launching!

cool thanx man appreciate it
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

good info
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

i forgot to ask wut did you block the holes off with or did you even bother with it
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

i forgot to ask wut did you block the holes off with or did you even bother with it
Get rid of it altogether and those two rubber end hoses, and buy a straight upper radiator hose. Just get one for your car, but on the parts stores computer get the one that says, "without power steering cooler."
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 questions:

1. does the cooler have specific ins and outs or can it be hooked up either way? lets say that you are looking at the cooler and it has the nipples for the 2 hoses on the left side, one above another. can the top nipple be either an in or an out or is it a specific one?

2. anyone know how much fluid the power steering system holds all together? i am trying to figure out how much PSF to buy.

thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdoyle
2 questions:

1. does the cooler have specific ins and outs or can it be hooked up either way? lets say that you are looking at the cooler and it has the nipples for the 2 hoses on the left side, one above another. can the top nipple be either an in or an out or is it a specific one?

2. anyone know how much fluid the power steering system holds all together? i am trying to figure out how much PSF to buy.

thanks
It doesn't matter how the lines attach, it just goes in and out of it.

I think when I flushed my PS system completely, I bought 4 bottles. But I flushed mine where I let it run while pouring new fluid in until I saw the fresh clean fluid coming out into the pan. So I knew I was gonna lose some new stuff in the process. Its cheap, just get 5 bottles.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427

I did this recently. Messy, but effective. My PS fluid is clear now. Better be quick on the fill. The fluid pumps out quick when the engine is running.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I did this recently. Messy, but effective. My PS fluid is clear now. Better be quick on the fill. The fluid pumps out quick when the engine is running.
I capped off the reservoir port. Then I started the engine and then walked over and started pouring new fluid in. I had a vice grip hanging from the end of the line that was squirting the old fluid into the catch pan so it all sprayed right in. As soon as it was running out clear I turned the engine off, then put that hose end onto my new cooler. Popped the cap off the reservoir QUICKLY and put that line on and attached it to the cooler also. Then topped off the fluid.

Pretty easy and fast.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

What kind of PS fluid are you guys using? I ask because lots of times I just run Dexron III trans fluid, and I've got a gallon of that laying around.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how I did my pump, used 1.5 quarts of fluid:

1. let cool
2. disconnect lines from rack
3. disconnect cooler and move it out of the way
4. pull off the pulley
5. unbolt pump
6. bolt in new pump
7. install pulley
8. reconnect lines to rack and cooler
9. fill with fluid
10. turn pump counter clockwise by hand until bubbles stop (refill if needed)
11. start car for 3 seconds (let sit for 2 minutes, add fluid)
12. start car for 10 seconds (let sit, add fluid)
13. run car with wheels in air and turn lock to lock 10 or 15 times (add fluid)
14. run car with wheels on ground and turn lock to lock 10 or 15 times (add fluid)
15. go for test drive, add fluid if needed

For now I just used cheap Prestone stuff. When I flush it later on I'll use Redline or Motul, I just wanted to get it done and didn't want to wait for it to ship.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could you guys explain which hose you are removing when flushing the PS system?

do you put the hose that is on the far right of the reservoir into the drain pan? you say, "Just take the line off coming from the rack." exactly which one are you talking about?

if you have pictures, those would work the best for me.

thank you.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdoyle
could you guys explain which hose you are removing when flushing the PS system?

do you put the hose that is on the far right of the reservoir into the drain pan? you say, "Just take the line off coming from the rack." exactly which one are you talking about?

if you have pictures, those would work the best for me.

thank you.
The line that is attached to the bottom drivers side of the pump reservoir with one clamp.....take that off. But have a rubber vacuum cap to put on real fast so the fluid doesn't come out. If you leave the PS pump cap on while you do this you should only lose a few drops while doing it real fast. After that cap is on and clamped so the fluid will not run out of the port....put that hose end down into the pan and use a vice grip to hold it onto the pans edge...if you don't have a friend to help you. Take the cap off of the PS reservoir. Start the engine and wait till the fluid level starts to drop and squirt out of the hose into the pan....immediately start pouring new fluid into the reservoir. Do this with a friend standing by to turn the engine off and to turn the steering wheel from side to side while your pouring the fluid in to keep it topped off. **DON'T LET IT RUN DRY** As soon as you see the new clean fluid come out of the hose into the pan. Your done. Take the rubber cap off real fast and reattach the hose, clamp it back on then fill the reservoir to the full level. Start it back up to see if the level drops to make sure its at the full line, top off as neccessary, then put the cap on.

Thats it. Takes 5-10 minutes.

Quick Reply: how to flush power steering system of my 2000 LS1 camaro?