General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c causes car to stutter/ smoke ???

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c causes car to stutter/ smoke ???

So car has been sitting for about 5 months(reguler start ups). I was driving the car for about 20 mins when I smelt something ( smelt like hot brakes). Opened the hood and the lower pulley was smoking, there is also a noticable whine. When I turn on the a/c I hear loud clunks/sqeals. Car stutters And almost dies. Car was also stuttering while driving , no a/c. With a/c on the car stutters through the whole rpm range. A/c compressor? I really have no clue. Car is 96 lt1.
Thnks in advance
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost_ride_the_whip
So car has been sitting for about 5 months(reguler start ups). I was driving the car for about 20 mins when I smelt something ( smelt like hot brakes). Opened the hood and the lower pulley was smoking, there is also a noticable whine. When I turn on the a/c I hear loud clunks/sqeals. Car stutters And almost dies. Car was also stuttering while driving , no a/c. With a/c on the car stutters through the whole rpm range. A/c compressor? I really have no clue. Car is 96 lt1.
Thnks in advance
^^^Was that before you ever turned the A/C "on"?

If it was after then your compressor sounds like its froze up. Or maybe the clutch is engaging when you turn it on and its frozen and not spinning the compressor. I think the compressor came apart inside.

When you popped the hood was the A/C belt going round-and-round the pulleys?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
^^^Was that before you ever turned the A/C "on"?

If it was after then your compressor sounds like its froze up. Or maybe the clutch is engaging when you turn it on and its frozen and not spinning the compressor. I think the compressor came apart inside.

When you popped the hood was the A/C belt going round-and-round the pulleys?

my discription is kind of off. Its -3 so the a/c was never on, I turned it on to see if it made a differnce, which at first seemed to be fine then just go worse and worse. Also I had my heat on and it would not blow through top vents??? . It was dark so I didnt see the belt, im going to look at it today.how much is a compressor anyways? Hard to install myself( no experience)
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

my discription is kind of off. Its -3 so the a/c was never on, I turned it on to see if it made a differnce, which at first seemed to be fine then just go worse and worse. Also I had my heat on and it would not blow through top vents??? . It was dark so I didnt see the belt, im going to look at it today.how much is a compressor anyways? Hard to install myself( no experience)
As little as $175 for a remanned one from an aftermarket company and $311 for an A/C Delco.......at www.rockauto.com

Or if you have the cash the dealerships usually offer Lifetime Labor and Parts if you get a new one from them.....but it'll cost you $700-$800 total. I did this about 5 years ago at my dealership and I'll never pay for an A/C repair again. Not a penny.

But, it sounds like if you turned it on...THEN it slowly started to make noise, the compressor came apart inside or the clutch seized up and that destroyed it. Usually they will leak refridgerant when they fail like that.

The heat not blowing out the top vents.....all I can think of is that a vacuum line popped off somewhere or is broken/cracked. I'm not familiar wil LT1's though.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ that sounds right and is what I was going to suggest as well
Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Do I haveto have a ac compresor or can I delete it, dont really need ac. Also is this something I can do in my garage? Im not gettin anybody to wotk on my car...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Do I haveto have a ac compresor or can I delete it, dont really need ac. Also is this something I can do in my garage? Im not gettin anybody to wotk on my car...
For now, just cut the a/c belt off with a razor knife and your done. Leave the compressor there for now.

((if your LT1 is like the LS1, where the a/c belt is separate from the other accessories))

Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the belt is still good though you can just take off the serpentine then take the ac off and put the serpentine back on, i think my last Gates ac belt ran me 20 bucks. If you got the time and dont want ac might as well pull it i think you shave 40 lbs = 4hp (ideally ) plus if you want to end up getting a CAI..
Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
If the belt is still good though you can just take off the serpentine then take the ac off and put the serpentine back on, i think my last Gates ac belt ran me 20 bucks. If you got the time and dont want ac might as well pull it i think you shave 40 lbs = 4hp (ideally ) plus if you want to end up getting a CAI..
Thats true.......I just figured if it was squealing and smoking he'll probably want a new belt when he's ready.

Damn, those compressors are 40 lbs.???? I didn't know that...wow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c causes car to stutter/ smoke ???