General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattling Noise during WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked everything on mine too, and it has the some what of the same symptoms. Only under WOT I hear a rattling noise coming from the drivetrain like if the u joint is bad, again only UNDER WOT, because I turn it on nothing, I drive normal nothing. My car is an A4 with 150k+ miles transmission rebuild at 130k, trying to figure this issue out too.

Subscribe
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a similar issue, but it only happened everyonce in awhile. found out all the dowel pins from my monster clutch came loose and they were rattling/bouncing around the bell housing.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems there are a few issues revolving around the same noise. This makes the most sense so far since I had one of my 02 sensors replaced not too long ago. The noise was gone for a while and it came back. Before I knew what it was, the car used to act like it was mis firing one a start up every once a while.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Guys check your exhaust and heat shields. Get under the car and bang on the y pipe some and you will probably hear the rattle you are looking for.
For me it was a loose 02 sensor rattling around.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bongva
i had a similar issue, but it only happened everyonce in awhile. found out all the dowel pins from my monster clutch came loose and they were rattling/bouncing around the bell housing.
I think this could be my problem my car is an m6 , but did the noise sound like it was coming from the engine bay or the steering wheel ?

Edit my car is 100% stock though
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a busted catalytic converter on my car but the rattle was constant, not just at WOT. For a few months there was no SES light but then it eventually came on. Dealer replaced both cats for free.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine sounded like if it were the heat shields and it turned out to be were the collector met the ORY wasn't making a good clamp
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themack56
i had the same noise when i changed from a stock intake to fast 90. my tuner said it was knocking up top.

Problem is no longer present.
Please explain how you solved this? Was it just with a tune?

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise during WOT