General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird PCV question

When I did my intake manifold, I had to replace the PCV valve. I put it on the line that goes from the front of the passenger side valve cover to the lower throttle body opening. When I was looking at routing a catch can I noticed the diagram has a line going from the rear of the driver side valve cover to the top of the throttle body. I looked at mine and it has a rubber stopper back there.

Do I need to open that line up with a fitting (what size is that?) or just keep the setup I have now and run my catch can?

I looks like that air coming from the pass side valve cover is just fresh air but I did notice a small amount of oil on the PCV valve when I took it off.

What should I do?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

you can put the catch can on the line that you currently have. I have a 2000z that i am putting a catch can on tomorrow and i have both the line from the rear drivers/ rear passenger to the lower tb and the front passenger to the upper tb. i am running my catch can on the rear drivers / rear passenger to the lower tb.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya need to correct it. Do a search on PCV, there are a lot of pictures for you to use as a guide.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1121
Ya need to correct it. Do a search on PCV, there are a lot of pictures for you to use as a guide.
By correcting it, you mean venting the rear driver opening to the tb? I'm not sure what the piece that comes out of the valve cover is called but it just looks like a 90 that slips in and has a barbed fitting on the other end for the hose. I found some 90's at a couple parts stores but i'm not sure if its the right one. I guess I'm going hunting tom. I found some diagrams that should help, If I could just get the piece that come out of the driver's side I'd be good.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you donot need to put it back to stock. a ls6 pcv requires you block off the drivers side valve cover with the plug and use a cap also.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnny89345
you donot need to put it back to stock. a ls6 pcv requires you block off the drivers side valve cover with the plug and use a cap also.
I don't have an Ls6 valley cover though. The ls6 design has a tube coming out from under the intake manifold.

I'm just trying to get the 90 that comes out of the back of the driver's side valve cover. Right now it is capped off and idk why. I blocked off the rear pass side port and ran a pcv valve from the front of the pass valve cover to the intake manifold. Which is wrong.

It looks like there is a part at advance that will work as a 90. Hopefully it seals up. If not gm sells the entire PCV system for $80 but I don't want that. SDPC says they sell the elbow for ~$6 but I doubt they actually have it. I'm going to mess w/ it tom but if anyone knows where to get that elbow I would appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

if you have any local junkyards you can try them or you can look at the parts for sale forum and see if there are any car part outs. good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
I don't have an Ls6 valley cover though. The ls6 design has a tube coming out from under the intake manifold.

I'm just trying to get the 90 that comes out of the back of the driver's side valve cover. Right now it is capped off and idk why. I blocked off the rear pass side port and ran a pcv valve from the front of the pass valve cover to the intake manifold. Which is wrong.

It looks like there is a part at advance that will work as a 90. Hopefully it seals up. If not gm sells the entire PCV system for $80 but I don't want that. SDPC says they sell the elbow for ~$6 but I doubt they actually have it. I'm going to mess w/ it tom but if anyone knows where to get that elbow I would appreciate it.
Maybe this wil help

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...placement.html
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure i have all the factory pcv hoses i my shed. ill check tn when i get out of work.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 3/8" elbow listed in the thread above is too small to fit in the grommet on the valve cover. I think someone hollowed out the grommet/got a different one to fit in the 1/2 dipstick head that they used to plug the hole. OR that's not the right elbow. Is the stock grommet 3/8" ID? or can I use that same 90 that connects on the PCV valve and plumb it that way?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
The 3/8" elbow listed in the thread above is too small to fit in the grommet on the valve cover. I think someone hollowed out the grommet/got a different one to fit in the 1/2 dipstick head that they used to plug the hole. OR that's not the right elbow. Is the stock grommet 3/8" ID? or can I use that same 90 that connects on the PCV valve and plumb it that way?
The 90 degree elbow is for a 1998 perimiter bolt valve cover that is what I had on my car. When I switched heads and went to center bolt valve covers The fitting on the driver side valve caver was different and I need to find something different to fit. That is where the brass fitting comes in. No the GM valve doesn't require a screw in piece but.....that brass piece worked for me, and maybe it will work for you. It was inexpensive to buy.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1121
The 90 degree elbow is for a 1998 perimiter bolt valve cover that is what I had on my car. When I switched heads and went to center bolt valve covers The fitting on the driver side valve caver was different and I need to find something different to fit. That is where the brass fitting comes in. No the GM valve doesn't require a screw in piece but.....that brass piece worked for me, and maybe it will work for you. It was inexpensive to buy.
Ok I went and measured the plug that's in it now and it's a half inch so hopefully it will work. For whatever reason I wasn't comprehending the perimeter/center bolt valve cover deal. I'll see what I can find at the parts store and go from there. Thanks for your help man.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the PVC system set up back to stock and will put the catch can on when it come in. I also added a PVC valve on the pass side valve cover. Is that ok?

Since I now have what i think would be more unmetered air going into the intake and tb now, do I need to get it retuned?