General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

why are our coolant level sensors 80 bucks through gm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default why are our coolant level sensors 80 bucks through gm?

Y.....and autozones are even 45
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pull the plug out and don't even use the sensor. That's what I did after my second sensor went out.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

yea mines pulled out...wouldnt mind getting it back on tho....idk.....im picky.....i would justlike to have everything working
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't unplug it. Its there for a reason. It saved me from melting down my engine!!!

Go to RockAuto for this stuff. $35 will get you a great Wells sensor.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its 85 bucks for two reasons. 1) its classified as a "module", and therefore will cost more 2) GM parts are marked up quite a bit, even from General motors.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to jack this but when they went bad did the light come on and off when it wanted to?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea.....mines bad.......from wat im hearing its pretty common for them to fail......mine would be off wen i first started the car.....then right when it reached 186, my light would come on........anyways, i actually found a new in the packaging ac delco on ebay for 39 with free shipping.......had to get it.. . The guys got 3 more i think if anyone needs one
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont run without it,, the PCM uses it for reference and control purposes from what I have always heard.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Dont run without it,, the PCM uses it for reference and control purposes from what I have always heard.
Naw...PCM doesn't use it at all. It uses the Coolant TEMP Sensor.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Because GM likes to stick it in and break it off, if you know what i mean.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I know its bit old thread, but I'll just add that since I bought my camaro, I never found the reason of the spilling splashing problem by the overflow tank. Then I saw that my engine coolant sensor is unplugged...I'll try that, since I tried every other possible solution. I would not recommend to unplug it...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I know its bit old thread, but I'll just add that since I bought my camaro, I never found the reason of the spilling splashing problem by the overflow tank. Then I saw that my engine coolant sensor is unplugged...I'll try that, since I tried every other possible solution. I would not recommend to unplug it...
That sensor has nothing to do with coolant splashing anywhere.....

If you have coolant entering your over-flow tank.....get a new radiator cap. If that doesn't fix it, you most likely have a blown head gasket.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get it. Isn't excess coolant supposed to go into the overflow tank?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. That's why it's called a coolant overflow tank. Notice the C and H on the dipstick?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

coolant is supposed to overflow into the tank when the motor gets hot and transfer back from the tank to the radiator when it cools off. that transfer is controlled by the radiator cap. if your cap is bad you could be getting too much coolant flow from the radiator to the overflow tank causing it to spill over.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

If the sensor was so necessary, why do 2002 Trans Ams not have it?

As mentioned, it's not needed.

The ECT sensor is absolutely necessary, but I've never had one go bad or heard of one go bad.

These coolant level sensors, Jeez they go bad all the freakin' time. Had one go bad on my 99, and I replaced it with an Autozone one. That one went bad too, and then I just gave up.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by myk
I don't get it. Isn't excess coolant supposed to go into the overflow tank?
Actually....NO....its really NOT supposed to EVER get coolant into the over-flow tank.

If you're getting any coolant into your over-flow tank there's something wrong with your system OR coolant mixture.

If there's any air in the system, you will run hotter and with higher pressures, that will push coolant into the over-flow tank.

If the mix of coolant and water is not right for you're climate, type of driving, and actually also for your OWN INDIVIDUAL engine.....it will run hotter and pressures will rise.........those things will push water into your over-flow tank.

Its only when there's a problem that coolant will go into the over-flow tank....or a bad radiator cap that can't hold the approx. 18psi.....

I drove my car for maybe 4 years with the over-flow line not even hooked up because I was going to remove that tank. I never once in that 4 year period was low on coolant......not a drop. That means not a drop was ever pushed out of the radiator. If it was it would have pissed onto the ground and not have gone back into the system when it cooled.........then I would be low on coolant when I checked it. It was always topped off perfectly for the first 4 years having my bone stock car. Right now, and for about the past 10 years with my 427ci I don't even keep water in my over-flow tank.....its empty.....if you ever pull my over-flow tank dip stick out, its bone dry and has nothing on it at all.
Coolant has been pushed into my over-flow tank twice.....both times was when my serpentine belt flew off doing a 150 highway run with my GM factory junk tensioner........I then overheated because my water pump stopped working......NOW I had over-pressure and coolant was pushed past the radiator cap into the over-flow tank. But....it was because of a cooling system PROBLEM, I lost me belt doing 150mph.

If you push water/coolant into the over-flow tank.....you have a problem.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dutinsss
coolant is supposed to overflow into the tank when the motor gets hot and transfer back from the tank to the radiator when it cools off. that transfer is controlled by the radiator cap. if your cap is bad you could be getting too much coolant flow from the radiator to the overflow tank causing it to spill over.
I'm curious to see this process actually work in real time. If coolant gets pushed out into the overflow tank....then it starts to cool and the suction from the cooling system is trying to pull that coolant back out and into the radiator......that suction is also going to pull harder on that radiator cap seal and seal it harder against the radiator, making it even harder for coolant to pass by it.

I'm skeptical of this process. Coolant has never once gotten pushed into my over-flow tank in 14 years........but I also have perhaps the best and most perfectly operating cooling system I've ever seen.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

guess i was wrong then. that's just how i've always heard the system worked and read from various sources. that's why i figured the overflows have a cold mark and a hot mark on them. when it gets hot and the coolant expands it is pushed into the tank raising the level and then when it cools and contracs, it goes back into the radiator and the level returns to the cold mark.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dutinsss
guess i was wrong then. that's just how i've always heard the system worked and read from various sources. that's why i figured the overflows have a cold mark and a hot mark on them. when it gets hot and the coolant expands it is pushed into the tank raising the level and then when it cools and contracs, it goes back into the radiator and the level returns to the cold mark.

Maybe.....but my cars overflow tank has been bone dry for 14 years.....I don't keep any water/coolant in it. And its been dry every time I've checked it. Thats why I was gonna just remove it.

I would love to see coolant blow into it, then return to the radiator.

Quick Reply: why are our coolant level sensors 80 bucks through gm?