General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cracked sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cracked sway bar

I noticed on my 98 TA some creaking over speed bumps and dips in the front. I looked at it and noticed the ends of the front sway bar have a seam around the hole where the link attached. It appears the seam has cracked around the top of the bar on both ends. Is this a common thing to occur? I'm assuming that's the cause of the creak.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Probably not the cause of the creak, which will be coming from bushings being either worn out, or if they are urethane, needing grease. In fact the creaking shouldn't be from the sway bar at all if you have the factory bushings. More likely is bad control arm bushings.

I don't know what you're seeing at the end link hole, but it's not a seam. Sway bars are forged, not cast. Forging doesn't leave seams. It may be some sort of tooling mark from the punch press used to put that hole there.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Probably not the cause of the creak, which will be coming from bushings being either worn out, or if they are urethane, needing grease. In fact the creaking shouldn't be from the sway bar at all if you have the factory bushings. More likely is bad control arm bushings.

I don't know what you're seeing at the end link hole, but it's not a seam. Sway bars are forged, not cast. Forging doesn't leave seams. It may be some sort of tooling mark from the punch press used to put that hole there.
Nah there's a hairline crack all around the circumference of the hole that wraps around to the top of the bar. So, if there is no seam, it's definitely a crack. I still have the stock links and bushing too.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Launching!

I didn't take a pic but found one online. Mine looks exactly like this, except the crack isn't as wide and it's not nearly as rusty. The bar is still black.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked sway bar-swaybar.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverV6Camaro
I didn't take a pic but found one online. Mine looks exactly like this, except the crack isn't as wide and it's not nearly as rusty. The bar is still black.
Wow! I've never seen one do that before. I've seen some just flat break in two, but not like that. I'd think it would cause more of a rattle than a squeak, but who knows?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Wow! I've never seen one do that before. I've seen some just flat break in two, but not like that. I'd think it would cause more of a rattle than a squeak, but who knows?
Yeah it's weird and it's like that on both sides. So I need a new sway bar and some bushings. Any recommendations?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Any recommendations?
That would depend on how you drive or plan to drive the car....gotta know that before a recommendation would do much good as far as a specific bar goes. Generally, I've had very good luck with Addco bars if you're looking for better performance.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Launching!

That would depend on how you drive or plan to drive the car....gotta know that before a recommendation would do much good as far as a specific bar goes. Generally, I've had very good luck with Addco bars if you're looking for better performance.
It would be nice to upgrade. The links need to be changed anyway. I would like some better performance for handling, and of course, something stronger that won't break! I'll check those out...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

It would be nice to upgrade. The links need to be changed anyway. I would like some better performance for handling, and of course, something stronger that won't break! I'll check those out...
An aftermarket bar will be a good bit stiffer for the same bar diameter than an OEM bar. So you can keep the stock size and still benefit.
Breakage like you have isn't caused by the bar being "weak", it's caused by improper heat treat.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd find a Z28 sway bar from the boneyard with new poly links if you wanna save some cash. An SS/WS6 will stiffen it up more, but may cost a bit more than a Z28 bar (mine on my V6 was free.....)

Your creaking over bumps could be anything from the sway bar links/cracks, T top rattle, control arm bushings, or just worn shitty stock shocks/mounts. I would take care of the sway bar first since its the most obvious thing.

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 04-27-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Launching!

same exact thing happened to the front bar on my TA. i picked up a ws6 bar and bought some poly bushings. so far its been a pretty good improvement.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still trying to find a WS6 bar but so far can only find the base V8 bar at a local junkyard for $45. I'll either go with that, or get lucky and find a WS6 bar. Either way I'll go with poly bushings and it should be good to go, maybe even creak free!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just rip that **** out. Your rear tires will hook up better without it anyway, and you won't think you're going to die every time you go over speed bumps.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Just rip that **** out. Your rear tires will hook up better without it anyway, and you won't think you're going to die every time you go over speed bumps.
Uh right...so with a swaybar in the rear and none in the front, the car will oversteer more than it already does, which will make me feel like I am going to die WAY more than a creak over a speed bump! Sheesh!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not just pulling this out of my ***, I've done this myself on my previous f-body... as well as many others. It wouldn't cause you to over-steer unless your alignment is fucked up. Guys with T-tops actually go without a front sway, because when you make enough power it can cause them to tweak and fly off. Also no front sway = more traction to the rear.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

And it makes it handle like a boat!! Im not kidding.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot these cars were made for drifting. Well have fun with that.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96blackta
I forgot these cars were made for drifting. Well have fun with that.
You know some people appreciate being able to do more than just go straight... 02
Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

10 yr old zombie thread mode.....activated
Old 06-11-2020, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs down

the stock sway bars on our vehicles are hollowed out pieces of junk. I replaced mine 18 years ago with a sold 25mm BMR unit, have had no problems since then.

Quick Reply: Cracked sway bar