See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, just thinking out loud.. mostly because the lines are already up there.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS14ME2
Yah, just thinking out loud.. mostly because the lines are already up there.
You have a factory cooler?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
You have a factory cooler?

Yes...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

Yes...
Delete it.
Buy a $25.00-$30.00 small fin type cooler.
Buy the straight rubber upper hose.
Buy 3 feet of new 3/8" hose and run it from the reservoir to the cooler. Then run the other line from the rack to the cooler.

$40.00 and 15-20 minutes......you're done.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Cooling Success-dsc01789.jpg   Power Steering Cooling Success-dsc01787.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I have read this thread in depth and will do the delete and new cooler when I re do my WP, the one I got from AZ has a bad pulley on it.... out of balance and has a small vibration off idle... I will get a free replacement but I really am worried about getting another POS from them..
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

I have read this thread in depth and will do the delete and new cooler when I re do my WP, the one I got from AZ has a bad pulley on it.... out of balance and has a small vibration off idle... I will get a free replacement but I really am worried about getting another POS from them..
Yea, sometimes new parts are dudds.......

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd get a refund and go right down the street to Advanced Auto. Can't beat a lifetime warranty, comes with the metal gaskets too.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bluestreak
I completed this mod last weekend.

My power steering fluid had been mixing with coolant for who knows how long. The fluid I originally removed was a reddish-brown color, was very watery (not nearly as viscous as fresh PSF) and had a burned smell to it. My PS cooler must have been dead for a long time. It took an entire gallon of fresh fluid and flushing the system seven times before the fluid was clear again - and it still wasn't perfectly clear when I quit flushing, but I was almost out of fluid at that point. I'll flush it again in the next few months just for good measure.

It seems the pump survived the prolonged exposure to the contaminated fluid. So... bonus.

After an hour of flushing, in went the new cooler, a Hayden 402 obtained from Amazon.com for $28 to my door. It only took ten minutes to install the cooler.

The zip ties use existing body holes to mount the cooler, and I only used two of the four ties provided. I used some heavy-duty rubber washers slipped between the cooler and the car body. This created about 1/2" gap between the car's frame and the cooler itself (to isolate noise/vibration transmitted from the pump, and to allow cool air to both sides of the cooler). Then I bent the rack-to-cooler line slightly to create a little better angle to re-route the existing line to where I mounted the cooler. I only had to extend the cooler-to-reservoir line of the stock power steering cooler lines about 10-12". I secured the lines to each other using some more zip ties, then secured the lines away from the FEAD belt to prevent any interference.

After rolling the car outside, I swapped in the one-piece upper radiator hose (you can see it in the picture below with the blue sticker on it).

I took the car to a deserted parking lot and flogged it for 30-45 seconds at a time, then practiced a few parallel parks to force the pump to make max pressure with almost no forward speed. That really heats the fluid up. Every few minutes I'd pull over and slide under the front bumper to put my hand on the cooler. After about 15 minutes of playing around, the new cooler was warm to the touch, but never got anything close to hot.

After a 100-mile road trip to my mom's house, the cooler wasn't even warm to the touch when I arrived. IMO that tosses the idea that any air might stagnate behind the air dam while moving, so I'm not going to cut any cooling holes in the front air dam. It's not necessary.

Oh, just for S&G's, I called my local dealer. $156+tax for a factory PSC!?! Insane! The GM engineer who designed the stock PS cooler should be taken into a back alley and flogged with a rubber hose.

It turned out so nice it almost looks factory.

Awesome mod.

-R
Hold the phone...so that little piece of metal in the middle of the coolant line, that u replaced, is the factory power steering cooler!? Ive been wondering why the hell theres a metal section there, no wonder theres ****** coolant in my power steering fluid!!!

That is retarded...I have got to do this. Great thread fellas.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Hold the phone...so that little piece of metal in the middle of the coolant line, that u replaced, is the factory power steering cooler!? Ive been wondering why the hell theres a metal section there, no wonder theres ****** coolant in my power steering fluid!!!

That is retarded...I have got to do this. Great thread fellas.

Yup, one of the worst designs GM has ever made. I'm thinking they made it shitty so it lets coolant go through our engines and cooling systems so we need to take it in for repair/maintenance after warranty periods have run out....lol

I bet a dealership would charge $800.00 to replace it and flush the entire system out till its clean of PS fluid....lol

Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
What are the options for deleting the power steering cooler all together? Can I just cap the 2 ports on the bottom of the PS reservoir or should I loop the line to both ports?
Read the GM High Tech Performance article in the original post. Cooling is needed for the stock pump. If you go with a TurmOne racing pump, you can do without the cooler but your low speed steering will suck.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol I seriously thought the previous owner replaced that section of hose with a piece of metal for some reason

That **** is goin bye bye next weekend
Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Lol I seriously thought the previous owner replaced that section of hose with a piece of metal for some reason

That **** is goin bye bye next weekend
Yea....you figure GM would have done something we are all doing. That design they did had to cost a **** load to design, test and produce. What we do is from already off the shelf cheap stuff.....oh well.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just to get this straight, the fluid flows from the resivoir to the rack, to the cooler, back to the resivoir?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Just to get this straight, the fluid flows from the resivoir to the rack, to the cooler, back to the resivoir?
Yes. The metal line coming out of the reservoir is high pressure off the pump going TO the rack. The metal other metal line coming out of the rack that then turns into rubber goes to the cooler, then back to the reservoir and attaches to the bottom port on the reservoir.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or you could delete the factory PS cooler and not put one back in...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Or you could delete the factory PS cooler and not put one back in...
Sure - lot's of 1998 and some 1999's came this way from the factory. Putting a cooler in will have the pump seals last longer and should cut down on P/S fluid overflows gumming up the alternator.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did this mod yesterday, how do I make sure I get all the air out? My steering wheel shakes randomly at 55mph (not a constant shake) Ive turned the wheel lock to lock plenty of times
Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Save the manuals!

I did this mod yesterday, how do I make sure I get all the air out? My steering wheel shakes randomly at 55mph (not a constant shake) Ive turned the wheel lock to lock plenty of times
It will bleed itself.

If you get the shakes at 55 and it goes away at higher speeds, its probably your wheel balance.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I think I fucked my pump, the fluid shot out quicker than I thought and I couldn't keep the fluid up to level while my friend was turning the wheel back in forth, while we were flushing it. And the shake is not a constant shake it just randomly shakes at 55+. and I noticed while making sharp turns like turning in the driveway it will kind of vibrate and resist.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Well I think I fucked my pump, the fluid shot out quicker than I thought and I couldn't keep the fluid up to level while my friend was turning the wheel back in forth, while we were flushing it. And the shake is not a constant shake it just randomly shakes at 55+. and I noticed while making sharp turns like turning in the driveway it will kind of vibrate and resist.
The pump is pretty durable. As long as you didn't run it dry for a long time, you should be fine. (The same thing happened to me when I did the fluid change.)

Your shake is probably the hubs, then.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success