General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

EVAP system expert needed.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

The vent valve, purge valve and canister are all located outside of the fuel tank for the F-bodies.
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed to know.
cheers
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

The vent valve, purge valve and canister are all located outside of the fuel tank for the F-bodies.
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed to know.
cheers

Happen to know the specifics for a GTO?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

so which part did you replace? the plastic thingy by the valve cover.......or is there more moving parts to the EVAP
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
so which part did you replace? the plastic thingy by the valve cover.......or is there more moving parts to the EVAP
Yes, I replaced the purge valve that is located near the driver's side valve cover and connects to the intake via a hard gray plastic line. GM part #1997278.

There is also a vent valve in the EVAP system, located near the fuel tank, but this valve does not control vapor flow to the intake (that's the purge valve's job), so I wouldn't suspect it as the culprit if you're having a similar problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to bump this up again!!!!
Can someone let me know when the Vent solenoid gets activated?
I'd assume it's only if there's excessive tank pressure and it won't vet enough through the purge valve.

My issue is that I'm getting positive pressure in my gas tank when I have half a tank or less. I figure that it's because the remaining air gets warm thus expanding and creating enough pressure to give me a hard time. To the point where I can't put gas in the car because the check valve gets locked up, until I wait a long time with the gas cap off or stick something down into the tank (through the filler) to force open the check valve and relieve the pressure.

Any info would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Time to bump this up again!!!!
Can someone let me know when the Vent solenoid gets activated?
I'd assume it's only if there's excessive tank pressure and it won't vet enough through the purge valve.

My issue is that I'm getting positive pressure in my gas tank when I have half a tank or less. I figure that it's because the remaining air gets warm thus expanding and creating enough pressure to give me a hard time. To the point where I can't put gas in the car because the check valve gets locked up, until I wait a long time with the gas cap off or stick something down into the tank (through the filler) to force open the check valve and relieve the pressure.

Any info would be great. Thanks!
The vent solenoid is normally open, and the PCM closes it when it runs EVAP system leakage test;

sounds like your vent is clogged.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
The vent solenoid is normally open, and the PCM closes it when it runs EVAP system leakage test;

sounds like your vent is clogged.
Are to referring to the solenoid that controls the vent to atmosphere or purge vent into the throttle body? I pulled the line going into the purge valve and air flows in and out of that line perfectly fine. I'm waiting for the gas level to drop a bit to check that line out again.

I wouldn't understand the vent to atmosphere being left open if the idea is to burn all the fumes via fuel delivery. What am I missing?

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have to look it up in my manual for the camaro to be sure, but no vent solenoids should be left open. the gas tank would never be vented to the atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose of what the system is supposed to accomplish.
I believe there are 2 solenoids, one vent that allows fresh air into the charcoal evap box and the other solenoid at the throttle body that allows intake vacuum to pull air through the evap box and purge it of fumes. you would need both solenoids to open and have air flow through to purge it, you can't just open the throttle body solenoid and not the vent solenoid near the evap box.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i would have to look it up in my manual for the camaro to be sure, but no vent solenoids should be left open. the gas tank would never be vented to the atmosphere, that defeats the whole purpose of what the system is supposed to accomplish.
I believe there are 2 solenoids, one vent that allows fresh air into the charcoal evap box and the other solenoid at the throttle body that allows intake vacuum to pull air through the evap box and purge it of fumes. you would need both solenoids to open and have air flow through to purge it, you can't just open the throttle body solenoid and not the vent solenoid near the evap box.
I agree.

Purge valve draws fuel vapor from the tank using intake manifold vacuum, and the fuel pump draws out fuel....both creating tank vacuum. Vent valve/solenoid should only be "venting" vacuum, not pressure.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are to referring to the solenoid that controls the vent to atmosphere or purge vent into the throttle body?
. . .
Vent to atmosphere.

. . .
I wouldn't understand the vent to atmosphere being left open if the idea is to burn all the fumes via fuel delivery. What am I missing?

. . .
The vent has to be open to allow correct functioning of the following:
- fuel pump (needs atmosphere to produce correct pressure),
- re-fueling (push out air from above fuel in tank as fuel level rises),
- air equalization (allow air to enter/exit tank as fuel level drops/rises).

