General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

very weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default very weird idle

have my z28 stored for the winter never really started it but have been doing it lately. every time i go to start it up it starts really slow and sounds like its gonna die. i let it warm up to optimum temp and when i go to give it a quick rev it bogs back down as if its gonna die then after a min or so it goes back to normal idle. here is a video of what it is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPNYLKG4tc
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have any ideas????
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure. Sounds like it could be a failing fuel pump.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Teching In

same thing happened to me. do you disconnect the battery? i disconnected my battery for a while and then it started to do the same thing. I had some nice weather a couple of weeks ago and took it for a drive and shut it off and when i started it, it was acting normal again. i think that maybe the car had to go through a drive cycle and the computer to relearn idle. Hope this helps
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mormjatt
same thing happened to me. do you disconnect the battery? i disconnected my battery for a while and then it started to do the same thing. I had some nice weather a couple of weeks ago and took it for a drive and shut it off and when i started it, it was acting normal again. i think that maybe the car had to go through a drive cycle and the computer to relearn idle. Hope this helps
You are correct. This happens every time you disconnect your battery, the pcm has to relearn the idle like you said for a few minutes and it idles really low, like 400rpm then goes back to normal. But if he did not disconnect the battery then it maybe something different, like old fuel or something.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i do disconnect it and leave it out until i start it. but ive let it warm all the up to operating temp and when i go to give it a quick rev it bogs down every time and its done it three times already.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
yea i do disconnect it and leave it out until i start it. but ive let it warm all the up to operating temp and when i go to give it a quick rev it bogs down every time and its done it three times already.
yeah mine kept on doing it too until i actually took the car out and drove it.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah mine kept on doing it too until i actually took the car out and drove it.
was it driving weird to? or was it fine once you were going?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
was it driving weird to? or was it fine once you were going?
it was driving weird too. every time i would clutch in as i was coming to a stop it would want to die. I drove it about 10 miles down the highway to the local mall. shut the car off, got out of the car got back in and when i started it up again it was driving normal again.