General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt chirp/squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Belt chirp/squeal

I have a pretty straight forward question guys...

98 Camaro SS, there is a chirping under the hood on start-up but becomes a constant squeal once it warms up. If you spray belt dressing on main belt, the noise goes away. The car does have an upgraded alternator. Any ideas what the problem could be? I will try repacking the idlers and replacing the belt but do you think the alternator pulley could be out of alignment? If so, how would you go about fixing that? I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start spending money on it.

I did a search and got too many hits, ranging from bad idlers all the way up to replacement water pumps.

Thanks in advance,

-Gary
Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

The waterpump will squeal when it is about to die. Mine sounded like a mad wasp before I replaced it. Is yours relatively new? Any seapage? My stocker lasted over 80K.

That's all I can think of if you still have the sound after greasing all the applicable pulley bearings. A belt shouldn't squeal that bad unless its an absolute mess, which I am sure you could tell if it was.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Since the spray of belt dressing on the belt makes the squeal completely stop leads me to believe it is a belt issue or pulley alignment. I will check out the waterpump though.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Figure it out?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kdoublep
Figure it out?
I haven't looked at it yet... I was hoping to get some insight
Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotGrunt
I haven't looked at it yet... I was hoping to get some insight
pulling and repacking the pulleys is a real easy place to start lol 20 mins total, thats all my squeal was. but it doesnt sound like thats your problem im just chiming in to say how easy it is

it seems like theres something different squealing on my car everyday, i dont know if itll ever end. just gotta pick em off as they come
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

I would start by checking the condition of your belt itself. If it has alot of cracks in the ribs, or looks really glazed over, it's time for a new one. If that's not it, then I'd check your tensioner and idler pullies. It could also be your a/c belt making the noise. Mine never quit until I removed the belt. It's whisper quiet under the hood now. The water pump would have more of a grinding noise from what I would figure going on in there.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
I would start by checking the condition of your belt itself. If it has alot of cracks in the ribs, or looks really glazed over, it's time for a new one. If that's not it, then I'd check your tensioner and idler pullies. It could also be your a/c belt making the noise. Mine never quit until I removed the belt. It's whisper quiet under the hood now. The water pump would have more of a grinding noise from what I would figure going on in there.
Thanks...

I plan on tearing it apart tomorrow. I "ruled out" the ac belt, since the noise stops for a few seconds when you spray the main belt. I will probably replace both belts/re-grease the idlers and see what happens.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

That should take care of it.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I did some inspection and it seems there's coolant dripping onto the crank pulley. I guess the water pump has a slight leak and that is causing the belt to squeal.

Any recommendations on a replacement?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

ouch. Well now's a good time to get a meziere electric one! I've heard alot of stock replacement ones fail quickly.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Teching In

UPDATE:

I replaced the water pump yesterday and it took care of my coolant drip. Unfortunately, the belt is still making noise. It looks like it's in decent shape but it might be glazed.

What's the likelyhood that it's the tensioner? Can I go with a tighter belt? The idlers seemed to spin fine when I checked them.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

What's the likelyhood that it's the tensioner?
Very high.

Can I go with a tighter belt? The idlers seemed to spin fine when I checked them.
As the tensioner is what sets the belt tension, it'd be tough to do that. You'd probably end up doing through every belt known to man trying to find the right one, if it even exists.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Most likely the tensioner or the idler pulleys. But there are two sets.

Take off the main (large) belt and start the car and see if its still there. If it is, its the ac compressor components(tensioner idler). If not its your idler or tensioner most likely on the large side. very very easy to change
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Mine was the ac belt tensioner that was squealing. I just took the belt off. No point in having AC when I never use it. Why bother when there's t tops and big windows?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
Mine was the ac belt tensioner that was squealing. I just took the belt off. No point in having AC when I never use it. Why bother when there's t tops and big windows?
I ran it with the main belt off (to rule out the AC system) and it was quiet. I checked the pulleys/idlers and everything spun freely and smoothly so I replaced the belt... so far so good! I've always had good luck with Gatorback belts.

Quick Reply: Belt chirp/squeal