General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Taillight housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rear Taillight housing

My rear taillight housing seems to be darker than the other. What is this from? Has anyone see this before?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem. I noticed condensation in my reverse light. I am thinking it may be the same issue in the tail light. Gonna take it out and check. I know they do not seal these things. I had to seal my DRL's with silicone to avoid water getting in the new ones. I am going to attempt the same with the reverse light and tail light if possible.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a write up somewhere on how to put the tail light housings in an oven, that makes the factory sealer get soft so you can take the housing apart. Then you take the inside half and sand it down and repaint it with silver reflective paint. Then you seal it back together with bonding glue.

Makes them bright again like new.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for heads up! Will search.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

link the link when you find it pls
Old 08-20-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on Condensation in the tailight/rev light housing. I noticed my left rev. light housing had condensation in it, but didn't think much of it. Then I too noticed that the far right brake light (closest to the outter rear fender) looked not as bright as the other two. Then I got really close to the tail light housing and can make out water droplets from what I think. Although, it's hard with the lense being black and red, but that's what I think I can make out. It's too bad these things are like $300 each I think. I will probably just buy a left and right one when I have the money and seal them with clear silicone from the get go and forget about it.

Let us know what you do.

Adam
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Found this, but its Honda Forums.

Like I said though, there is a write with pictures and directions of an LS1 tail light. I think the oven for the LS1 write up was like 200*.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php...4&#entry286044

Instructions Part One: Lamp Unit Disassembly

CAUTION: Be prepared to handle car parts heated to over 300ºF

1. Clips:
Remove all clips from the Lamp Unit.

2. Glue:
In order to separate the lens from the Lamp Unit, the glue holding the two together will need to be softened. Place the Lamp Unit in an oven that has been preheated at 325-350ºF. Leave the Lamp Unit in for 6-7 minutes. Do not leave the Lamp Unit unattended! Monitor the heating process by checking the viscosity of the glue around the edge of the Lamp Unit, it is ready when the glue has a soft consistency. Be sure to pull the Lamp Unit out of the oven should the plastic appear to be melting.

3. Separation:
Start from the top corner; pull apart the Lamp Unit by cutting through the now very hot glue. Taking care not to crack the plastic lens, gently pull apart the Lamp Unit. A heat gun or blow dryer can be used to re-soften the glue should it begin to harden.

4. Repeat:
Repeat steps 1-3 with the Left Lamp Unit and both Aftermarket Lamp Units.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

Has anyone with a darker lamp replaced a tailamp lately? We found on accident that the Formula tailamp is darker than the TA and when you get them together it is really stands out as being different. The computers we use does not tell us that we just discovered it.
Good luck and I will ask around too and see if anyone at our shop knows anything else that might help
Lynete
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

The darker Formula light is 98 only I just learned from my boss. Thanks for the info on restoring those that have leaked. I will pass it on. We see so many of these vehicles
and hate it when we have to get rid of something because it can't be fixed. We recycle 100% of each vehicle.
Remember me if you need parts or have questions
Lynette
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Found this, but its Honda Forums.

Like I said though, there is a write with pictures and directions of an LS1 tail light. I think the oven for the LS1 write up was like 200*.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php...4&#entry286044

Instructions Part One: Lamp Unit Disassembly

CAUTION: Be prepared to handle car parts heated to over 300ºF

1. Clips:
Remove all clips from the Lamp Unit.

2. Glue:
In order to separate the lens from the Lamp Unit, the glue holding the two together will need to be softened. Place the Lamp Unit in an oven that has been preheated at 325-350ºF. Leave the Lamp Unit in for 6-7 minutes. Do not leave the Lamp Unit unattended! Monitor the heating process by checking the viscosity of the glue around the edge of the Lamp Unit, it is ready when the glue has a soft consistency. Be sure to pull the Lamp Unit out of the oven should the plastic appear to be melting.

3. Separation:
Start from the top corner; pull apart the Lamp Unit by cutting through the now very hot glue. Taking care not to crack the plastic lens, gently pull apart the Lamp Unit. A heat gun or blow dryer can be used to re-soften the glue should it begin to harden.

4. Repeat:
Repeat steps 1-3 with the Left Lamp Unit and both Aftermarket Lamp Units.
This one will have to wait. To be honest, I wish the other looked like the darker one. It has a soft perfectly even smokey look to it. And looks good on my black TA. The lights are obviously slightly dimmer due to the film; however they are still bright enough day or night.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This seems like a lot of trouble. Yes it saves money, but I feel like there's a lot of room for error (i.e. cracking, warping the housing, etc.). Why not just try a junk yard if you don't want to pay the money for some new ones? However, I understand that there are some that really enjoy the "figure the problem out yourself with homemade methods" on these boards. My hats off to them. I personally like to save up and then just get the proper parts outright and know that things were replaced properly. That's just me though.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
This seems like a lot of trouble. Yes it saves money, but I feel like there's a lot of room for error (i.e. cracking, warping the housing, etc.). Why not just try a junk yard if you don't want to pay the money for some new ones? However, I understand that there are some that really enjoy the "figure the problem out yourself with homemade methods" on these boards. My hats off to them. I personally like to save up and then just get the proper parts outright and know that things were replaced properly. That's just me though.
Agreed, they are just plain defective sometimes too...

For example...

My 2002 Trans Am..

I bought it with 8k miles in 10/2003.

Both tail lamps were perfectly bright.

In about a year, the passenger one got really dark as well as the condensation in the reverse light. I replaced it at the dealer under warranty. They grabbed the old one, threw it in the garbage, and slapped on a new one.

It's 2009, it's still good, PLUS the original driver one is still JUST AS NEW, too.

Now, my 1999... Guess what. I bought it with 80k miles over a year ago, and guess which tail light was bad... lol, the passenger side one. I bought a replacement at a junkyard we have locally that specializes only in Trans Ams, TACreationsusa.com. They charged me $50, and now they're both perfect. On this Trans Am, my '99, I am sure the driver side one is original...

If they're not defective, they will never develop that problem...

If they are, do yourself a favor and buy one from the TONS of junkyards that have assloads of POS V6 Firebirds wrecked from the front with mint tail lights free from the defect.