General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Pully Wining + Smell Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pully Wining + Smell Help

Found out my power steering is going out, what i would like to know is does any body get that burning smell??? Also does anybody know or have a write up on how to remove and replace the pully? and anything else i should know before performing this job; the wining is starting to get worse

all comments are appreciated Thanks!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I don't get a burning smell. How do you know its the pulley vs. the pump? Does the steering still feel fine?

Getting the pulley off is easy:
- Get PS Pulley Puller Tool
- Take the serpentine belt off
- Put tool on the pulley
- Turn shaft on tool and wait for the "pop" of the pulley coming off the shaft

Once you get the pulley off the shaft, you'll have easy access to the pump bolts if you need to take that off.

If you need a pulley, PM me. I have one in great condition.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Well when I'm at a red-light at idle is the only time I really get the smell on the freeway is when I hear the wining and the steering is real rough when turning specially on Uturns and slow turns it feels really rough!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Sounds like your pump is dead. Do you plan to keep your car for a while and do you need it to drive every day? If you are going to keep it around and can go without your car for a few days, I'd recommend sending it off to TurnOne for a rebuild and new pulley. Their pulley makes it a breeze to re-install.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Sounds like your pump is dead. Do you plan to keep your car for a while and do you need it to drive every day? If you are going to keep it around and can go without your car for a few days, I'd recommend sending it off to TurnOne for a rebuild and new pulley. Their pulley makes it a breeze to re-install.
Yeah kinda my daily driver, don't want to but might have to settle for an AutoZone part until i send it out. I checked out on removing and installation seem like a pretty easy . Appreciate your feedback!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vinny01ss
Yeah kinda my daily driver, don't want to but might have to settle for an AutoZone part until i send it out. I checked out on removing and installation seem like a pretty easy . Appreciate your feedback!
can you explane in detail once i get the pully puller on how to take off the pully
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by stubbs4
can you explane in detail once i get the pully puller on how to take off the pully
If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be working on the car. Here's a hint - the puller usually comes in a set. One part is a puller and the other is an installer.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be working on the car. Here's a hint - the puller usually comes in a set. One part is a puller and the other is an installer.
Yes i know i should be the last person working on a car but i have never done anything and now i dont have money to pay for repairs. so i have to start taking care of it myself.

all i am asking for is someone to help out a noob, we all have to start somewhere
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Seriously... Its really easy. When you see the tool, you'll get it. Shaft goes in the pulley shaft, shackles and a collar connect the two shafts, turn, and it pops off.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

you can rent them from a place like autozone... even the dumbasses that work there should be able to tell you how to use it.

best of luck if you dive into it yourself. nothings more gratifying then working on your car yourself... unless its motor mounts.... I ******* HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

It is really easy. once u get the pully off, just take the hoses off and then the 2 bolts. there is a write-up on this forum somewhere. I just cannot remember which section it is in. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

BTW. You can rent the pulley puller from auto-zone. They will tell u how to use it.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

i have had the tool the whole time this thred as been open i got it from autzone but the tool does not pull the pully off thanks for the input.. so i thought i was doing it wrong so i asked for conformation
Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Can you post a pic on the tool installed to the pulley? When you put the shackles on, do they get in the groove far enough to touch each other?

My puller was too fat to fit in the groove correctly and I had to do some modifications and other stuff to get it to work.