The charcoal canister traps and prevents fuel vapor from escaping out thru the vent.

When the engine is running, the PCM opens the purge valve (at the intake manifold)... this allows air to be drawn in thru the vent valve, into the charcoal canister (pulling the trapped fuel vapors), thru the EVAP line, thru the purge valve and into the intake manifold.

The PCM closes the vent valve to test the EVAP system and fuel tank for leaks; at all other times the vent valve is open...

i.e. when the engine is not running, the vent valve is open (the charcoal canister traps fuel vapor from the tank).

Last edited by joecar; 07-26-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
The fuel tank is vented to atmosphere via the charcoal canister... the canister traps fuel vapor.

The vent solenoid is NO (normally open)... when the PCM is off/shutdown there is no voltage to the vent solenoid, so it is open.

The service manual specifically says that the PCM closes the vent solenoid for the purposed of testing for leaks.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the vent was blocked, then when you attempt to add fuel using the vapor trigger gas pump, there would be no place for the air above the fuel to go, it would trigger the pump to stop, and you would not be able to add fuel.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Joecar, what you're explaining is exactly what I've suspected. But more detailed and clears other things up for me. Thanks so much for that.

I seemed to have cleared things up but wanted to go through a full tank and fill up with a hot car to make sure all is well. It seems to be so far.

All I did was pull the EVAP line going into the purge solenoid (under the hood) and pull and clean the electrical connections going into the solenoid. BTW the diagram for that line is on a sticker under the hood. Can't believe I never noticed.
Also, I used a siphon pump to push air into the line and pull air out of the line. I did that to check if it was clear and to smell the fumes to check that there isn't a clog to the gas tank.

After that I haven't had a check engine light and I just refueled the tank without any back pressure. I don't know if I cleared the line or unstuck the purge valve.. but something changed. Because I haven't been able to go through a tank without a SES light or back pressure in months.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Joecar, what you're explaining is exactly what I've suspected. But more detailed and clears other things up for me. Thanks so much for that.

I seemed to have cleared things up but wanted to go through a full tank and fill up with a hot car to make sure all is well. It seems to be so far.

All I did was pull the EVAP line going into the purge solenoid (under the hood) and pull and clean the electrical connections going into the solenoid. BTW the diagram for that line is on a sticker under the hood. Can't believe I never noticed.
Also, I used a siphon pump to push air into the line and pull air out of the line. I did that to check if it was clear and to smell the fumes to check that there isn't a clog to the gas tank.

After that I haven't had a check engine light and I just refueled the tank without any back pressure. I don't know if I cleared the line or unstuck the purge valve.. but something changed. Because I haven't been able to go through a tank without a SES light or back pressure in months.
I am going to give this thread a bump. As I am having the same problem (cant get gas in). Some good info here.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

I also found this.

In general, here are the major issues that cause fill problems on ORVR (onboard refueling vapor recovery) equipped cars:
1) Bad ICV (inlet check valve): This is a plastic check valve located on the surface of tank where the fill hose connects. It has a spring that keeps it closed, but then opens when you start pumping gas into the tank. The ICV can get stuck shut due to plastic swelling/sticking issues. The ICV assembly is generally welded to the tank, so If goes bad, you have to replace your whole tank.
2) Bad FLVV (Fill limit vent valve): This valve is located on top of the tank or is integrated into the fuel delivery module. It will allow vapors to escape the tank at all times, until you fill up the tank to full, then a float shuts off the vent hole and that triggers the fill nozzle to shut off. Much like the ICV, the FLVV has plastic and rubber components that can degrade, swell...and stick shut. If it sticks shut, you won't be able to vent the tank vapors and thus won't be able to pump gas into the tank at a high rate.
3) Vent line attached to the top of the FLVV vent port leading off the tank is clogged or plugged; sometimes it's spider webs/insects or gunk from the tank.
4) The vent line then attaches to the CVS (Canister vent solenoid) and Canister. The charcoal in the canister can get all gunked up over time and not allow vapors to pass through it any longer. The CVS is a valve that is normally open and allows tank vapors to pass through it, however it is periodically triggered by the ECU to shut- which allows pressure checks on the Evap system. The CVS can malfunction and stick shut and not allow tank vapors to escape.

Quick Reply: EVAP system expert needed.....