General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HID headlights not working help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlights not working help please!

Hey everyone,

I just bought Eagle Motorsport Halo Headlights with HID off of eBay. I attempted to install the HIDs but I have not been able to make them work. I have attached a pic of the Xenon bulb with the four connectors and ballister. I plugged the low beam wire into the ballister and the 2 small wires from the ballister to the Xenon bulb, is this correct? I went over the directions but theyre very vague. The HID set I bought was for the single low beam, not High and Lows. Do I need relays?

I know setting up HIDs shouldnt be this hard but i'm not good with electrical work. Any help is appreciated.

Evan
Attached Thumbnails HID headlights not working help please!-hid.jpg  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Reverse the plug going from the bulb to the stock wiring (put it in rotated the wrong way). We have reverse polarized wiring for some reason.

EDIT: No you do not need a relay. Just to be clear, the long, fat wire with a plug on the end goes into the ballast. The short wires next to the bulb with a plug on the end plugs into the stock wiring that the halogen bulb was plugged into . The two small plugs plug into the opposite counter parts on the ballast.

Last edited by FUH Q; 10-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Aite sweet man thanks...I hope i didnt burn out the ballisters now. That would suck.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Don't worry it wont harm anything. Lemme know if it still doesn't work.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

lmao thanks for the diagram. I would have got it wrong again if you didn't take your time to draw that up. Thank you very much hopefully it'll work when I try it out this afternoon.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

No problem
Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Okay so the HIDs work when putting the low beam wire in backwards. Now the passenger side HID randomly shuts off while driving. When I turn on and off the high beams the HID turns back on but keeps going off. Do you know what can be causing this???

I think I want to change the bulbs to white so I can avoid getting a ticket and for better lighting. The blue really doesnt light up the road good enough. Also, I want to get HID fogs. Is the fog light bulb an 880 Bulb? Can I use a 55w HID fog light? How is the HID fog light fitment?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AgentLS1Z
Okay so the HIDs work when putting the low beam wire in backwards. Now the passenger side HID randomly shuts off while driving. When I turn on and off the high beams the HID turns back on but keeps going off. Do you know what can be causing this???

I think I want to change the bulbs to white so I can avoid getting a ticket and for better lighting. The blue really doesnt light up the road good enough. Also, I want to get HID fogs. Is the fog light bulb an 880 Bulb? Can I use a 55w HID fog light? How is the HID fog light fitment?
Make sure everything is plugged and mounted securely.

880's are for Firebirds, but will fit in camaro fogs, and will take some time and frustration to get them to fit right sometimes (for me it sure did). You might have to unscrew the base of the fog light housing a bit to get them to fit.

It isn't recommended that you use 55w in the fogs as that's a good bit of heat build up for that little area. 35w will be plenty bright though.

What temperature bulbs do you plan to go with?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FUH Q
Make sure everything is plugged and mounted securely.

880's are for Firebirds, but will fit in camaro fogs, and will take some time and frustration to get them to fit right sometimes (for me it sure did). You might have to unscrew the base of the fog light housing a bit to get them to fit.

It isn't recommended that you use 55w in the fogs as that's a good bit of heat build up for that little area. 35w will be plenty bright though.

What temperature bulbs do you plan to go with?
Everything is definitely plugged and mounted securely. Should I get a relay? Or try new bulbs?

Will 9006's fit better for foglights?

I wanna get 4500K for low beams, and 3000k for the foglights...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use 35 for dogs.. I would recommend 4 of 5k if you don't want it really blue.

BTW my name is Evan also.. don't run into too many.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

In that case, the problem could be the ballast, the bulb, or the wiring in between. You'll have to do some trouble shooting to figure out which piece of the system is the problem.

894 is the number for camaro fogs, but they are a bit hard to find an hid bulb.

4300k and 3000k are a good combo for pure light output (or so I hear).

EDIT: A relay is only needed for a Firebird. Camaro wiring is up to par.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Use 35 for dogs.. I would recommend 4 of 5k if you don't want it really blue.

BTW my name is Evan also.. don't run into too many.
Nice to meet another Evan. We definitely do not have a common name, although my good friends name is also Evan lol. I actually think the blue looks nice, once I get some clear corners. In a way it does seem cheap since everyone does blue so I may go with white low beams/yellow fogs...My main concern is just getting them to stay on!! its annoying when they just randomly go off.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice to meet another Evan. We definitely do not have a common name, although my good friends name is alsoo Evan lol. I actually think the blue looks nice, once I get some clear corners. In a way it does seem cheap since everyone does blue so I may go with white low beams/yellow fogs...My main concern is just getting them to stay on!! its annoying when they just randomly go off.
Same here.. I only know two other. Also typing off.phone so excuse grammar.

I have 55 watt 6k lows and 35 w 5000 fogs. I am actually going to change the lows to 5000 and I think they will be perfect. They are more blue than any normal car even ones with hids but.not anything like you see some people or the imitation hid blue bulbs.
I have to buy a relay for mine it takes two or three times for all four.to come on. i own a ta though.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Same here.. I only know two other. Also typing off.phone so excuse grammar.

I have 55 watt 6k lows and 35 w 5000 fogs. I am actually going to change the lows to 5000 and I think they will be perfect. They are more blue than any normal car even ones with hids but.not anything like you see some people or the imitation hid blue bulbs.
I have to buy a relay for mine it takes two or three times for all four.to come on. i own a ta though.
I've heard 6k's are blueish. But that does sound perfect. I like yellow too. My HID kit must be an imitation kit. They were super cheap. $140 for halo headlights with HIDs.....Do you think I should try a relay or just buy another HID kit, from DDMtuning?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6K is very slightly blue but it won't look aftermarket.

3K look awesome in the fogs. You will not regret that!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've heard 6k's are blueish. But that does sound perfect. I like yellow too. My HID kit must be an imitation kit. They were super cheap. $140 for halo headlights with HIDs.....Do you think I should try a relay or just buy another HID kit, from DDMtuning?
I would sell that kit on here as is for twenty bucks and go to ddmtuning and buy one. for the 35w regular ballast it is only like thirty bucks with lifetime warranty and they are great company to deal with, highly recommend. We dont need to have slims on our cars, waste of.money.

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
6K is very slightly blue but it won't look aftermarket.

3K look awesome in the fogs. You will not regret that!
In ta lights they most definitely look aftermarket.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...lacements-Pair

Links to what you want/might need.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

+1 for DDM Tuning
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate your help man. Now for the low beams should I get 9006 bulbs or H 4? And for fog lights get 880s?

Quick Reply: HID headlights not working help please!