General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stupid O2 sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid O2 sensors...

Soooo i'm trying to remove the old oxygen sensors from a used set of Pacesetter mid-length headers i just installed and i can't get the damn things out. Before i installed the headers i tried to removed them with 2 different special O2 sockets, which would just start to strip it. Then i tried the closed end of a wrench, no luck. Then i put them on a vice and clamped it on there nice and tight and spun the whole header with the sensor clamped and it would just strip it again. Then i tried installing the headers (that was a long night) and running the car to heat them up and then trying the special socket and wrench to break them loose, no luck. All this time i've been spraying them with PB Blaster and WD-40.

I just don't understand why people don't take 10 seconds to put a little anti-seize on the threads before they wrench in the O2's and save the next guy hours and hours of frustration. What are my options at this point?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They're like spark plugs....I have no idea why people put them in so tight. 02 sensors only need to be snugged up. Mine go nowhere and I can put a crescent wrench on them and tap them loose with one bump of the palm of my hand. Plus if you twist the wires the opposite way they screw in, that will keep them from coming loose if they do break free and want to start coming out.

But I was gonna say vice grips for you. Are you saying the sensor bolt area is stripped?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You need leverage and prayer. (Pray that you have threads left in your headers when its all over.)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

I think i've tried vice grips but i'll try it again. Maybe i can get my handy copper pipe around the end of the vice grips and get some more leverage on them. The sensor bolts aren't totally stripped but i did round the edges a little. The problem is i broke off the ends of the sensors so i could try to get a regular long socket on them and one of the sensors is destroyed enough so exhaust leaks out. I'm almost considering having new thread holes welded into a new spot on the header or y-pipe so i can just stick the new ones into a different hole.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bore.me
I think i've tried vice grips but i'll try it again. Maybe i can get my handy copper pipe around the end of the vice grips and get some more leverage on them. The sensor bolts aren't totally stripped but i did round the edges a little. The problem is i broke off the ends of the sensors so i could try to get a regular long socket on them and one of the sensors is destroyed enough so exhaust leaks out. I'm almost considering having new thread holes welded into a new spot on the header or y-pipe so i can just stick the new ones into a different hole.
Yeah, thats probably the easiest, two new holes. Then weld that leaky one shut and you're done.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yeah, thats probably the easiest, two new holes. Then weld that leaky one shut and you're done.

Problem is that would cost $, which is what i'm trying to avoid (see sig!). Luckily i'm taking a welding class right now but i won't be able to work on my own projects for 10 weeks.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Save the manuals!

If you can get the old ones out and you do damage to the threads, heli-coil makes a special repair kit. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Talking

you have to heat them up ,its the same as old manifold bolts
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use a torch to heat them up.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you can get the old ones out and you do damage to the threads, heli-coil makes a special repair kit. PM me if you are interested.
I'll look into that if i need to.
I'll take a torch to them and see what happens. I really hope i don't have to remove the headers again to get the O2's out!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
Just use a torch to heat them up.
Heat makes things expand........how does it loosen them up?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Heat makes things expand........how does it loosen them up?

The idea is to only heat the surrounding area so that it expands more that the sensor bolt and the bolt will be looser and turn easier. Kinda hard to do
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bore.me
The idea is to only heat the surrounding area so that it expands more that the sensor bolt and the bolt will be looser and turn easier. Kinda hard to do
This is correct. The trick is that you must heat the area around the sensor quickly before the heat migrates to into the sensor. Then quickly crack them loose with a sharp blow.

Easing it out will strip the bolt head.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

ok so i tried a heating them with a torch. They still won't budge. Any other ideas?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A muffler shop or a machine shop can get them out.

Worst case scenario, you can get a new bung welded in:

Standard part # SGF1.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

I feel your pain bro. I spent 4 hrs trying to get 1 O2 sensor out last night. I tried everything, 7/8" box wrench, O2 sensor socket, breaker bar, then I got so irritated and broke off the O2 sensor casing, cut the wires off and put a 7/8" socket and 1/2" ratchet on it and still nothing....grrrrrr. The entire time I had wind blowing dirt in my eyes and it was freezing cold out. I did have to start the car time and time again to keep the exhaust hot. Hours later with no energy left (and a couple of exhaust burns)....lol I got it out. The problem is that when I got the sensor out, the bung was totally stripped. I went to Auto Zone to check out the heli-coils, dude, the are $30 each. That's ridiculous for a damn tap and little coil. I called the hardware stores and nobody carries a tap big enough. The most reasonable muffler shop in town wants $45 to do the job.... that's the same amount I paid for the O2 sensor.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobRomero
I feel your pain bro. I spent 4 hrs trying to get 1 O2 sensor out last night. I tried everything, 7/8" box wrench, O2 sensor socket, breaker bar, then I got so irritated and broke off the O2 sensor casing, cut the wires off and put a 7/8" socket and 1/2" ratchet on it and still nothing....grrrrrr. The entire time I had wind blowing dirt in my eyes and it was freezing cold out. I did have to start the car time and time again to keep the exhaust hot. Hours later with no energy left (and a couple of exhaust burns)....lol I got it out. The problem is that when I got the sensor out, the bung was totally stripped. I went to Auto Zone to check out the heli-coils, dude, the are $30 each. That's ridiculous for a damn tap and little coil. I called the hardware stores and nobody carries a tap big enough. The most reasonable muffler shop in town wants $45 to do the job.... that's the same amount I paid for the O2 sensor.
I had an exhaust shop put a hole in my exhaust after my merge so a scan tool can be attached. Its threaded the same size as an 02 sensor. They charged me $10.00, it took him maybe 3 minutes.

The easiest fix is new threaded holes. Just gotta find a shop that doesn't rip people off I guess.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RobRomero
$45 is a bargain. Putting a heli-coil in is a total pain in the #$& due to clearance under the car for tools. I doubt what you are looking at Autozone would work. Heli-coil makes a special kit for O2 sensors. (needs special tools) When I bought mine, they were in the neighborhood of $100. http://www.google.com/products?q=hel...ed=0CCMQrQQwAg

I couldn't find a single exhaust shop in Chicago that would do the work and all wanted to replace my pipes - so I did it myself. Took forever.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you heat the headers up until they turned cherry red before you tried to break the o2 loose? I've had some PITA o2's but I used MAP gas and get the exhaust cherry red (takes a few minutes of constant heat) and they usually break right loose. I would somehow try to get the header in the vice, then heat the surrounding area up until it turns red then put your o2 socket on and hit it loose with a hammer.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

I had an exhaust shop put a hole in my exhaust after my merge so a scan tool can be attached. Its threaded the same size as an 02 sensor. They charged me $10.00, it took him maybe 3 minutes.

The easiest fix is new threaded holes. Just gotta find a shop that doesn't rip people off I guess.

I'm confused......did the just put a hole and thread it, or did they actually weld a bung on the exhaust???

Quick Reply: stupid O2 sensors...