General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High Idle on Electronic Throttle Body

Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High Idle on Electronic Throttle Body

I have a problem with my 2007 Chevy silverado. I took the electronic throttle body off, took it apart (the gears inside) and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. I put it back on the truck and now as soon as i turn it on, it idles high at around 2200-2800 rpm. I checked for any vaccum leaks but so far nothing. Any ideas, i dont know if the ETC needs any adjustment of some kind or if theres something I need to reset. I have no experience whatsoever with Electronic Throttle Bodies. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by trans_am_31; 09-07-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming that it is not a vacuum leak you might try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to force a "reset". Finally, it may require a "relearn" procedure such as those described in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...procedure.html

To the extent relearn procedures vary by model, you may need a different one.

Another one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...e-relearn.html

Last edited by Darkman; 09-06-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the throttle body cleaner most likely got into the electric motor. now it is in a limp mode idling high so you could at least move and get off the road. see it all the time. need a new one...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

It has been two days since and when I turn the truck on in the morning it works great as if nothing happened. However, I go take it for a quick ride and when I come back home and as soon as I put it on park the rpm's rise. Confused.

Last edited by trans_am_31; 09-07-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever find out what caused this? my truck has the same symptoms after removing the throttle body. Normal idle, but if i ever so slightly touch the gas, it ramps up to around 2000 rpm. Putting it in drive drops it down to 500-700, then if i put it back in neutral it is fine till i touch the gas again.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I searched everywhere for an answer and never found anything other than buy a new throttle body.... However, I blew a lot of compressed air into the electric part of the tb and I'm assuming what eventually fixed it was the driving that I put into it. I guess it relearned. My truck after about two weeks or less was driving like nothing had ever happened to it. I don't know if I got lucky, but I think that the truck relearned the procedure. Try driving the truck around in town and also on the highway and let it idle for about 20 minutes or so a day. that's what I did. Best of luck to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Idle on Electronic Throttle Body