General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is attachment above oil filter supposed to have a "neck" like pass. does for dipstik?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010 | 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Is attachment above oil filter supposed to have a "neck" like pass. does for dipstik?

On the driver side of an LS1 F-Body above the oil filter there is an attachment (in yellow). is the attachment supposed to have a neck with an outlet (in red) like there is on the passenger side for the dipstick or is it not supposed to have a neck with the outlet to prevent oil from leaking because there is no dipstick there to plug the hole? I am trying to find where an oil leak of mine is coming from and saw that above my oil filter, my attachment has the neck and outlet.

This picture may help illustrate my question. Disregard the braided line and all that jazz coming from that area. Is the attachment on the driver side (in yellow) supposed to have the neck/outlet (in red) coming out of it or should that provision only be on the passenger side for the dipstick?

I am not sure if it is an entrance only type of deal where the dipstick can go in but oil cannot leave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-30-2010 | 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

I cannot see the picture..but can tell you that you should have the small piece with the neck, however there should be no open hole in the neck. It should be solid. If there is a hole, someone has used it for oil psi sender or possibly a turbo oil feed line..
Old 10-06-2010 | 03:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure I'ev never seen that on my car. Looks like a mod for a manual oil pressure sender, or turbo oil feed line like prev poster said..
Old 10-06-2010 | 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

That piece has a neck facing upwards like the pic. There is a hole but in the bottom of the hole it is sealed. You have to drill through that first before you can tap the hole. That is a standard piece on LS1 oil pans.
Old 10-09-2010 | 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya i took a closer look tonight and mine is not flush metal all the way across. it has a hole in it. i have no idea if it is sealed at the bottom or not. i wonder if the engine builder mixed up a sealed one with one that is used for the dipstick? i will get a picture on sunday or so and post up.
Old 10-09-2010 | 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdoyle
ya i took a closer look tonight and mine is not flush metal all the way across. it has a hole in it. i have no idea if it is sealed at the bottom or not. i wonder if the engine builder mixed up a sealed one with one that is used for the dipstick? i will get a picture on sunday or so and post up.
There is no way that part can be modified to be used for a dipstick.

It does have a blind hole in it. I drilled it all the way through and tapped it for my oil pressure sending unit.

If yours is drilled, trust me, it would spray oil out of it. You'd be out of oil in a few minutes and there would be a huge puddle of it under your car.

IMO it's just wishful thinking that you could fix a leak by changing that part out.
Old 10-09-2010 | 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets say you you have a nasty leak from this area. like your oil filter is filthy and wet with oil and the attachment piece with the neck above it too along with the oil pan itself.

what could be causing this leak besides:
cracked oil pan?
blown out oil pan gasket
damaged attachment piece with the neck
blown out gasket in between the block and the attachment piece with the neck
blown out oil filter gasket?
improper seating of the fitting deal in the block that the filter attaches to?

im just trying to gather as many opinions and as much data as i can before i post the pic of the actual leak itself.
Old 10-09-2010 | 06:03 PM
Banned

Well the stock sending unit is right above that area, it's part plastic and if it leaked it would run down that side of the block.

Could be the gasket for that piece, the oil pan gasket, rear cover gasket, etc.

Best thing might be to degrease it real good, this way you will be able to see fresh oil and follow it's path. I've heard of people using baby powder to track down leaks too.
Old 10-10-2010 | 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do they use the baby powder? i have never heard of that before.
Old 10-10-2010 | 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdoyle
how do they use the baby powder? i have never heard of that before.
I've never done it.

It's said that you somehow put it around the area, it will cover up old built up oil and gunk, the leaking oil will make a new mark that can be easily seen.
Old 10-10-2010 | 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Baby powder sticks to everything, just use a flashlight and get under there

Quick Reply: Is attachment above oil filter supposed to have a "neck" like pass. does for dipstik?