General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is the power antenna motor serviceable? (ie can you easily get into the internals?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default is the power antenna motor serviceable? (ie can you easily get into the internals?)

The reason i ask this is when i bought my car several years ago the mast wouldn't retract and i bought a new mast kit from GM and while it works now it only retracts to about 3/4 of the way down like in this pic. I'm pretty sure this is due to the old antenna masts white gear being down in there somewhere because the new masts gear was ~ 2 inches longer than the old one. Any way to easily get into the motor to get the old gear out? Sometimes it will go down further to about where the spoiler is, but other times it only goes down to the position shown.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop off your interior panel, you may have to remove the unit. IMO most people just get a new one. That is what I have seen.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motors are meant to be a sealed unit and not servicable. Best bet is to get a new power antenna. The ones at autozone look close to stock and cost about 50 bucks.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they are serviceable, and yes, you have an old piece of the gear strip still in there.

Remove the motor from the car. You have to break off the little plastic **** that hold the motor housing together. After you take out the broken piece, clean it up and lube with lithium grease. In order to put it back together, you will need itty bitty wood screws from a hardware store. I heated them up with a lighter before I installed them so they would "melt" into the plastic without putting too much strain on the remaining boss on the housing.

Suck the new mast in same way you did it last time.

If it doesn't work, your only out $0.99 cents.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Yes, they are serviceable, and yes, you have an old piece of the gear strip still in there.

Remove the motor from the car. You have to break off the little plastic **** that hold the motor housing together. After you take out the broken piece, clean it up and lube with lithium grease. In order to put it back together, you will need itty bitty wood screws from a hardware store. I heated them up with a lighter before I installed them so they would "melt" into the plastic without putting too much strain on the remaining boss on the housing.

Suck the new mast in same way you did it last time.

If it doesn't work, your only out $0.99 cents.
I don't need a new mast. My current one works fine other than not going all the way down. Is this a difficult thing to do though?

how do you remove the motor from the car? I don't know if i still have the little tool i used to remove the mast cover
Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Re-use the same mast since it's newish.

You don't need that tool to remove the cover, a wrench that's the right size will work. After you remove the spare tire, unplug the 2 connectors off the motor. There is also a water drain that you have to pull out of the fender. Now there is only 1 screw holding the antenna in at the bottom, you will see it plain as day.

It's not that hard once you get the case cracked open. After you get the broken piece out of the drum, just put all the parts back together the same way it came apart.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Well i got the power antenna mast back out tonight with the help of a pair of vice grips. i tried to use a towel around the bolt but it wouldn't loosen that way. i don't think i took too much paint off the bolt but there is a little chipping here and there. for all i know it was probably partially already like that anyway. The one thing that scared the crap out of me was when i turned on the radio and the mast went up and fell out and started flopping around on the fender. luckily it doesn't look like it scratched or dinged anything. I'm going to use this thread as a guide for getting the motor out and hopefully i can figure out how to break the top cover off and then get it reattatched once i remove the old antenna gear. I don't suppose i could just unbolt the motor and turn it upside down and turn the radio on and off to dislodge the old gear? that would be sweet if it worked. :hmm:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...r-antenna.html
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, turning it updside down will not work because the broken piece will have a curve in it, and it would have to go through a straight tube.

If your antenna fell out, I think you likely damaged the collar whe you took the vise grips to it. Once you get it apart, you may be able to bend the little tangs on the collar back out into shape.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

we dismantled the motor today and got the gear out. now the antenna goes all they way down most of the time. sometimes it still comes down a bit too short and has to be pressed down but not very often. I think the antenna mast needs lubed

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 07-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I used some 3 in 1 lubricating oil last ngiht on the mast by putting a few drops on a paper towel and wiped the mast up and down several times. the paper towel came back black so it was definately a bit dirty. then the antenna started going up and down fine. i just checked it again now after it's been sitting for 12 hrs or so and it's still working good.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your mast is new. Proper care of the mast is just to clean it with a dry cloth. I expect that lube will actually attract grit that will grind out the telescoping mechanism.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Your mast is new. Proper care of the mast is just to clean it with a dry cloth. I expect that lube will actually attract grit that will grind out the telescoping mechanism.
my mast isn't that new. It's ~ 6.5 years old.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine broke, so I replaced the motor. The next one broke, and I just left it. I just listen to my MP3 player anyways, Lol. I actually prefer not having the long antenna sticking out of my car.

Quick Reply: is the power antenna motor serviceable? (ie can you easily get into the internals?)