General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

97 TA radio, windows, wipers won't shut off. killing battery!!! FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 TA radio, windows, wipers won't shut off. killing battery!!! FIXED

97 Trans Am with factory keyless entry. When I turn the car off, take and keys out of the ignition and open either door, the powers stays on to the radio, wipers, windows, and locks. Normally when you open either door it should cut power to all of that but it isn't. I thought it might be the switch in the door jam but the chances of both being bad is low. It has an aftermarket radio in it but it was doing this before that radio was installed. If it sits for more than a day, the battery is dead. I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Last edited by BigBlockPwr; 01-16-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

I pulled the RAP module and it killed the power to the DS power window but the locks, radio, and PS window motor still worked.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

With the key in the ignition, the car off, and the door open, do you get the door ajar chime? Do you get the same behavior for both the driver's side and passenger side door?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Teching In

With the key in the ignition I get the "ding" only when the driver side is open. When the passenger side is open nothing.

Also, when I turn the key to the first click, I get no lights on the dash. When I go to the last click before starting I get all of my dash lights except for the security light. I dont know if that is related though. The PS window also rolls up and down "alot" slower than the driver side does.

Last edited by BigBlockPwr; 01-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

the slow window is the motor, it's common.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Has the car been doing this since you got it? If not, were you doing any work on the car when it started?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bcm ?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I bought the car with the problem not thinking it was something major.

The dome light never goes out. It comes on when you open the doors but never times out. Also noticed that I can turn the headlights on without the key in the ignition. Also have power to the fog lights.

I am leaning toward the electrical part of the ignition switch.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a somewhat similar problem. I bought the car with an aftermarket radio and later removed it. I installed a factory radio and it began to drain the battery. I thought it was a bad radio so I installed another one and had the same problem. It turns out it was the factory amp that is the problem. I reinstalled the aftermarket radio, which by passes the amp, and has never drained the battery.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BigBlockPwr
I bought the car with the problem not thinking it was something major.
Yea... this is really messed up. I suggest pulling a carfax or putting it on a lift and seeing if you can tell what kind of accident it was in.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Ok, the red junction box next to the battery has several wires from the harness that go to it. I noticed that one of the wires had tape on it. I un taped it and the wire is broken. I hooked everything back up minus that one broken wire and it killed power to everything that was staying on. What are all of those wires?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Pic?

Looks more and more like there is some damage or incorrect wiring in the car. Your cut wire points to maybe a shade tree mechanic doing some funky stuff to it in the past? Have you taken a look under the dash at the wiring? Anything wierd there or an aftermarket radio system?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Yes, it does have an aftermarket radio. I have looked at the BCM, all under the dash and everything looks ok. I don't see any sign on things being cut into or butchered. The guy I bought it from said that it did this before he installed the aftermarket radio. If the ignition sw wasn't so hard to get out, I would tackle that but I am trying to weed out the easy stuff first.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Yes, it does have an aftermarket radio. I have looked at the BCM, all under the dash and everything looks ok. I don't see any sign on things being cut into or butchered. The guy I bought it from said that it did this before he installed the aftermarket radio. If the ignition sw wasn't so hard to get out, I would tackle that but I am trying to weed out the easy stuff first.

If they guy you bought it from was so smart, why didn't he fix this issue?

I'd think if the door doesn't chime when your key is out, the switch is fine. Also, if the dash warning lights come on when you turn the ignition one click, that would point to it being fine also.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I never said he was smart but he said he couldn't fix it and wired around it with the cut off switch.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Save the manuals!

I never said he was smart but he said he couldn't fix it and wired around it with the cut off switch.
Ahhh. Do you still have access to him? If so, can you ask if it happened about the time of the radio install? If not, I'd check for an accident - like in the area of one of the doors, etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Teching In

I took the NEG battery cable off and put a test light to the NEG side. The BCM (on the pass side behind the glove box) began to click. I unplugged the large blue harness first. It stopped clicking but then my headlight motors started clicking. I unplugged the headlights and plugged the blue connector back it. The BCM started clicking once again. I unplugged the large blue connector again and left the two smaller ones in the BCM. The clicking stopped but the test light still had a very faint signal. I unplugged every plug in the BCM and still had a very faint signal to my test light.

What is my next step?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Bcm ?
This is exactly what I am thinking....There is a looong thread about this in General uptop.......
Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

It turns out it was the aftermarket radio. The guy I bought it from said that it had these problems before he installed the radio but failed to tell me that he took out a different aftermarket radio and installed another one incorrectly. Re-wired everything correctly and problem solved...

Quick Reply: 97 TA radio, windows, wipers won't shut off. killing battery!!! FIXED