General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting problem

Car has been doing it for a while and I was hoping that after the cam swap etc it would go away, but it didnt. Every now and then (once or twice every two days) when I go to start the car it'll hit like its going to start then will backfire and shut off. Next starts a charm and it goes about like normal just this backfire is bugging the crap out of me. Im going to try checking the fuel pressure tomorrow and go from there, anyone else have any ideas? BTW its a 02 ls camaro with 83k miles
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Sombody, anybody? Tried seaching didn't really find anything.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1979rs/z28
Car has been doing it for a while and I was hoping that after the cam swap etc it would go away, but it didnt. Every now and then (once or twice every two days) when I go to start the car it'll hit like its going to start then will backfire and shut off. Next starts a charm and it goes about like normal just this backfire is bugging the crap out of me. Im going to try checking the fuel pressure tomorrow and go from there, anyone else have any ideas? BTW its a 02 ls camaro with 83k miles

Bad cam or crank sensor maybe? Scan it and see if it has any pending codes. Did you use loctite when securing the cam gear to the cam?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^
That would be my first guess too. Crank Shaft Position sensor, when its just starting to act up but still works, it will mess with you like that. And you won't get an SES light till it totally fails and you're stuck. Pretty simple to change it out. If it fixes it great, if not you can return it for a refund.
Make sure your MAF is clean too. Thats what controls the engine/air metering at cold start-up. If its dirty it'll wig out on you.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

No pending codes or anything. The maf has been cleaned (using stock paper filter) and I did use red loctite on the cam bolts and torqued to spec.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

No pending codes or anything. The maf has been cleaned (using stock paper filter) and I did use red loctite on the cam bolts and torqued to spec.
Well, if I were you I'd go to any parts store, get a new Crank Shaft Position sensor, put the front tires up on ramps, drop the starter and put the new sensor in and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, return it.
Maybe do the same with the Cam sensor.
I think I read on here someone had a timing chain issue that was causing wierd starts with backfiring...can't remember.

Also, on start-up, if you get a backfire it could mean you have a leaky fuel injector. As the fuel pump primes it'll squirt fuel into a cylinder prematurely right before you turn the key. BUT...if it starts normally throughout the day after its warmed up then its probably not a leaky injector. If it happens at every first attempt start, maybe it is.

Backfires are fuel.......usually when there's too much in a cylinder.

Just a thought.

Only way to check it is to remove the rails with the injectors attached. Then turn the key to the "on" position and let the fuel pump prime. Look for any of them dripping fuel.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the ideas, i work at a auto parts store so Ill try the crank sensor first and see how that goes. The problem is very sparatic, sometimes it'll do it twice in a day or it'll go a week or two and do perfect. Ill look into the cam sensor too, but if i replace that its staying since it requires pulling the intake. It also had this problem since ive owned the car and even before the cam, i did put a ls2 chain on it.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Thanks for the ideas, i work at a auto parts store so Ill try the crank sensor first and see how that goes. The problem is very sparatic, sometimes it'll do it twice in a day or it'll go a week or two and do perfect. Ill look into the cam sensor too, but if i replace that its staying since it requires pulling the intake. It also had this problem since ive owned the car and even before the cam, i did put a ls2 chain on it.
Also, you could put a fuel pressure tester on the rail and see if the pressure falls off to fast after the fuel pump primes. That will point to a possible leaky fuel injector too.