General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!

00 firebird ws6 ls1 just bourght it and alot of trouble with it and need someone to look at it, to see they might some idea whats wrong with it. it runs and drives but when you start it up the idle will shot up to 2000rpms for about 10 to 40 sec and then back down, it will do it when you come to a stop light too. and when you are driving it and start to drive down the road its let it bogs down you can have your foot halfway down on the gas and will not go very fast then it will kick in its like a power band kicks in then it will drive. just replaced the TPS and the IAS and it is still doing it. i dont know what all thats been done to it all i've done to it was fixed the exhust. it did it before i fix the exhust thought.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

check out the fuel pump on it. my mom's silverado did something like this and sure enough it was the pump, only hers wouldnt start after a few months after it started doing it. if ur wantin to save money i'd check the pressure and all the wiring first to see if its not just the pump. change the fuel filter to, not expensive or hard. just droppin the tank to get to the pump is gonna be tough. with a truck, you can just take the bed off and not mess with draining the tank
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Look for a vacuum leak. Where are you?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

i would have to agree with the vacumn leak. Spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold to see if the rpm raises.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Clean your MAF too...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it throwing any codes?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Teching In

My money would be on a vacuum leak as to my girls old taurus did the same thing when I pulled off the intake to do the back 3 plugs and ended up missing one of the many vacuum lines tucked away behind it. Took me a week to find it, afterwards ran like a champ
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 T/A WS6 SLP
00 firebird ws6 ls1 just bourght it and alot of trouble with it and need someone to look at it, to see they might some idea whats wrong with it. it runs and drives but when you start it up the idle will shot up to 2000rpms for about 10 to 40 sec and then back down, it will do it when you come to a stop light too. and when you are driving it and start to drive down the road its let it bogs down you can have your foot halfway down on the gas and will not go very fast then it will kick in its like a power band kicks in then it will drive. just replaced the TPS and the IAS and it is still doing it. i dont know what all thats been done to it all i've done to it was fixed the exhust. it did it before i fix the exhust thought.
Whats an IAS? Do you mean IAC (Idle Air Control) valve.
Does this happen when you are up to operating temp also?

Rising rpm's....vacuum leak or bad IAC valve. Thats the ONLY two ways an engine can rev with your foot off the throttle pedal. Air must somehow get to the cylinders for an engine to rev.

Bogging.....many things can cause that though. Since your engine finally catches after you have the pedal halfway down and the car takes off....
---This is NOT a problem with air delivery---
Could be:
-Failing Crank Shaft Position sensor
-Failing Cam Shaft Position sensor (I believe this sensor has more to do with fuel)
-Broken crank trigger (IIRC, can affect fuel delivery)
-Ignition not providing the coils with power
-failing fuel pump
-Big clog in the fuel filter

You may have two unrelated issues to deal with.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.