General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Free Play In Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing, has lots of play left to right, I put a newer LS rack in it and tightened the crap out of all the bolts but the problem still continues. Next step is to get rid of the old *** rag joint.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camaroboricua@6LE
Mine does the same thing, has lots of play left to right, I put a newer LS rack in it and tightened the crap out of all the bolts but the problem still continues. Next step is to get rid of the old *** rag joint.
Definitely get the ragjoint eliminator. It helped a ton on my old 97!!

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
Okay just so we're clear, no ragjoint on Ls1's? It could be the tires. They still have a lot of meat on them, but I guess it's possible. But would that cause the steering wheel to have free play in it?
Like I said the ragjoint is a 93-97 only thing. I couldn't imagine in any way tires causing free play in the steering. I would check in order: tighten all bolts on the steering shaft and rack, then check for any loose play in tie rod ends. If everything seems tight, you just simply have a worn out steering rack.

See pic for tie rod end example:

It's the yellow cup that covers the tie rod.. Check the nut on the tie rod for loose play.. Wiggle everything, find ANYTHING loose.

As you can see in this pic, there are many seals in a steering rack which can wear causing steering play. I'm willing to bet, a worn out steering rack..

Steering looseness and wander, when accompanied by a feathered toe wear pattern on the front tires, usually indicates worn inner sockets and/or outer tie rod ends that need replacing

Last edited by HoLLo; 09-15-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Whats the yoke adjustment do? I wanted to turn that to see if it would help any but wast sure what it did so I left it alone.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same problem on my car. The steering wheel is very sloppy and easily shifts from side to side with play while driving. I can wiggle the steering wheel a good 1/2 inch each way while on the freeway with no change in direction... it's just extra play...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Definitely get the ragjoint eliminator. It helped a ton on my old 97!!

Like I said the ragjoint is a 93-97 only thing. I couldn't imagine in any way tires causing free play in the steering. I would check in order: tighten all bolts on the steering shaft and rack, then check for any loose play in tie rod ends. If everything seems tight, you just simply have a worn out steering rack.

See pic for tie rod end example:

It's the yellow cup that covers the tie rod.. Check the nut on the tie rod for loose play.. Wiggle everything, find ANYTHING loose.

As you can see in this pic, there are many seals in a steering rack which can wear causing steering play. I'm willing to bet, a worn out steering rack..

Thank you for taking the time dude. I'm going to check this asap. As I said, the rack was replaced about 50k ago w/a brand new unit so I'll be a little pissed if the whole thing is shot so soon. But I guess it's got to be an option.

Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Free Play In Steering Wheel?