12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 SS, Irregular Idle and Occasional Stall

My car is an '02 SS Camaro. ~45K miles
My only mods are:
3600 RPM converter
K&N Filter
MT Drag Radials
I drive the car vary rarely and mostly just to the track for a bracket race 50mi each way and 3-8 passes avg, totaling about 1K miles a year.

I've been having an idle issue for several months. Whenever the engine is warm it has a tough time holding idle steady. It usually balances out but sometimes it bounces from 1000 to below 500 (indicated) RPM and nearly stalls. When this happens the voltage drops, lights flicker, etc. I've had several instances while driving slowly in parking lots with the A/C on that it actually stalls. I've also got a whine I can hear when the engine/transmission is hot. The whine sounds like it may be the power steering pump.

Things I've done in order:
Cleaned IAC/TB/MAF
Replaced IAC
Replaced all (+) battery cables, they were corroded
Cleaned Intake using MCCC

Last night I hooked a up fuel pressure test gauge. This is what I saw.
I turned the key on/engine off: 55 PSI instant then steadily dropped and passed 48 PSI in under 1 min.
Then I started engine and pressure held steady at 60 PSI.
Next I blipped the throttle and PSI jumped slightly each time however:

Each time I let go of the throttle there was something strange: As RPMs fell back to idle there was a click.
It sounded like an electrical switch/relay turning off then on. When this happened the lights flickered and fuel pressure fell off sharply to about 30 PSI. It lasted for only a split second then back to normal 60 PSI.

Anyone have any insight as to what I may be looking at?

I'm planning on working on the car Friday to include, changing the fuel filter and flushing the power steering fluid. I'd like to try to get this resolved as temperatures are getting cooler and the track is calling.

Thank you,
Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the idle issue started just after the TC install might need a little tuning. Mine did the same thing sometimes coming to a stop at lights and slow speeds in parking lots after my install. When my idle started hunting (sometimes stalling) coming to a stop putting it in neutral kept it from happening. Increasing line pressure and in gear idle cured mine - also had torque management deleted. Just my experience.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply. I'll start looking into tuners. I've been thinking about getting a lid and doing an aftermarket exhaust. If I need a tune, that will speed up the decission.

Do you think this could be causing the electrical flicker as well?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when your car almost shuts off all of your gages fall...oil pressure, batt volts, ect. When this happens the lights are coming on because your car is almost shutting off. if youve ever stalled the car, when it shuts off all the lights come on, so thats normal.
Im having a horrible idle problem rite now, surging at lights, and sputtering/missing while im driving. I changed my 02s and that seemed to help the idle i lil bit, but its still pretty close to what your describing. So idk what im gonna do either, hopefully fuel filter will cure issues.

ALSO: check your ground connections under the hood, that could be a reason your lights are coming on.
GL!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

when your car almost shuts off all of your gages fall...oil pressure, batt volts, ect. When this happens the lights are coming on because your car is almost shutting off. if youve ever stalled the car, when it shuts off all the lights come on, so thats normal.
Im having a horrible idle problem rite now, surging at lights, and sputtering/missing while im driving. I changed my 02s and that seemed to help the idle i lil bit, but its still pretty close to what your describing. So idk what im gonna do either, hopefully fuel filter will cure issues.

ALSO: check your ground connections under the hood, that could be a reason your lights are coming on.
GL!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 91RS383

Last night I hooked a up fuel pressure test gauge. This is what I saw.
I turned the key on/engine off: 55 PSI instant then steadily dropped and passed 48 PSI in under 1 min.
You could have a leak at the fuel pump (leaking back into the fuel tank) or at one of your fuel injectors.

Lights flickering sounds like a short or a loose ground wire.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks!

I swapped the fuel filter as part of my annual maintenance this weekend and that did not help the idle issue. I'm starting to agree with the tune solution. I would like to install the exhaust and lid before I pay for a tune.

I was thinking a leak at the pump or an injector as well, but after I started the engine for 30 sec and shut it off the pressure held for well over an hour. I thought this rulled out the leak. Am I wrong?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Teching In

One of my friends has this same problem check the vacum line on the passenger side behind the tb they are pretty bad about coming apart and it will cause the whinning blower like sound and cause it to surge at idle