General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LOw idle and chasing throatle coming to a stop help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
just figured mine out...replace the pcv valve and the little 4" hose that connects to the crank or whatever that hose is, had a tiny tiny hole in it..I also took it to my shop where they sprayed a type of white powder over the engine bay to indicate vaccum leaks and that was the only one..no more bogging while coming to a stop...amazing how a pin size hole can effect rpm/runability like it did..
Pic of the hose if you can get one would be nice.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been Having a similar issue here for a few weeks, RPM's will surge and drop low when starting up and sometimes sitting in traffic. Checked everywhere for vacuum leaks

The only thing that seems to help is manually setting the IAC spindle in a certain position and unplugging it so the PCM can't move it. If I plug it back in it idles fine for a while then starts dropping again. a New IAC motor did not fix it.

It's like the PCM is telling the IAC to close off air for some reason. Ugh!

I have a scanner and everything seems normal, the only code i get sometimes is a p0506-idle lower than expected...no ****!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

try unplugging the "MAP" sensor and see how it runs then. possible MAP sensor gasket isn't getting sealed tight??
not sure if someone said this already haha
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

would a bad MAP sensor screw with the IAC?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem, and it was my o2's... all of em. sorry if thats been covered already
Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rabbit320
i had the same problem, and it was my o2's... all of em. sorry if thats been covered already
Wouldn't you get some codes if the O2's were messed up? There is a code if they're lean, rich or no voltage. I can't see how you wouldnt get a code if the o2's were messed up.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an amount of leniency in the function of the O2 sensors before you get an error code. For example, with long tubes you will get lazy O2 switching and drift but depending on age and brand of sensor it might not be enough to set the code. However, it can certainly be enough to change the idle fueling such that the idle quality is bad as the car changes spark and IAC to compensate for crappy combustion caused by the bad A/F ratio.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I pull the ENG SENS fuse, that should cut off the MAF and all four o2 sensors correct? If I do this and the car idles fine at least I've narrowed it down right?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys.

I have an M6 WS6 and I have identical problems...
Cleaned my MAF and nothing.
When I was having it tuned last fall, the guys at the garage told me I needed a new throttle cable - so I bought one. Haven't had it installed yet - so we shall see.

I personally think it's a vaccume leak... somewhere, elusively leaking and messin' with my idle when coming to a stop.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
Pic of the hose if you can get one would be nice.
I can't get a pic right now cause the car is having some more work done at this moment...ya know your pcv valve, well that little hose that goes from the pcv valve to your the front left, somewhat bottom corner of your intake... It's about a 3 or 4'' hose. that's where my pin hole was..completely fucked up how the car would idel. couldn't believe it but it is a sensative engine. I would def. think it's a vacuum leak after seeing how it effected my engine...you really need to find a shop that can do a thourough vaccum leak serch like they did mine... they just sprayed a very fine light white powder mist over my engine bay and it sucked it in right where the pin hole was.. only took 5 min and 10$.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justin hover
I can't get a pic right now cause the car is having some more work done at this moment...ya know your pcv valve, well that little hose that goes from the pcv valve to your the front left, somewhat bottom corner of your intake... It's about a 3 or 4'' hose. that's where my pin hole was..completely fucked up how the car would idel. couldn't believe it but it is a sensative engine. I would def. think it's a vacuum leak after seeing how it effected my engine...you really need to find a shop that can do a thourough vaccum leak serch like they did mine... they just sprayed a very fine light white powder mist over my engine bay and it sucked it in right where the pin hole was.. only took 5 min and 10$.
I'll get a piece of hose and listen it works the same way and even small leaks are pretty obvious. Thanks for your help man. You said it went to the crank earlier but I know what you're talking about now. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can the Evap Purge solenoid , if its malfunctioning cause a vacuum leak?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Default Ttt

Any update on this?

I am having the same problem

Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Im having the same problem so i changed my tps and the idle went up to about 8-900 instead of my normal 5-600. It ran great for about 2 hours, ounce it got hot and i pulled up to a stoplight the idle was jumping from 300 to 900 and then died. I havent tried reseting the tps yet.

Quick Reply: LOw idle and chasing throatle coming to a stop help!