General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

annoying problem update.! I screwed up my AICV bigtime

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying problem update.! I screwed up my AICV bigtime

Sometimes my car idles high' at like 1500rpms also does some like 50-100rpm up and down surging. Thing is somedays it does it and somedays it doesn't. If I come to a complete stop the high idle will come down, but thats the only way it will. Even at a complete stop it still surges. Car runs stout and everything, haven't really noticed a significant drop in fuel economy. I got the codes ran and it comes up with the P0507 code. High idle system detects high idle code.

I found a guy on here that was having the same issues and he that thought it might be his EVAP solenoid/cansiter thing, because it was possible for it to cause an intermittent vacuum leak and thats what I have. When the car is cold in the morning it doesn't do it, but once it gets warmed up it starts. I have searched a million times for a vacuum leak and no luck. About the only thing I can hear is a ticking on the exhaust manifold and I don't think this could cause an intermittent problem. I cleaned my AICV and that didn't help. I have made a thread about this before, but never go an answer that fixed my problem. Anybody got any ideas of what to start trying to replace?
I do have a P&P TB, but it was doing this before I put it on. Should I try loosening the blade, move the idle screw out and try to reset it for the hell of it. I bought a new TB gasket and I am gonna that on hoping for a miracle, maybe pull the IACV back out? Can I move the IACV or check that its where it needs to be??
PLEASE HELP!

new post at bottom

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 12-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 206 Posts

sounds like vacum leak.........mine did the same thing when the PCV hose assm took a crap
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
sounds like vacum leak.........mine did the same thing when the PCV hose assm took a crap
I couldn't agree with you more that it sounds like a vac leak. As for the PCV system; I redid it about a month ago, I got a thread on here somewhere with pics and stuff. What could possibly be causing a intermittent vac leak? Drive it one day idle is alright then the next day its at 1500rpms. This morning when I first hopped in it and drove it was at a steady 800-900rpms. 25 mins later its back at freakin 1500 with the surge thing up and down she goes, how or when she'll stop nobody knows.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

check your tps sensor on the maf..I had a similar issue and I was able to fix it

by cleaning out the sensor, it was all oiled up for some reason
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ Using a K&N filter?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the TPS on the MAF? I mean, I know where my TPS is at on my TB.

Are you saying to clean the MAFS?

I don't run a K&N. Already cleaned the MAFS and it runs fine at WOT.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your IAC is probably acting up, happens all the time on these cars...and you WILL NOT get a code till it totally fails.

Go buy a new one, put it on to check. If that doesn't fix it, walk right back in and return it for a refund. Just tell them your car was modded and it doesn;'t fit...works every time. Just tell them that you could not even install it, it does not fit at all. If you say you installed it they might not take it back.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Your IAC is probably acting up, happens all the time on these cars...and you WILL NOT get a code till it totally fails.

Go buy a new one, put it on to check. If that doesn't fix it, walk right back in and return it for a refund. Just tell them your car was modded and it doesn;'t fit...works every time. Just tell them that you could not even install it, it does not fit at all. If you say you installed it they might not take it back.

Thats what I think it is b/c its an intermittent issue. Right now I got my TB off and am trying to reset the blade so I can lower the idle screw down as much as possible. I raised it when the blade was sticking, but I am having trouble getting the blade to not stick with the screw turned down. Got a new TB gasket to throw on there for the hell of it. I did notice the idle problem got a little worse when I put the new TB on, but it was far from acting right with the stocker on there.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK so I pulled my TB off and tried resetting the blade. blah, blah, blah. Cleaned my AICV again. It was really hard to push in and pull back out and was messing with it and oh ****! Pulled the valve/plunger deal out of its housing. Well I put it back in there and now my car is idling at like 1500-1700rpms no matter what I do. Also when I turn my ignition on or off the AICV makes a bunch of noise. Point being I guess I am gonna have to replace it if I want to drive my car anymore. I feel like a fucktard, but hopefully it was my problem anyways.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
OK so I pulled my TB off and tried resetting the blade. blah, blah, blah. Cleaned my AICV again. It was really hard to push in and pull back out and was messing with it and oh ****! Pulled the valve/plunger deal out of its housing. Well I put it back in there and now my car is idling at like 1500-1700rpms no matter what I do. Also when I turn my ignition on or off the AICV makes a bunch of noise. Point being I guess I am gonna have to replace it if I want to drive my car anymore. I feel like a fucktard, but hopefully it was my problem anyways.
Once they fly apart, its usually all over.....

Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
Once they fly apart, its usually all over.....

Yeah I pushed it back in, but it feels like its screwed up. The high idle and sound also give it away. I ordered a new Delphi from rockauto.com
Only time I am gonna touch this one is taking it out of the wrapper. Shoulda just ordered one in the first place, now I can't drive my car.
Does the plunger move in and out of the housing smoothly if they are good or what? I just hope this is whats wrong. I did barely smooth out the outside of my TB blade and the housing barely. The blade had some rough spots. I barely did it so not worried about that being the culprit. My wife is freakin pissed off about the $65 IACV. **** O"reillys wants like $84 for a BWD.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

So did the IAC fix the problem???
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got it on the car, but haven't drove it very far so I don't know if its gonna fix the big problem or not. I can tell you a bad IACV gives you a high idle. lol
I'll update when I drive the car 2mrw.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

i have a similar problem if not the same. It actually just started happening a couple of days ago as soon as the cold weather started getting worse (I live in NJ).

Idling most of the time is okay, the moment i take it for a drive, accelerating up to 30-40mph is okay and then when i try to maintain the speed, the rpm goes up anywhere from 500-1000 more than where it is. It also happens at speeds upto 60-70.

I tried to accelerate from 60+ on the highway and the engine almost sounded hesitant to go faster...usually its been very smooth and you dont feel how fast you go from 60 to 80/85 mph.

Should i take it to a local garage? I have a feeling this might be due to the colder weather. Should i let it warm up longer in the morning before driving? i let it warm for about 7-10 mins now.

Any help would be appreciated. oh and its a 99 A4
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is a little old but did you get your idle to drop back down to a consistent and lower idle after replacing the IAC? I am having the same damn issue right now! I have a ported, polished, epoxied Throttle Body, SLP mass airflow sensor(it has never had an idle problem before and I've had the SLP Mass airflow sensor on their since 02, so ITS not the problem), and I cannot get my idle to drop below 1200 RPMs! ANYONE got an idea? PLEEEEAAASE!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BYBYCOP
I know this thread is a little old but did you get your idle to drop back down to a consistent and lower idle after replacing the IAC? I am having the same damn issue right now! I have a ported, polished, epoxied Throttle Body, SLP mass airflow sensor(it has never had an idle problem before and I've had the SLP Mass airflow sensor on their since 02, so ITS not the problem), and I cannot get my idle to drop below 1200 RPMs! ANYONE got an idea? PLEEEEAAASE!!!
Same issue. Has anyone fixed this effing problem?

Quick Reply: annoying problem update.! I screwed up my AICV bigtime