General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering pump

how'd you guys take it off? Is there a tool or something I need?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power steering pulley removal/installer tool (uses a collar rather than jaws to pull the pulley), and once that comes off, the bolts are pretty easy to get to.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

alright so I rented a pulley puller. Its kinda looks like the one in this youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujslj-830ck

Im not so sure how to use one of these things. I pretty much did what this guy did the video lol but Im afraid Im still not doin something correctly. I screw that bolt in, that thing only went in half ways. Im turning that nut & bolt same direction as that guy did in the video. feels like Im about to snap that bolt or something just dont feel right. Every other thread I came across said it was easy job yet not so easy for me

am I doin this right? just keep turning in the same direction as in the video or No?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willis b otch
alright so I rented a pulley puller. Its kinda looks like the one in this youtube video.

Im not so sure how to use one of these things. I pretty much did what this guy did the video lol but Im afraid Im still not doin something correctly. I screw that bolt in, that thing only went in half ways. Im turning that nut & bolt same direction as that guy did in the video. feels like Im about to snap that bolt or something just dont feel right. Every other thread I came across said it was easy job yet not so easy for me

am I doin this right? just keep turning in the same direction as in the video or No?
Not sure what exactly he's doing there...I'm thinking he should have chilled with the coffee before the video, heh.

I've got an old PS pump in the garage...give me a couple minutes and I'll try and toss up a couple pictures of the setup.

Edit: right, so no pics, but after looking at the setup for a second, without a collar removal tool, I don't think the pulley can be removed at all. The guy might be showing how to reinstall the pulley, but I don't think that'll work for removing it.

If you search for "power steering pulley puller" on Amazon, you should be able to pick up the kit you need. There's a couple different orange-box versions for different prices, but as far as I know, they're all the same.

Last edited by Element; 08-08-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I just went to two autozone and one kragen.
Not one of the stores have a collar that fits. The collar is that two pieces comes apart goes over that nut piece &,that circle thing wraps around the whole thing. That is the collar rigght? Lol

I just can't find a collar that fits, do I even really need that thing
Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willis b otch
Ok so I just went to two autozone and one kragen.
Not one of the stores have a collar that fits. The collar is that two pieces comes apart goes over that nut piece &,that circle thing wraps around the whole thing. That is the collar rigght? Lol

I just can't find a collar that fits, do I even really need that thing
Yeah, there should be two half-circle pieces that go around the neck on the pulley, then the collar slips over them to hold them in place. I had to grind the **** out of the half-circle pieces I got in order for them to fit around the lip on the pulley.

I wound up buying my kit off Amazon, although Harbor Freight has the exact same thing. Auto Zone shows a kit, p/n 27031 "OEM/Power steering pulley puller/installer", that looks like it's work. Without the puller, I'm really not sure how you'd get it off...I couldn't get either of my 2-jaw or 3-jaw pullers to work (aside from there not being enough room to get them in there, they would have just broken the plastic lip off), and to install, you'd have to get a long bolt with the right thread pitch, some nuts and washers.

Last edited by Element; 08-08-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

alright nobody seems to have this dam puller at a near by autoparts store. not one store

I really dont wanna order this cause it always turns out its the wrong one. so where can I find this actull pulley puller. with the right collar I need. for this 99 camaro
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the whole pump and pulley off, but it's fiddly & time consuming!
I did it by cutting an open ended spanner in half with a hacksaw so I could get it on the bolts because it was too long.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

You need this. This is identical to my Matco one that cost over 100$, I did a quick search and it looks like the Matco one may be different now but the one I have looks just like this and works perfect. You need proper tools for removing and installing the pulley. There is not other way to do it without damaging something. I have been a tech for many years, ask me how I know

Even with the right tools its still kinda a pain dealing with press on pulleys.

As stated you can the pump off with the pulley on but that is definately a pain.

Edit: I removed the link since its non sponsor but look this up...

KD Hand Tools 2897

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

that KD tools says its for the quad 4..........
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The KD tool set looks a lot like the one I got (think it's US General?), just with a different blow-mold layout. They've got various bolt sizes/thread pitch dimensions for different vehicles. There is a Quad-4 only puller, but the one I (accidentally) got didn't come in a case or anything, and had a secondary bolt affixed to the main puller bolt.

As an alternate to the KD Tools set, this is the one I have, and is a little cheaper: http://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-...set-40749.html (don't think any sponsors sell it, so hopefully the link is ok...). You'll have to grind the half-moon collars a bit on the thick side, but it's nothing a couple minutes with a file or a quick pass with a grinding wheel can't fix.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
that KD tools says its for the quad 4..........
It has adaptors ALSO for quad 4, not ONLY

That harbor frieght one posted looks like a pretty decent copy, if the parts are worth a crap that would be a decent one besides the having to grind on it to make it work part. KD makes really good stuff for a great cost, I would go with the KD if it were me.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
It has adaptors ALSO for quad 4, not ONLY

That harbor frieght one posted looks like a pretty decent copy, if the parts are worth a crap that would be a decent one besides the having to grind on it to make it work part. KD makes really good stuff for a great cost, I would go with the KD if it were me.
Yep, were I going to use it more than a couple of times, I'd have bought the nicer set myself.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Element
Yep, were I going to use it more than a couple of times, I'd have bought the nicer set myself.
I completely understand that, I bought the best because I was a tech at the time and used it a lot. But I would be interested to use the Harbor Frieght one just because it looks identical to my set from Matco, curious if they make good quality replica stuff.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I completely understand that, I bought the best because I was a tech at the time and used it a lot. But I would be interested to use the Harbor Frieght one just because it looks identical to my set from Matco, curious if they make good quality replica stuff.
The threaded bits and pieces seem good, I just put a little moly lube on the ones I used to remove/install my pulley (although that's normal practice for me) and didn't have any problems with it. The split pieces were rough cast and fit fine on an old S-10 power steering pulley I had in the garage, so it could be the LS1 pulley just has a shorter neck...just had to take a hair off to make it fit right.