General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine Oil Additive Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Additive Question

I will be bringing my 03 Z06 out of storage this weekend and planning on doing my oil change. During the winter months I order my usual oil products, Royal Purple 1030, K&N Oil Filter, and Redline Fuel Injector Cleaner, but this time I through in Poly Dyn’s TX7 Engine Treatment.

Obviously everyone wants their engine to run less hot, less friction, and overall perform at its best, but today I was reading some mixed reviews about this Treatment, and using ANY engine oil additives or treatments in engines. The car has only 28 thousand miles on it. They say this additive, race teams use it in their engines and works great, but can harm a engine in the long run, race teams don’t worry about this because they are ripping apart their motors so often. I also read some bad reviews about the K&N Oil filters. I know there are Pros and Cons about their Air Filters for letting in too much dirt into the engine, but so far I’ve had no problems and Iv had my Raptor XXL on the car for over 4 years.

I just want my engine to perform at its best, and last and be strong for a long time, until I either swap out motors for something bigger or over haul the thing!!

I know there are tons of Oil Threads out there , so I apologize if this is a repost and gets on anyone’s nerves! Thanks a million for any inputs you guys may have!!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not use any engine oil addictive, engine oil alone is good enought. Change oil and filter on time is best thing you can do to your engine. for that oil and filter you good 6 month or 5k miles.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

BITOG

Good reading
Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me tell you a story.......

Never, ever, add anything to your oil, its all bullshit marketing crap and your bearings will suffer.

THE END.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, get a paper filter, filters that use oils are complete bullshit too. They not only let in more debris that wears out the rings......but they also let a fine film of oil on to the MAF sensors the second it rains or its foggy out or driving right after it rains.....from that second on you just reduced your engines WOT capabilities and it just gets worse from there. PLUS........you WILL NOT get the .00001 RWHP out of those fraud filters.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some good info, thanks guys. I know a lot of people dislike K&N air filters, but their oil filters are good correct? I do the oil and filter about every 3 thousand miles, if that, or probably every 5 months. I can't say that I'm going to run out and get a whole different intake system and throw away my 200+ raptor, but I'm hoping I'm not jeopardizing anything. The car is only driven in nice weather, no rain, no dampness, no right after rain situations unless I'm stuck out with it, and Im very cautious to how much oil I use on the application.

I do have a 02 silverado with 130 thousand miles on it, and that's the only vehicle I run a additive in it, Lucas oil stabilizer, Cause its got a small knock when the engines cold then goes away.

I take pride and excellent care of my vehicles to best of my potential and never half *** anything, so I'm Just making sure what I'm doing is the close I can get to the best and right thing.

Thanks again fellas!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, Royal Purple is crap. I would use Amsoil or Mobil 1. Moreover, I'd use Wix-style oil filters and avoid any K&N product, oil or air filter. Purolator also makes a good oil filter, and paper filters seem to be the way to go for your intake. Cleaning a MAF is never fun. Also avoid oil additives. As many have mentioned, they are crap and can negatively change the balance of your oil.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Agree that RP is not worth your money. Join BITOG, it's a great forum. That being said, just pick up a synthetic oil like Pennzoil, Castrol or even the new Mobil Super full synthetic (just put this in my wifes car ~$19 for 5 qts, SN/gf -5). If you run a SN/gf-5 synthetic oil you will have no problems for the life of your car.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Additive Question