General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Voltage high

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Voltage high

Hey guys my cars voltage is running a bit high just before you hit the red. Could the cold weather be the cause of this or could it be some thing else. Car seems to be fine, just about an hour after I started the car I started it again and the chimes got louder when the engine started cranking.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How high is high? Higher than 14.5 volts?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Launching!

it was up right before the red line according to the gauge but i haven't checked it with any instruments, seems to be going down back to normal but the car starts just fine. Maybe i am just paranoid because I gave my brother a jump the day before.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Save the manuals!

No, I don't think you are paranoid. Alternators have a voltage regulator circuit to keep them from overloading the electronics on the car. If you are/were really up against the red, it may be worthwhile having the alternator tested.

Let Alternatorman be your guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5j85...eature=related If you get adventurous, he's also got videos posted that show you how to replace the voltage regulator (rebuild) inside your existing alternator. Its really cool stuff - his videos are some of the best "tow-to's" I've come across.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I took the car out for a spin a little while ago and the voltage gauge dropped back down to normal. Cars driving fine, should I still be worried.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Teching In

This might be a weird question but is the power steering pump leaking? Mine did the same thing. You'll be able to watch the voltage dance back and forth. And sometimes be fine. I had my alt rebuild it only cost 88.90 and lifetime warrenty. But they said my regulator and rectfier were both bad. They said that's really rare for both to be bad.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
I took the car out for a spin a little while ago and the voltage gauge dropped back down to normal. Cars driving fine, should I still be worried.
Worried. No - but you should be vigilant. When voltage regulators go out, they will get fritzy - and they are impacted by temperature. If you like doing that type of work, replacing the voltage regulator inside the alternator might be fun. If you don't like doing that type of work, you will probably want to have a spare alternator ready to go when the one you have finally goes. These things are weird. If the regulator is going bad, it could let out tomorrow or next year - you'll never know.

A lot of folks are worried about the P/S fluid on the alternators. I'm not so sure as everything inside the alternator is sealed. There's nothing that oil can really to to it. Maybe make it cool less efficiently? My butterfingers (I should ask for a funnel for Christmas) have caused me to bathe my alternator in a constant stream of P/S fluid and other nasties and its done fine over the years.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Like already mentioned...the alternator voltage regulator is meant to overcharge the system when theres a drop in voltage and it can stay anywhere from 15v-18v and its made that way so you take it in and have a diagnostic check done. That will lead you most always to a bad alternator, but could be starter. Usually when its alternator you will have all your lights dimming in and out slightly for months until your volts start reading around the "redline", its almost always alternator needs changed. Alt and str are both easy fixes if you are mechanically inclined and have metric sockets and a ratchet 3/8. 30min-1hr job for both. If you have Long tube headers the starter will be a little harder to take out, but still 30min tops usually and if it test out good then you know its alternator.