General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 sluggish at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LS1 sluggish at low RPMs

Guys,

My 99 SS LS1 runs very sluggish in 6th gear when trying to accelerate from 70 mph. When I try to pick up speed, it feels like it is missing....

NO Codes.....

Any thoughts?????
Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd start with the regular maintenance and tune-up to ensure the engine is getting the proper fueling, air, spark, etc. If that doesn't help, I'd consider down-shifting and putting the engine higher into its powerband

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

70mph is only about 1700rpm

and with the really low .50 ratio of 6th you're not giving much mechanical advantage. downshift...or just accelerate slower.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blkss99
Guys,

My 99 SS LS1 runs very sluggish in 6th gear when trying to accelerate from 70 mph. When I try to pick up speed, it feels like it is missing....

NO Codes.....

Any thoughts?????
I don't think 6th gear is meant for acceleration.

If the air filter is dirty replace it,and spray the MAFS sensor with some MAFS cleaner.
And check/change your spark plugs. Also Pull the intake and clean it out with some carburetor cleaner, and on the heads do the same with the intake runners. After you get it all back together install a catch-can. it should run smoother in 6th.

Or you can just down-shift into 5th, or 4th .
Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

or 3rd

i love having 4 gears to chose from when passing...hell 5 if you're doing ~50

uncorking the TDs at 4000rpm to pass someone is GREAT!!!
untill you get pulled over 20miles later
Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with above about downshifting. Checking all regular maintenance items is great too, maybe time for some fresh O2 sensors??
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

That is very common when using a .50 overdrive and attempting to accelerate. A LS1 is barely making ~100 Hp at that Rpm and gear.

If you have tuning software and log it, you will see that your MAP (or load) is actually quite high at that Rpm when you attempt to accelerate. In essence you are lugging the engine.

Having two overdrives in a car with as much power as a LS1 is a real luxury. In the 'old days' people who have loved to have had that. It lets you add aggressive gearing (3.73-4.10) and still cruise at relatively low Rpms at highway speeds.

You simply can not use a 2nd overdrive to accelerate your engine. I have seen the MAP go to its limits when you try it. It probably is not good for the engine. Down-shifting is what you have to do.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and take care of that engine!

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Default I have a almost the same problem

My car also does something similar but when its cold.. when in turn it on its good for about 15 sec and then it start feel sluggish. Everything mechanically is great and. I got new spark plugs, spark plug wires, the ignition coils and wires are good, compression is good, fuel pressure is good, new fuel filter also there is no vaccum leaks and all ground cables are good... but It still not 100% good but I really don't know what it can be anymore
Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Stock cam? Stock heads? 6th isn't an acceleration gear. Downshift to 4th
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Mostly stock, only has headers and its auto. It's sluggish in any gear but not all the time .. all of a sudden i goes back to normal and acts like if nothing happend
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by blkss99
Guys,

NO Codes.....

Any thoughts?????
It shouldn't feel like it's missing though. I agree with the above comments that the gear is too high for that speed and you should downshift but it should have trouble accelerating in that gear at that speed but it should be smoothly.

One of my most consistent tests I do to identify ignition components being faulty is drive a car at high load at low rpm. If I have worn plugs or a weak coil it'll show when I do this.

So also as stated try a set of plugs, maybe wires if you haven't changed them in a while. If it still does it you could have a weak coil.

You really need to watch it on a misfire monitor though, it's always hard guessing over the internet if what you say feels like a misfire is for sure a misfire.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro lifestyle
Mostly stock, only has headers and its auto. It's sluggish in any gear but not all the time .. all of a sudden i goes back to normal and acts like if nothing happend
I was gonna say check the cats for being clogged but if it comes and goes it may be fuel supply causing it. Try the fuel filter first, if that doesn't help check the fuel pressure and flow, I test flow by opening the bypass valve on my tester with the car running. It should supply enough fuel to put a good stream out of the tester and the car continue running.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is likely something simple. Make sure all the wires are firmly seated. Clean the MAF and then check the 02 sensors.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro lifestyle
Hook up a scanner and watch the timing, it may be pulling timing at times causing your problem. I had something very similar, was pulling 8 degrees at times. The intake was CAKED thick with carbon.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Hook up a scanner and watch the timing, it may be pulling timing at times causing your problem. I had something very similar, was pulling 8 degrees at times. The intake was CAKED thick with carbon.
I also think its the timing because it's not constant it just does it like 3 minutes after I turn on my car and also when its already warmed up. Do you think that can cause a raw gas smell at the exhast??
Old 04-01-2018, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Raw gas smell ....no. You need some real diagnostics done by a good shop.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
That is very common when using a .50 overdrive and attempting to accelerate. A LS1 is barely making ~100 Hp at that Rpm and gear.

If you have tuning software and log it, you will see that your MAP (or load) is actually quite high at that Rpm when you attempt to accelerate. In essence you are lugging the engine.

Having two overdrives in a car with as much power as a LS1 is a real luxury. In the 'old days' people who have loved to have had that. It lets you add aggressive gearing (3.73-4.10) and still cruise at relatively low Rpms at highway speeds.

You simply can not use a 2nd overdrive to accelerate your engine. I have seen the MAP go to its limits when you try it. It probably is not good for the engine. Down-shifting is what you have to do.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and take care of that engine!

..WeathermanShawn..
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
It shouldn't feel like it's missing though. I agree with the above comments that the gear is too high for that speed and you should downshift but it should have trouble accelerating in that gear at that speed but it should be smoothly.

One of my most consistent tests I do to identify ignition components being faulty is drive a car at high load at low rpm. If I have worn plugs or a weak coil it'll show when I do this.

So also as stated try a set of plugs, maybe wires if you haven't changed them in a while. If it still does it you could have a weak coil.

You really need to watch it on a misfire monitor though, it's always hard guessing over the internet if what you say feels like a misfire is for sure a misfire.
Originally Posted by Starion
I think this is likely something simple. Make sure all the wires are firmly seated. Clean the MAF and then check the 02 sensors.
Reread these. Something is amiss with this engine, BUT that still doesnt make 6th a pulling gear, its just loading the engine so hard at low rpm that the issue is showing more for you to notice it.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

🤣🤣🤣 this guy serious

Quick Reply: LS1 sluggish at low RPMs