General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC blows cold but not hard enough to cool down the car what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC blows cold but not hard enough to cool down the car what gives?

So my ac blows cold and all the speeds work but it doesnt blow hard enough to keep the car cool even with the ttop shades and tinted windows.Without buying a new blower motor could the blower motor not be getting the correct voltage and is there anyway to give it more voltage to get more fan speed without frying the motor?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
So my ac blows cold and all the speeds work but it doesnt blow hard enough to keep the car cool even with the ttop shades and tinted windows.Without buying a new blower motor could the blower motor not be getting the correct voltage and is there anyway to give it more voltage to get more fan speed without frying the motor?
You may have a vacuum leak and the vent doors inside the dash aren't opening all the way. Check the A/C vacuum lines over by the PCM under the hood. Check the plastic black "T" fitting as well, check for small cracks, they get dried out over time. I think they cost like $5.00.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It should blow so cold that you feel like you might freeze your *** off at the Max setting. If not, then you probably just need to have the refrigerant serviced - or you may have a refrigerant leak.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
You may have a vacuum leak and the vent doors inside the dash aren't opening all the way. Check the A/C vacuum lines over by the PCM under the hood. Check the plastic black "T" fitting as well, check for small cracks, they get dried out over time. I think they cost like $5.00.

Thanks ill take a look at that in the morning because it just doesnt blow hard enuff at all and its hot down here
Originally Posted by wssix99
It should blow so cold that you feel like you might freeze your *** off at the Max setting. If not, then you probably just need to have the refrigerant serviced - or you may have a refrigerant leak.
Thats what i was fearing because it blows cold but not enuff to feel like im going to freeze unless its night time and not as hot out then i have to turn down the ac but during the day it sucks but i dont want to drive my wifes suv so i soldier on its just really freaking hot
Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Anyone who services AC can test it inexpensively. If there is an issue, you'll want to get it fixed soon before it stresses out your compressor and leads to a much more expensive fix.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine does something similar, it works perfect, but on long trips (hour+) it's starts slowing down and although it's cold the air stops blowing out eventually..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Simple test to see if you have enough refrigerant in the system. Buy a thermometer for $1 from an auto-parts store and stick it in the vent. If it reads under 50 degrees, (45 is the best you'll get) while you're driving around, its fine. No matter what the fan speed is, the vent temp should remain the same.

If the blower is not blowing hard enough then you may want to check the blower motor resistor. It controls how fast the motor turns. I had that problem in a 2000 Grand Am I owned, the blower motor resistor was partially burned out and would only operate the blower motor at med-low speed.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
Simple test to see if you have enough refrigerant in the system. Buy a thermometer for $1 from an auto-parts store and stick it in the vent. If it reads under 50 degrees, (45 is the best you'll get) while you're driving around, its fine. No matter what the fan speed is, the vent temp should remain the same.

If the blower is not blowing hard enough then you may want to check the blower motor resistor. It controls how fast the motor turns. I had that problem in a 2000 Grand Am I owned, the blower motor resistor was partially burned out and would only operate the blower motor at med-low speed.
You think it's the actual fan motor if it slows down on a long trip, and then is fine if you let it sit awhile?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnet
You think it's the actual fan motor if it slows down on a long trip, and then is fine if you let it sit awhile?
that sounds like a reasonable question. check one, check the other. figure out whats good so you know it's not the problem. In this case looks the blower motor is cheaper then the resistor based on what I just looked up on Autozone.

Quick Reply: AC blows cold but not hard enough to cool down the car what gives?