General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

multiple problems, pretty lengthy

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple problems, pretty lengthy

Hi everyone. I bought a 2000 T/A WS6 about a month ago, and I'm having some problems with it.

1. SES light came on, had it scanned at Autozone, and now I need to change the o2 sensors, the knock sensor, and the MAF sensor and a few other things, but I can't recall what else. And so question number 1 is, where are they at and how many do I need to buy? Because if I'm going to replace them, might as well replace all of them. (I bought the chilton's repair manual, and all it did was reference the sensors under troubleshooting codes.)

2. High pitch whine when I'm pushing on the gas or when I'm just holding the gas pedal steady, but when I take my foot off, it goes away.

3. SES light starts blinking, and I've read on here that it's a misfire, so how do I fix that?

So, if I fix all of my sensors, would everything be fine? If you could, can the make the answers detailed, I know some but not much about repairing cars. And I pretty much emptied my pockets getting this car, so I don't want to take it into the shop if I don't have to. If it helps, my car is stock (for now) and it's a 6-speed. And on a side note for curiosity, would the motor out of the new Camero SS fit into it?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the O2s are before and after the catalytic converters assuming you have stock exhaust. they are the plug looking things with the wire attached that go into the exhaust pipes.

the whining sounds like you need a new belt.

the misfire could be a timing issue, but that's just a general assumption.

none of these would require a lot of cash:

150-200 to replace the O2s with stock parts.
a timing tune varies, i was quoted 375 at a local shop, but i think they were trying to burn me.
a belt is less than 20 bucks.

i think if you did a regular tune up most of these problem would go away.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Try cleaning the MAF first. MAF problems can throw O2 codes also. Unless the code is for the O2 heater, which is definitely an O2 sensor problem. If your MAF and/or O2 sensors are bad and making the engine run like crap and cause predetonation which would make your knock sensors work overtime. Fix them in this order: MAF, O2, knock sensors. Clear your codes after you try each thing.

2. A whining sound could be a bearing in some part e.g. alternator. It could be the belt tensioner of course.

3. Caused by #1
Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Oh, and by the way, since the SES light started blinking, I lost a lot of power, and I guess it kind of stutters, if that is the right word, in 1st gear taking off and at low rpm in other gears.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

It's a misfire and it will kill your power and can throw codes other than misfire codes. The knock sensor codes can be caused by it.

By the way, after cleaning your MAF, if it doesn't help, try unplugging it and seeing if the car runs any better. If so, it definitely needs to be replaced. If not... then it's hard to say. If it still runs like crap then O2 is probably bad.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 on all the above. You don't want to go off changing all of the involved sensors. The codes just tell you that a sensor sees a problem. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a bad sensor. (Although some codes do.)

For example, a bad MAF can cause bad combustion, which throws some O2 codes.

Since you have so many things going on, I'd suggest doing the following:
- See if unplugging or cleaning the MAF helps.
- Get your codes cleared then drive the car a little bit and then re-check the codes. If you have a cascading problem, this will help you isolate the issue before your PCM memory starts storing up historic codes. When you re-post, please include the actual code numbers - that will help a ton.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

This is kinda OT, but how would you guys go about cleaning the MAF? I need to to clean mine as well. Should I use a MAF cleaner spray and spray it and let it dry or clean it via q-qtip or something else I haven't mentioned? Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

spray only
Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
This is kinda OT, but how would you guys go about cleaning the MAF? I need to to clean mine as well. Should I use a MAF cleaner spray and spray it and let it dry or clean it via q-qtip or something else I haven't mentioned? Thanks guys!
Just purchase a can of MAF cleaner and spray it down with the engine OFF.

The stuff evaporates like brake clean, so it'll dry off in a few seconds. Don't mess with the wires (via a Q-Tip) within the MAF itself, if one breaks, then you'll need to replace the entire unit.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Launching!

how do you change, the middle two spark plugs on the passenger side? my hand is too big to reach them from the top.

and i figured out what caused my SES light to blink. a mouse ate through my injector wire. a lady friend of mine spliced the wire though.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...g_and_wire.htm

Bookmark www.installuniversity.com and www.ls1howto.com
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Launching!

when i do a compression test and a fuel pressure test, what numbers do i want to see?

i changed the plugs and wires, i found oil on the threads, and i'm wondering if something else might be wrong. i can't remember which cylinders on the drivers side the plugs came from that had oil on them. might have been the last two.

AND, lol sorry, there always seems to be something else, i took it up to around 100 on a regular highway, and there was a noise coming from the rear i think, not to sure about that though, but it sounded like a plane passing over. i don't know if it was the road, my tires, or what. not going to be going that fast anytime soon.