General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ive read this advice twice in the last 5 mins of searching the forum. This is 100% incorrect.
I just read your reply to this two year old thread and it interpreted my comment 100% incorrectly.

My comment wasn't saying the job can't be done - it was saying it's difficult to do if you have big hands.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
My comment wasn't saying the job can't be done - it was saying it's difficult to do if you have big hands.
So I just replaced my high pressure power steering line. I also picked up a pulley puller since everyone said I would need it to remove the line. Well here is my findings/understandings. You can do this job without removing the pulley. I would even debate large hands could do it. I cut the old hose off the top end and removed it with a socket ratchet. Then I fed the new hose from the top down snaking it between the power steering pump and alternator (it feels impossible but it's not! Took about 5-10 minutes). Then I wrenched down the bottom end of the hose. At this point I was about to pull out the pulley puller but I realized the steel tubing on the new high pressure PS hose where it bends like a rainbow shortly after coming out of the pump is bent different. The aftermarket part is bend away from the PS reservoir while the OEM hose was bent towards it clamping any space for a wrench. So I was able to use a 16mm wrench on the upper hose bolt at an angle (about 30 degrees) and tighten the bolt completely. I used completely straight joe shmow wrenches, no crazy bent wrenches, no pulley pullers. Job took about 2 hours of work and like 2 hours of research. Some time wasted to get the courage to do it without pulling the pulley. I was just more afraid to remove the pulley and it not pressing on the same or not aligning the pulley back on with the belt perfectly. But MAINLY I just really really didn't feel like draining the engine coolant in order to remove the upper radiator hose in order to move the PS cooler to fit the pulley puller in. I figured that route would be about 4-5 hours since there's a lot more buttoning up with all that **** taken off...

Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Replacement