General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Necessary to change all fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The tradeoff is between paying someone money to do it without screwing up or learning to do it yourself without screwing up.

Learning to DIY also involves your mental comfort level (many of us have been doing this for years and are able to fix our own screw ups).
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't sound like the 'OP has the ability to the work himself though. In that case, you're just at the mercy of whoever you eventually go to. In addition to 'modding his car, I'd recommend that he 'mod his mechanical skills as well; from a pride point of view and saving money nothing beats wrenching on your own car...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Doesn't sound like the 'OP has the ability to the work himself though. In that case, you're just at the mercy of whoever you eventually go to. In addition to 'modding his car, I'd recommend that he 'mod his mechanical skills as well; from a pride point of view and saving money nothing beats wrenching on your own car...
Yup, it would be good if he learned.

My 441ci is getting built very soon. The builder is going to let me be there every day for the entire build and literally teach me to build an engine from start to finish....I can't wait. I'm actually taking 5 days off from working to do it.........

Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are things people can do easily themselves and things they can't. Also, there are things that sometimes aren't worth your time to do.

To the OP... you could potentially do all of the things you mentioned yourself except for a transmission flush. You could however drop the trans pan and change out some of the fluid and filter. I don't know if your mechanic was quoting for dropping the pan and replacing the filter, but I hope he was if he was going to flush a car that old.

Otherwise you can do everything else in a garage or driveway with ramps, jack and stands. You can easily bleed brakes by yourself, it just isn't the most time efficient, but all you need in "equipment" is a wire coat hanger, some tubing, and a used soda bottle with some brake fluid in the bottom, and of course some tools. Or if you can get the car level on 4 stands, you can use that setup at each corner and gravity bleed the car while you do something else (will take a long time, but you don't have to be tied to the car... just make sure you don't let the reservoir go dry).

Likewise, rear end oil is pretty easy to change, the only thing that is somewhat annoying is getting the old gasket off and making sure everything is cleaned up. If you tighten the bolts back in the correct pattern and torque them to the right specs you shouldn't have any problems with it leaking with a new gasket.

LS6427 already described a radiator flush in detail.

You don't have to knock this all out at one time anyway. You can maybe try to tackle one thing per weekend until it is done. Or if you don't have the time then go ahead and pay to have it done.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in doing that coolant flush myself. I know a few people who can probably assist me with it. I'm concerned about that petcock valve though, it's only $2...where can I buy an extra one at?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The OP could also do the transmission flush himself: https://ls1tech.com/forums/4150471-post10.html

But do read the red warnings.

And if never previously done any of the fluid changes before, make sure you know what to do before you start, look at the howto website, look at a manual.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm interested in doing that coolant flush myself. I know a few people who can probably assist me with it. I'm concerned about that petcock valve though, it's only $2...where can I buy an extra one at?
Every auto parts store around here carries them in stock.

Doorman part #61136 www.rockauto.com has them for $1.86 with new o-ring.

I got mine at Pepboys like 6 years ago for under $2.00

Make sure that whatever new one you get has a new o-ring, if not, save your old one. Or buy a pack of o-rings and find one that fits.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-30-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to post a quick "thank you" to LS6427 for the awesome write up, all the other folks that chimed in with the tips and the site operators for running such an awesome board!

I had an annoying coolant leak that was a little hard to find since it was only coming out when I had the car running on the highway for more than 20-30 minutes. Checked around this morning and found it was coming from the lower radiator hose (where it clamps to the water pump).

Armed with LS6427's write up, a jug of dexcool, drain pan, a new hose and two new screw type hose clamps I went through his write up to the letter and voilą! Car is cooling just fine and no leaks

incidentally, I called the dealer last Monday to get a quick idea of the cost...well, let's just say it wasn't the $45.00 I paid to do it myself! To those that aren't the most mechanically inclined (like me): I have to admit, it's not very difficult and you get a sense of accomplishment out of doing it yourself...totally worth it.

You guys rock!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

GREAT...good to hear we helped you out......

Always ask here first about issues.........almost every time there's a better, cheaper way to go then the dealership for both labor and parts.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years as it absorbs moisture.

And I love all the people in this thread saying how mechanics on flat rate are stealing money lol. I am a dealer tech. Why should I get paid less because I am good at my job? What do all you guys do for a living? Think about how much you would like it if because you did you job well and fast your boss said he wasn't gonna pay you the full amount. Flushes are set rates anywhere you go. Book time is not decided by us or the dealer either FYI