General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

horrible vibration at 110mph+

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default horrible vibration at 110mph+

ok so the car is a 2000 Z with full aftermarket suspension (konis, LG springs, tubular adjustable CM everything with delsphere ends, sways etc..) i have a moser 9" with 4.11s 35 spline axles and a detroit locker, the tranny is a stage5b from T56 inc way back when they were good and in business, textralia clutch, and PST 3.5" aluminum driveshaft.

ive had the axles, rotors and wheels all checked and balanced along with my drive shaft. still i have this really harsh vibration. to my best "feeling" it feels as if its a centerline driveline vibration. i know what out of balance tires and a more "rearward" vibration feels like and i know what a front end vibration feels like. this one honestly feels like it in the center somewhere it vibrates so fast and harshly that my shifter **** feels like its gonna numb my hand if i hold on to it. ive checked and tried many different pinion angles with no luck. this is a speed only vibration and has nothing to do with RPM which keeps me thinking its pinion angle related but ive tried from 0 to -3 with no luck the vibration is still there with no improvements. im stumped!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Limit yourself to 109mph.

Someone actually posted a thread about their stick shift **** vibrating very fast......not sure what the thread title was though.....

Last edited by LS6427; 10-31-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

109 isnt fun...any one else got any ideas? i may try getting my DS REbalanced yet again... but i dont see how it could have gotten unbalanced especially seeing as the shop i bring it to is a reputable drive train shop. this really seems as it could be pinion angle related even though ive gone through a bunch of different settings. im measuring according to the BMR video... is there something i could be doing wrong?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

How were the tires balanced? Just computer spun or road forced? Im not a drivetrain guru, but I imagine a driveshaft/pinion angle issue would show itself way earlier than 110mph.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I swapped my wheels front to back, because of a vibration I had at 80mph+ it's much better but still there! I can get up to about 100+ before it starts up. Just haven't had the opportunity to get a road force balance yet.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Check u joints aren't dried up/binding.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

the wheels were out of balance one time and that was a completely different feeling of vibration and got them rebalanced. the vibration i feel is VERY fast and very harsh feels almost like if you were to drive over those warning bumps "rumble strips" on the side of a highway that are there to warn you of drifting off (dunno if other states have those too) but its more centerlined in the car where it will vibrate my shifter just as harshly. how can i check if my joints are binding? last i checked they were still good in visual condition and wouldnt having the ds balanced show an issue there?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this same issue, i was thinking most likely it was my pinion angle or my panhard bar is incorrectly adjusted. won't find out till the springtime though.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ ya my car is put away for the winter now... now that you mention PHR i never thought about looking into that but i have a Fays Watts link instead and my rear wheels are centered with the body of the car so i dont see how it could possibly be off to make a vibration as harsh as this one.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
^^^ ya my car is put away for the winter now... now that you mention PHR i never thought about looking into that but i have a Fays Watts link instead and my rear wheels are centered with the body of the car so i dont see how it could possibly be off to make a vibration as harsh as this one.
how do you like the watts link, i'm planning on getting one soon.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
how do you like the watts link, i'm planning on getting one soon.
i love it, car just "feels" better and it looks pretty neat under there.