General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

F*cking window motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F*cking window motor

So.... drilled my holes, and it already has small bolts with nuts holding the motor to the bracket... Well, none of the nuts will back off the bolt! Its a phillips head, but its facing the back side, making it extremely difficult to maintain proper leverage and angle on it, so one is already pretty stripped anyway, and the others the bolt spins, but will not back off anymore... How in the f*ck can I get these bolts out so I can get the new motor in.

Sorry, its really frickin hot outside, and finally have time to try to get this motor in after the part sat in my garage for 5 months.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

If u can get s screw driver back the u should be able to get a pair of small vice grips to lock onto the screw. Worst case scenario take a dremel tool with the cutting wheel tip on it and cut em off. U may need to widen the holes to u drilled to get the dremel into it. It sounds like the regulator went out and they replaced it with the motor already attached once the got it it. I think u can take the regulator out somewhat to get to it but that is alot more trouble than just cutting the bolts.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^

vice grips
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man! It sounds like someone used lock-tite on those screws.

I dont know why or how they screwed them in 'backwards' like that, but thats nuts.

I've always replaced the motor and screws with the phillips end facing me, and i never use lock-tite.

Maybe try drilling those screws out will do the trick.

Let us know how it all works out.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You might have to pull the whole regulator out if you cant get those out. Honestly, if you have pulled them before i think it is actually easier and you can use rivets again like the factory.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Definitely sounds like the person who put that in was a f*(king $%shole and pulled some locktite out of their a$$ and put it on the bolts. The also should have used a normal f*(king bolt with a hex head on it.

Before you go to vice grips, you might try one of those phillips screwdrivers that is bent like a alen wrench and see if you can get it back there. Sh*(.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by antsls1
If u can get s screw driver back the u should be able to get a pair of small vice grips to lock onto the screw. Worst case scenario take a dremel tool with the cutting wheel tip on it and cut em off. U may need to widen the holes to u drilled to get the dremel into it. It sounds like the regulator went out and they replaced it with the motor already attached once the got it it. I think u can take the regulator out somewhat to get to it but that is alot more trouble than just cutting the bolts.
I have been able to get a a screwdriver on the back side, but there is so little room to maintain leverage on it, not to mention your arm is at a precarious angle.

You saying try and grab the head of the bolt with vice grips then use my socket to hopefully get the nut off? Or vice versa?

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Oh man! It sounds like someone used lock-tite on those screws.

I dont know why or how they screwed them in 'backwards' like that, but thats nuts.

I've always replaced the motor and screws with the phillips end facing me, and i never use lock-tite.

Maybe try drilling those screws out will do the trick.

Let us know how it all works out.
Yea, they must have used some loctite... Bastards And the whole putting the face of the screw on the backside is retarded. I really can't drill them out since I am seeing the bottom of the bolt and not the head.

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
You might have to pull the whole regulator out if you cant get those out. Honestly, if you have pulled them before i think it is actually easier and you can use rivets again like the factory.
This is my first time even doing the motor, so don't have experience with the regulator. Is the arm the motor is bolted to part of the regulator? Its just a brace built onto it?

Originally Posted by wssix99
Definitely sounds like the person who put that in was a f*(king $%shole and pulled some locktite out of their a$$ and put it on the bolts. The also should have used a normal f*(king bolt with a hex head on it.

Before you go to vice grips, you might try one of those phillips screwdrivers that is bent like a alen wrench and see if you can get it back there. Sh*(.
Might be an option. I am probably going to have to wait till this next weekend to maybe try again... Just going to leave my door panel and everything off.

All in all, just really pissed me off, not being able to roll the window down for so long, then finally having the time and motivation to go tackle it, and run into that huge headache... Also, I noticed one of the guides that has the... phelt(I know that is spelled wrong), are those cheap to find as I noticed on of them is cracked

Thanks every1 for the replies.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=TurdsOfMayhem;13829502]

You saying try and grab the head of the bolt with vice grips then use my socket to hopefully get the nut off? Or vice versa?

exactly vice grips in my opinion is gonna be ur best bet.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well a month later, finally had time to really tackle this dilemma. My wedding was on October 10th, and I work out of town. So between those few things, I drove around every where w/o my door panel on. LOL

I found a really nice small pare of vice grips at Lowes and was able to latch onto the back side of the bolt (even though it had a round head), and got two nuts off - actually the bold just broke off which was fine with me. The third one I had to use the vise grips and just keep bending the **** out of it till it broke. Got the new motor in and am so damn excited to finally be able to roll the window down again. LOL!

And I put the new bolts in with the heads facing in so if it has to come off again, it will be a piece of cake. Just giving the update as I believe a few folks said to let ya know if I ever got it in. Have a few extra holes trying to find those bolts, and shaved them a little larger with the bit too, but oh well, its covered behind the door panel anyway!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Launching!

A bit of advice on weird tools... They make these... angled screwdrivers... The closest I can describe them is like a double ended allen wrench. I even have one that ratchets. The non ratcheting ones look kinda like this...

|_____
.........|

Ignore the dots, I needed to add them to get the picture right.

The ratcheting one doesn't have the other end, just the one end. I tried to find a photo, but the ones I found are big and bulky. The regular is really like a double ended allen wrench though. Same basic size. Might be useful to you in the future.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, since I installed the bolts correctly, shouldn't have to worry to much next time.
And I had the passenger door panel of previously for some thing else, and it still has the rivets.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Elthesh
A bit of advice on weird tools... They make these... angled screwdrivers... The closest I can describe them is like a double ended allen wrench. I even have one that ratchets. The non ratcheting ones look kinda like this...

|_____
.........|

Ignore the dots, I needed to add them to get the picture right.

The ratcheting one doesn't have the other end, just the one end. I tried to find a photo, but the ones I found are big and bulky. The regular is really like a double ended allen wrench though. Same basic size. Might be useful to you in the future.

You mean this...?

I have never encountered a situation were these actually became handy.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If that is what he was talking about. Still wouldn't have helped me much due to the bolts being backwards facing.