General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help big time. related to a P0106 and P0101

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need help big time. related to a P0106 and P0101

Hey guys,

Recently i have been having trouble with my car. I have done a ton to it since i found the problems and it has helped however, it is still just not running right. Here is what it is currently doing:

1)Backfires every time i shift from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4
2)Throws a PENDING p0106 whenever it feels like it. intermittent
3)also throws a p0101 whenever it feels like it
4)feels down on power pretty bad
5)may have a slight vibration. no misfire codes
6)today after driving it i pulled everything off down to the TB and opened it. the tb had a small amount of smoke steadily coming out

now,i just cannot figure this out, i have put on new plugs, new MAP, new MAF, checked for all the vaccuum leaks i know of.i even installed a new K&N and fuel filter.

the other day i had the exhaust clamp at the header pop off over a bump and exhaust is coming out there, could this be throwing off my O2 reading and not throwing codes?

whatever it is it is making my hawk worthless, if anyone has any ideas please help!

thank you

Eric
Old 09-05-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLATT
Hey guys,

Recently i have been having trouble with my car. I have done a ton to it since i found the problems and it has helped however, it is still just not running right. Here is what it is currently doing:

1)Backfires every time i shift from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4
2)Throws a PENDING p0106 whenever it feels like it. intermittent
3)also throws a p0101 whenever it feels like it
4)feels down on power pretty bad
5)may have a slight vibration. no misfire codes
6)today after driving it i pulled everything off down to the TB and opened it. the tb had a small amount of smoke steadily coming out

now,i just cannot figure this out, i have put on new plugs, new MAP, new MAF, checked for all the vaccuum leaks i know of.i even installed a new K&N and fuel filter.

the other day i had the exhaust clamp at the header pop off over a bump and exhaust is coming out there, could this be throwing off my O2 reading and not throwing codes?

whatever it is it is making my hawk worthless, if anyone has any ideas please help!

thank you

Eric
would you share on what codes 106 and 101 are? hell I cant remember that, nor is anyone else... If you are asking if an exhaust leak near the 02 set a ses light, the answer is yes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

P0101
Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0106
Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

Splatt,

YOu have to fix that exhaust leak, especially being so close to an 02 sensor. It will wig that sensor out. If the 02 sensor is not switching properly it will give you all of your symptoms, especially the feeling that the engine is stumbling and down on power. And you won't necassarily get any 02 sensor codes.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-06-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome thats what i was looking for, ill fix it up today if i can find a VBand clamp or something. this was happening before the clamp broke off but i believe it was loose at the time. Thanks LS6 ill check that out. any more ideas?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i tightened up the exhaust and it still ran like crap, backfiring alot still. While i was down there i noticed a banging type sound that is EXACTLY the same as the first time my cat went bad when i was stock. It also feels like there is a stop up in the exhaust if i am driving, so i am 99 percent sure my cat has gone to ****, I am going to order a ORY pretty soon and get the cats out completely. Could a clogged up cat be causing my problems?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

well i tightened up the exhaust and it still ran like crap, backfiring alot still. While i was down there i noticed a banging type sound that is EXACTLY the same as the first time my cat went bad when i was stock. It also feels like there is a stop up in the exhaust if i am driving, so i am 99 percent sure my cat has gone to ****, I am going to order a ORY pretty soon and get the cats out completely. Could a clogged up cat be causing my problems?
Yup. I think that gives a code/ses light when they're that bad though. But some PCM's are just stubborn and don't.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea. but i have LTs and no rear O2s, only the relocated fronts, which i am sure you know. but would the PCM not have an after cat reading to reference to the before cat reading letting me know its bad?

I figure i may as well get an ORY anyway, but the car just feels like its trying to push the exhaust out and it just cant. Also sounds a little wierd and vibrates more. And i can see how it would throw a low MAF code
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

but would the PCM not have an after cat reading to reference to the before cat reading letting me know its bad?
I have the same, just the front 02's mounted in the collectors of the LT's.

I guess the rears would be good to have for a bad cat situation. I have no cats, they're gutted.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true, thanks for your help brother, ill keep you posted!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, Update...Bad news. I took off the catted Y and drove the car with open headers for about 5 minutes. Pretty much made me deaf haha, anyway the car drove just fine and felt more powerful than it had in a long time, also did not throw any codes.

I came back home and gutted the cats on my Y pipe. Absolutely nothing in there. and i reinstalled it. Once i got it on i started the car and it seemed fine. As soon as i hit the 2-3 shift...POP...mother ****** . same backfiring problem, but it also throws a P0101 codes too. not constant, comes as it wishes still. Am i missing something?

It feels like it is maybe misfiring but no codes at all. I just put the plugs in a whopping 30 miles ago but is plugs and wires next on the list?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm...
i am throwing 1 code...p0101. i need to figure out what the deal is too.

Quick Reply: Need help big time. related to a P0106 and P0101