General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Yet another "what is this noise from my engine thread" with video

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Yet another "what is this noise from my engine thread" with video

Today i went to a friends to grease my pullies because they were squeaking. Putting on one of the idlers back on i noticed some electrical tape on my plug on the #1 cylinder.

I pull the plug off and was just dumbfounded. I didn't pull off the electrical tape all the way but the insulating jacket was either melted or cut or they pulled the wires out or something.

We tested the resistance, 3500 ohms! We pulled another one off and tested it and it was around 15-30 ohms, i don't remember. I put it back on because Auto Zone only had Bosch ($71) and cheap Duralast ($30). I wasn't going to pay for the Bosch when i can get good plugs (need to change plugs too) and wires on here for $68 shipped!

But another thing i been noticing and noticed again today was the high pitch ticking when the engine is cold. Before, i attributed it to the pullies (those were squeeking bad before also along with the ticking). So since we just greased them, it can't be them.

The noise goes away within 5-10 minutes after the engine warms a little. We had a Snap On Solus and it didn't show any misfires at all.

Could the bad plug be causing it? Can i unplug that one wire and run the engine to see if it goes away?

Any thoughts? I'll probably buy a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from if the new plugs and wires don't fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RC8iooijEk

Last edited by elwood2; 01-27-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start the motor and turn out the lites and look for any sparking.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

a bad plug wire will cause a misfire at most. the car will still run, but could cause the ses light to come on or run a little bit rougher. i'm thinking that yes it can cause a slight tick due to the misfiring cylinder, but most ls1's have a small tick until warm usually.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Just replaced the broken spark plug wire. The noise is still there. I think it's either piston slap or bad lifter(s). I'll post a video tomorrow as i'm about to leave for work.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ticking on ls engines is commonly an exhaust leak
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

an arcing plu wire can def cause i tick i had it happen on my car and a buddies car after the boot melted on the header. also it could be a loose plug check and make sure they are all tight i had that happen once also
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

A loose spark plug will also cause a tick. Like mentioned, it's most likely an exhaust leak.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Here's the video. (Added to original post)

As said before, it goes away after 5-10 minutes when the engine comes to temp.

I just bought the car. I'm pretty sure it didn't make this noise when i bought it. There's two things i did after i bought it: Changed the oil to Mobile 1 5w30 synthetic with a Mobile 1 filter and switched to 93 octane (she was running 87).

Next oil change I'm switching to conventional oil if you guys say it's piston slap or lifters, etc.

Last edited by elwood2; 01-27-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Bought a mechanics stethoscope. After letting my engine cool i started it and put it on the water pump, valve covers, and intake.

It was the loudest on the intake. So i guess it's either piston slap or lifters? Probably lifters
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

man thats loud. is oil pressure normal?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah, 40-45 at idle and goes up with RPM's.

The iPhone has a sensitive mic, i think the loudness is a little exaggerated. It can be heard from inside the car though when it's a cold start.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Launching!

LS motors have a Technical Service Bulletin on engine noise upon initial startup, which is what you are explaining. GM's fix was to replace the oil pump seal. I did a few of these at the Chevy Dealership I used to work for, and it didn't really cure anything.

TSB is outlined here, sorry for the small screenshot:
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRUTL
LS motors have a Technical Service Bulletin on engine noise upon initial startup, which is what you are explaining. GM's fix was to replace the oil pump seal. I did a few of these at the Chevy Dealership I used to work for, and it didn't really cure anything.

TSB is outlined here, sorry for the small screenshot:
Did you watch the video? Were any of them that loud? Next oil change i'm going back to conventional oil to see if it gets quieter.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by elwood2
Did you watch the video? Were any of them that loud? Next oil change i'm going back to conventional oil to see if it gets quieter.
While I don't recall any of them being as loud as yours, I will say that the ones we did in the winter were a ton louder than the ones we did in the summer. Extremely noticeable. When the issue first arose, Chevrolet didn't have a fix for it. I wish you all could see the looks I've gotten when I'm standing next to the service writer and I handed the customer a printout of GM's no current fix TSB.

As far as the oil, go ahead and do that and then get back on here and let us know, I'm subscribing.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by elwood2
Today i went to a friends to grease my pullies because they were squeaking. Putting on one of the idlers back on i noticed some electrical tape on my plug on the #1 cylinder.

I pull the plug off and was just dumbfounded. I didn't pull off the electrical tape all the way but the insulating jacket was either melted or cut or they pulled the wires out or something.

We tested the resistance, 3500 ohms! We pulled another one off and tested it and it was around 15-30 ohms, i don't remember. I put it back on because Auto Zone only had Bosch ($71) and cheap Duralast ($30). I wasn't going to pay for the Bosch when i can get good plugs (need to change plugs too) and wires on here for $68 shipped!

But another thing i been noticing and noticed again today was the high pitch ticking when the engine is cold. Before, i attributed it to the pullies (those were squeeking bad before also along with the ticking). So since we just greased them, it can't be them.

The noise goes away within 5-10 minutes after the engine warms a little. We had a Snap On Solus and it didn't show any misfires at all.

Could the bad plug be causing it? Can i unplug that one wire and run the engine to see if it goes away?

Any thoughts? I'll probably buy a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from if the new plugs and wires don't fix it.
Forget about it, I know exactly what it is and it WON"T hurt anything. Its called piston slap, you could have the engine decarboned and it may stop for a while but it will come back Jim.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by O2Form
Forget about it, I know exactly what it is and it WON"T hurt anything. Its called piston slap, you could have the engine decarboned and it may stop for a while but it will come back Jim.
This is piston slap?? This loud??
Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Teching In

Default piston slap

I have a 2002 WS6 with 28000 miles on it and it has the same noise as yours and mine too go's away after it comes to OP temp. I have not had a chance to pull mine apart yet but i Googled it and there are hundreds of videos just like your and mine with the same noise its piston slap. I have found some people getting theirs fixed by Adjusting there lifters but the noise off there engines were not as loud as mine or yours. I have herd of changing the stock push rods out and putting in after market ones and that fix the problem. I will find out when i do my mods.

Last edited by Ram-it1; 01-28-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

YOU HAVE PISTON NOISE try decarboning the engine if it really bothers you. I think your noise will go away if you get the engine properly decarboned. BUT at the same time its not hurt anything. I've heard this noise 1000's of times trust me on this one. FORGET about it.

Changing pushrods OR anything is not going to stop carbon from forming on the pistons and causing a cold engine knock. IF you have this EXACT noise you have PISTON noise or sometimes reffered to as piston slap.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Launching!

O2Form, i seafoamed the top end Wednesday, there wasn't much smoke at all. When i'm ready to change the oil again i will definitely add some seafoam to my oil a few hundred miles before changing it though.

I'm also going to go back to conventional oil because i swear i didn't hear this noise when i purchased the car a month ago.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Seaform is joke! I'd be pissin my engine 1st! Keep ******* around with that and soon you will be posting about a bottom end knock and bad bearings.

You realize your engine oil is now JUNK and must be changed like NOW! I guess no one told you about that huh?

Seafoam isn't gonna decarbon those pistons anyway.......yo're just pissing away money on crap that ruins your oil and engine. Only the dealer or a real decarboning system can do it properly. OR you could go and get the large can of Techron fuel system cleaner. Run that through a tank it should clean it up some.

WTF do people think this seafoam crap does anything but lighten your wallet is beyond me. Friend of mine has a garage business and tried it on a few engines before he tore um down....IT DIDN'T DO ****!

Last edited by O2Form; 01-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet another "what is this noise from my engine thread" with video