General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clean vs. Milky/Contaminated Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clean vs. Milky/Contaminated Dexcool

Does anybody have pictures or have links to pictures of what clean dexcool coolant should look like when inside the radiator, versus milky (oil/contaminated) dexcool?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, it should look just like it looks when its in the jug before you put it in. Over a long time, like years it gets a bit darker.

If you have oil in your coolant you will have little black beads of oil floating around in it like little tiny tar patches.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yeah, it should look just like it looks when its in the jug before you put it in. Over a long time, like years it gets a bit darker.

If you have oil in your coolant you will have little black beads of oil floating around in it like little tiny tar patches.

I don't have dark patches, but the inside looks pretty clean besides a few lighter colored bead-looking things that are dried onto the cap and somewhat inside the radiator (not bad at all.)

But the fluid is kind of orange looking and "foggy." I'm not sure if it is what you would call "milky"

The coolant was flushed completely a year and a half ago.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I just had my coolant flushed yesterday, the dexcool is supposed to be an orange color. If it's like some brown nasty color with chunks in it then it's bad. Mine was shot it was really gross. So I'm thinking if it's still orange and there is nothing in it your coolant should be fine.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
I just had my coolant flushed yesterday, the dexcool is supposed to be an orange color. If it's like some brown nasty color with chunks in it then it's bad. Mine was shot it was really gross. So I'm thinking if it's still orange and there is nothing in it your coolant should be fine.
Yeah I'm just worried because I have a slow leak in the coolant. Like really slow, though. As in it gets low enough to trip the "low coolant sensor" after 9 months after being filled, which isn't that much.

But I want to make sure I don't have an issue.

No white smoke out the exhaust, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant, I don't see any leaks on pavement or inside the engine bay. Meh.

Screw it, I guess it's fine. But it's annoying. I guess if the sucker blows up it blows up, lol.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Yeah I'm just worried because I have a slow leak in the coolant. Like really slow, though. As in it gets low enough to trip the "low coolant sensor" after 9 months after being filled, which isn't that much.

But I want to make sure I don't have an issue.

No white smoke out the exhaust, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant, I don't see any leaks on pavement or inside the engine bay. Meh.

Screw it, I guess it's fine. But it's annoying. I guess if the sucker blows up it blows up, lol.
Well, if you're losing coolant you have an issue somewhere. Maybe you should try a new radiator cap. They usually take awhile to cause a real overheating problem....as they slowly lose tension spitting coolant out little by little. Maybe yours is just starting the beginning stages of failing.

And I think the way you explain how your coolant looks is fine.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the dex cool isnt preferred anymore for the ls1. change it out with green coolant is what i'm hearing.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripps
I think the dex cool isnt preferred anymore for the ls1. change it out with green coolant is what i'm hearing.
I've heard debates about this since the day I bought my car. Same thing as "what is the best oil."

There's never a conclusion.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

I've heard debates about this since the day I bought my car. Same thing as "what is the best oil."

There's never a conclusion.
Nothing wrong with Dexcool, I've been using it for 11+ years. Its always clean. But you must have a sealed tight coolant system

Get a new radiator cap....see if that stops your coolant loss.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing wrong with Dexcool, I've been using it for 11+ years. Its always clean. But you must have a sealed tight coolant system

Get a new radiator cap....see if that stops your coolant loss.

Will do. Wouldn't I see steam or see any form of coolant coming out of the cap if it was bad?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

Will do. Wouldn't I see steam or see any form of coolant coming out of the cap if it was bad?
Not one bit. It would very slowly and quietly go into your overflow reservoir under your battery via the over flow line thats attached to the back of the radiator filler neck, right under the cap.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not one bit. It would very slowly and quietly go into your overflow reservoir under your battery via the over flow line thats attached to the back of the radiator filler neck, right under the cap.

Thats another thing... I checked that overflow reservoir and it was almost bone dry, as well as the radiator being just low enough for the coolant sensor to trigger the interior dummy light.

So does that mean the coolant never did go into the overflow reservoir?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Thats another thing... I checked that overflow reservoir and it was almost bone dry, as well as the radiator being just low enough for the coolant sensor to trigger the interior dummy light.

So does that mean the coolant never did go into the overflow reservoir?
Hmmm. Well, while you're driving if the radiator cap is losing its tension and the coolant is getting pushed out there will be some that escapes as steam and won't go into the over flow.

Only other way to lose coolant is a cracked block or head...or a blown head gasket. If its a very small hole in the head gasket you wouldn't just over heat immediately, it will be a progressing problem that will get worse and worse.

Getting a new radiator cap is the cheapest, quickest thing to rule out. The other tests aren't so friendly.

OR....a slow, small leak in a hose that you just haven't seen yet.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. Well, while you're driving if the radiator cap is losing its tension and the coolant is getting pushed out there will be some that escapes as steam and won't go into the over flow.

Only other way to lose coolant is a cracked block or head...or a blown head gasket. If its a very small hole in the head gasket you wouldn't just over heat immediately, it will be a progressing problem that will get worse and worse.

Getting a new radiator cap is the cheapest, quickest thing to rule out. The other tests aren't so friendly.

OR....a slow, small leak in a hose that you just haven't seen yet.

I figured this/these would be the cases or possible next steps to check.

Well I plan to drive it around as normal as it has never over heated (even taking 5 hr trips in 105 degree weather) and check the rad level every day or so. If it keeps getting lower and lower I'll get a new cap.

And if that fails, I guess it's time for more serious tests.

Thats about all I can do at the moment, I think?

Quick Reply: Clean vs. Milky/Contaminated Dexcool