General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rain water leaks onto top of engine :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rain water leaks onto top of engine :(

How do you prevent this? I was thinking of laying a layer of silicone under the cowl seal and maybe routing a thin tube to drain whatever is collected. Do I just need a new seal? Anyone else have this problem??

Last edited by BOA279; 10-02-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Launching!

I see you have aftermarket rails/injectors... feel lucky you havent filled a cylinder with water yet and broke something... happened to me a few times. starters are expensive.

i dont know of any final solution. i use a towel under the hood, and keep it parked under a cover
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use silicone and seal the cowl covering. Then test it with a hose until you seal it completely from dripping on the engine itself. Takes some time to get it all sealed. Be sure to seal all the plastic push pins too. And under the cowling where it meets the body. Then next time it rains peek under and see if its dry, If not find all the leaks. GM really dropped the ball on this cowling. Can you imagine how many engines were-are ruined from water seeping slowly past the intake or fuel injection orings then hydro locking the pistons. INSANE!

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 10-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Had this happen to two people locally and it killed has worked its way to killing my pcm from multiples shorts due to water. I need to silicone mine up. The best idea is to find some weatherstripping for the bottom of the hood itself, kind of a V groove kinda seal for the cowl/ hood
Old 10-02-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Nice to know its not just me. Guess I will have to build a solution
Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
I use silicone and seal the cowl covering. Then test it with a hose until you seal it completely from dripping on the engine itself. Takes some time to get it all sealed. Be sure to seal all the plastic push pins too. And under the cowling where it meets the body. Then next time it rains peek under and see if its dry, If not find all the leaks. GM really dropped the ball on this cowling. Can you imagine how many engines were-are ruined from water seeping slowly past the intake or fuel injection orings then hydro locking the pistons. INSANE!
I am one of them https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-happened.html

Can silicone be put around the injectors? bc if so my new motor will be getting some generous globs

Last edited by destroyer1362; 10-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best solution is to seal the cowling, part of the problem also is people install aftermarket intakes etc and don't get the intake or injectors seated or sealed back on properly. So any small air leak turns into a water leak when it sits in the rain. Another BIG problem from this rain water laying on the top of engine is RUSTED RUINED KNOCK SENSORS! The water just lays in there rusting them to crap and every time it rains they get more water.

All of you try this ...next time it rains good pop your hood and see if the top of the intake and engine are getting wet....bet ya ALL OF YOU will find them wet!

Mine is dry, I sealed the cowling and all the push pins.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happens to me. Rain sits on top of the injectors because due to the push pins and lack of weather stripping under the cowl. When I removed the cowl, GM used really shitty foam , the type that holds water like crazy, kinda like a scam wow. I ripped all of that off and went to the hardware store and purchased weather stripping for screen doors. Get the synthetic rubber stuff, not the foam type. I have a double layer, and only small holes cut out for the push pins. I rtv'ed the ends that I notched out to stop any water from entering. RTV'ed the push pin holes also. I also got vette fuel rail covers. All I have left is to make a cover for the pcm since water pours onto that. Pattern made, but haven't had time to make the final product. For the last year it has been a plastic grocery bag wrapped around the pcm to keep it dry. The entire cowl are is really a very poor design.

Quick Reply: rain water leaks onto top of engine :(