General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lower part of engine seperating?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower part of engine seperating?!

So my engine sounds like its about to explode. I have no idea what it is. The guy at autozone said the lower part of my engine is seperating. When i start it it clunks and runs really hard, clicking and then at idle the whole car shakes. When i hit the gas it sounds like a popping/backfire sound. more throttle=faster popping. past about 60% throttle there is just really fast pops, and it runs incredibly sluggish, like i lose speed up hills even downshifting and flooring it. its parked now, someone help? Has new battery, oil, radiator was flushed, etc. ideas PLEASE! and estimated repair cost?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No way to tell until its opened up........or diagnosed by someone who knows their ****.

Sounds like a broken crank shaft. And yes, cars will run and drive around with a broken crank shaft.......maybe a rod.

Here's a pic of a guys Eagle crank that broke and the dude did 4 full blown drag races after he heard the clunking noise, but he said it ran ok, so he raced it a few times.

Attached Thumbnails Lower part of engine seperating?!-img_0332.jpg   Lower part of engine seperating?!-img_0333.jpg   Lower part of engine seperating?!-img_0334.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typical autozone jargon "the lower part of your engine is separating". From what you are describing it sounds like an internal mechanical problem leading to misfire(s).
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joshp14
Typical autozone jargon "the lower part of your engine is separating". From what you are describing it sounds like an internal mechanical problem leading to misfire(s).
Whenever a customer pulled in to the shop and they'd ask me what any given noise was, if I didn't know the answer off hand I'd keep my damn mouth shut instead of coming off like a nimrod, lol...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Whenever a customer pulled in to the shop and they'd ask me what any given noise was, if I didn't know the answer off hand I'd keep my damn mouth shut instead of coming off like a nimrod, lol...
Heh, I would pretend like I didnt hear it. If my advisor knows that I can hear it, then guess who gets to work on it? Thats why I avoid standing up in the service drive for too long.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clunking sounds....the whole car shakes....backfiring

When my PCM fried on me, only the passengers side cylinders were firing......the engine still ran smooth. The car did not vibrate or shake at all. It actually drove like that too and was not too bad, just had very low power. (When I drove it like that is when it started and I had no idea what was wrong, I did not go drive it after I got home and realized it). I had one cylinder that was not firing years ago and the car still ran like a raped ape, perfectly fine.

Anyway...........it still sounds like to me something is broken inside. Engines can run with terribly broken and bent parts. But when someone says there's clunking sounds and the whole car shakes............oh boy!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a stock A4 1998 TA a few years ago for cheap.
It had a lot of those symtoms. Real sluggish, shakes like crazy.

No noises, good oil pressure.

I did a compression test which eventually lead to the picture below.
It broke off clean, just took a small chunk out of the bottom of the cylinder. I guess initially it made noise.
I sold the engine to a guy who just honed that cylinder and put in a used piston and rod.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

No updates yet :'( thanks for the help though!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

have you checked for any metal shavings in your oil? have you done a compression test?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

No I have not...didnt think about it actually