General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Annoying squeak coming from front of car

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Annoying squeak coming from front of car

I replaced the serpentine belt about 6-8 months because it showed visible wear. Something was starting to squeak as well and I figured it was the belt.

The squeaking is back and worse than ever. The belt is fine so I imagine the real culprit is one of the pulleys, correct? How can I narrow down which pulley it is? Can I remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand to figure out which one is making the noise?

It doesn't make the sound at idle. Only when the car is in motion. Is one of the pulleys definitely the culprit or could something else be causing this squeaking noise?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you remove the belt and spin the pulleys and they sound like a crappy rollerskate wheel, the bearings are toast. You can regrease them or I just replaced all of the idler/tensioner pulleys for 100 bucks a few months ago.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DWake
If you remove the belt and spin the pulleys and they sound like a crappy rollerskate wheel, the bearings are toast. You can regrease them or I just replaced all of the idler/tensioner pulleys for 100 bucks a few months ago.
Is replacing them difficult? I am not very mechanically inclined.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regrease them! All you need is a 15mm socket, a sharp knife, some heavy duty bearing grease, and a q-tip helps. Its way cheaper, they bearings are very sturdy they just dry out due to the seal design.

All you have to do is take off the bolt holding the pulley on to remove it, then get just the pulley and you will see it has a plastic band in the center on both sides, just pry it up with a knife on the front and back, use your q-tip to spread some grease all around the bearings, and press it back together with your fingers. Works great, mine last about 10-20k per greasing before it gets dry again.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Spend $15 for a mechanic's stethoscope. It will save you a lot of time/grief and is a really handy thing if you own an older car.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let's just say it's not in the engine bay. Check your calipers and pads. If you removed them recently, a clip fell out, or the pins need to be greased, they will squeak
Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Let's just say it's not in the engine bay. Check your calipers and pads. If you removed them recently, a clip fell out, or the pins need to be greased, they will squeak
I do need to change the pads. It would be a lot easier if the noise was audible at idle. I can only hear it in motion. I don't see how a stethoscope would help in my situation. I let the car run idle for 5 minutes and couldn't hear a single thing.

I remember when I replaced the belt 6-8 months ago it stopped the squeak quite a bit, but now its back and much worse. The belt looks fine. Even though the belt looks fine could it be the culprit?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Save the manuals!

I missed the detail about idle. Wheel bearings! They sound just like a squeaky brake or belt. If you the the calipers and rotors you can spin the bearings and feel for roughness. They should be as smooth as glass. If they feel like a meat grinder, then they are on the way out.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My brake pads squeak and I put some more silencer on the back of them and it stopped. When my wheel bearing went, it made a hum sound at low speeds and would "skip" the wheels in reverse turning sharp. I vote for brake pads.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Brakes squeak when you apply them. Bearings squeak all the time and may come/go at different speeds.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Brakes squeak when you apply them. Bearings squeak all the time and may come/go at different speeds.
I have Hawk ferro carbon pads and if they come loose they squeak just like a bearing... and will come and go.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

If the culprit truly was the brake pads, why would I be getting the squeak if I am not applying the brakes? It DOES happen when I am slowing down, but it also happens at a steady speed on cruise control. If changing the pads will remove the squeaking sound I will be very happy!

Ive been meaning to change the pads. I didn't think it would cause that squeak though. It definitely doesn't squeak during idle. It sounds audible the most at steady speeds and slowing down. I can't really tell if it happens during acceleration because of my exhaust.

Also, my car has only 60k miles. Do pulleys normally go out around that time frame? Might even narrow it down further.

Last edited by tmc2k1; 09-22-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Sounds like it could be bearings. Does the squealing go away when you brake?

Even though you have 60K miles, you still have a 10 year old car. We're at a point where age is impacting the car as much as mileage. Synthetic materials get brittle, rubber seals start to go, greases/fluids start to leak, etc. They don't make 'em like they used to...
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's the brakes, the squeak would only happen if the car's in motion. The squeak is one of the pads slightly touching the rotors while it's moving.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, it only happens when the car is in motion. I also hear the sound when I am braking. I tried to listen for the squeak for 5 minutes outside the car at idle, but couldn't hear a single squeak.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Time to check the bearings...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Time to check the bearings...
Like aforementioned, I am not very mechanically inclined. Do I need to remove the rotors and calipers to tell if the bearing needs replacement?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

The easy check is to raise the wheel off the ground, grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and pull/push it back and forth. If it wobbles, the bearings are really bad and you should replace them right away.

If that doesn't do anything, then you need to take the brake calipers and rotors off and then turn the hub by hand. If it feels like a meat grinder, the bearings are going bad and are probably the source of your squeaking. (The bearings should be perfectly smooth.)
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Today, I decided to try to push down on all 4 corners of the car for to see if I heard any squeaks. As soon as I pushed down on the passenger front quarter panel, the squeak was there. I popped the hood and pushed down on the area right in front of the battery. That made the squeak most apparent. It is hard to narrow down where it is coming from EXACTLY since nobody is home at the moment. As soon as my dad gets home I will have him push down and see if I can hear where its coming from.

Could this be the same squeak I hear when I am driving? Could this be the wheel bearing, or possibly something suspension related?

Also, I heard the serpentine belt should be REALLY tight with no slack. The belt does has a little slack to it and I can even twist it to see the condition of the belt. Is this normal or should it be much tighter? I don't think the belt could be causing the squeak because it looks fine and it isn't even a year old. Just curious if a loose belt could cause it.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Its not the belt. If it was, you would hear the squeak all the time when the engine was running. But you should know how to check that. On your belt tensioning pulley, there are three marks. The mark on one side should be between the two marks on the other side where the pulley pivots on the body that attaches to the engine.

Likewise, if the problem happens only when the car is in motion at any speed and not when you are going over bumps, the problem is probably at the wheels.

This is the test to check your bearings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsC-...eature=related Even if your wheel doesn't move like this one, the bearings could still be the source of the squeak. To check further, do this with the wheel off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjj9v...eature=related The second test should not make noise and the bearing should turn smooth as glass.

This video has a good comparison of what a good and bad bearing sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FOPk...eature=related

FYI - This is a common but relatively expensive problem. The bearings on our cars have a built-in speed sensor for the ABS system, which makes the unit expensive. When you replace them, they should be done for both sides of the car at the same time. For both sides, the parts should run you $300-400 and if you can get installation for around $150, you've found a good deal.

Quick Reply: Annoying squeak coming from front of car