General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Hose Replacement

Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Steering Hose Replacement

So my 01 t/a has had some ps problems recently. -__- I had the rack and pinion replaced in June to the tune of $650, and recently the ps pump rebuilt and resealed for about $250 as both of these were leaking. Now the hose between the rack and pinion and cooler AND the the hose between the pump to the rack and pinion (I think I got that right) are both leaking. I believe it is due to the now better pressure created from the functioning pump.

My question is, how difficult would it be to replace these hoses myself? I have a quote from a shop for $395 for parts and labor. They also said the hoses needed have been discontinued by GM. If anyone have a place where I could get these hoses or advice on the job itself it would be much appreciated. My searching has not turned up much help.

Thanks in advance. Jay
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait the rubber hoses? if so, go to autozone and get 3/8" fuel line hose for the lengths you need. also if you have the PS Cooler in the upper Radiator hose, GET RID OF IT and get a regular upper radiator hose without a cooler.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the high pressure side or low pressure side?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cookba
wait the rubber hoses? if so, go to autozone and get 3/8" fuel line hose for the lengths you need. also if you have the PS Cooler in the upper Radiator hose, GET RID OF IT and get a regular upper radiator hose without a cooler.
I'm pretty sure its the hoses that turn from rubber to metal. If that makes sense?

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
the high pressure side or low pressure side?
Theres two hoses that are leaking. I will try to get the diagrams of the ones I am talking about here eventually.

Thanks for the input guys. In the mean time, if anyone else has any thoughts I am all ears!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have decided a good choice would be to replace my upper radiator hose w/ p/s cooler with a regular one (thanks cookba found a goodyear one on amazon for like $13) and run an aftermarket derale p/s cooler based on this thread http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/removi...cooler-159185/. Hopefully this will alleviate future issues with the damn p/s system.

I have found what I assume is the correct pressure line which is ACDelco pn 36363170 on rockauto

Power Steering Hose Replacement-ffam5l.jpg

Then for the low pressure side I will probably be buying just some of p/s return line from NAPA and cutting it to length.

Should be a good $aving$ for me. the ps cooler, pressure line, new radiator hose, return line and new ps fluid should come in around 100 bones. Guess I can use the other money the shop woulda taken to get a new dashpad, pp t/b and have some leftover for my coming big 3 mod.

Lastly, any tips on replacing the pressure line or is it pretty straightforward? Obviously I will have to drain the p/s system. This type of work is something I have not done much of so any tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

replacing the HP line is easy......you dont even have to remove the pump.....as far as LP side.......just grind away the factory clamps on the hose and slap on the new hose
Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
My question is, how difficult would it be to replace these hoses myself? I have a quote from a shop for $395 for parts and labor.
If you were not able to do the pump yourself, you should not do this job either. Its not the easiest thing to do and is best if you take off the power steering pulley - which requires a special tool.

Anyone who did this work for you should have recommended that you replace the hoses at the time of the repair. (Pressure hoses go bad pretty often.) If you didn't get this recommendation from a shop, I wouldn't go back to them.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
replacing the HP line is easy......you dont even have to remove the pump.....as far as LP side.......just grind away the factory clamps on the hose and slap on the new hose
Thanks! Should make a good winter break project.

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you were not able to do the pump yourself, you should not do this job either. Its not the easiest thing to do and is best if you take off the power steering pulley - which requires a special tool.

Anyone who did this work for you should have recommended that you replace the hoses at the time of the repair. (Pressure hoses go bad pretty often.) If you didn't get this recommendation from a shop, I wouldn't go back to them.
I just didn't have time to tackle it myself at the time. I think am going to pick up a pulley puller/installer as I am also going to be replacing the alternator soon and it would probably be a good tool to have around. I was pretty disappointed in the shops service although due to finances I had told them to just do the pump at the time.

Any recommendations on a good pulley puller kit? I found a few on amazon for about 40 bucks.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...t-options.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ing-lines.html
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! Should make a good winter break project.

I just didn't have time to tackle it myself at the time. I think am going to pick up a pulley puller/installer as I am also going to be replacing the alternator soon and it would probably be a good tool to have around. I was pretty disappointed in the shops service although due to finances I had told them to just do the pump at the time.

Any recommendations on a good pulley puller kit? I found a few on amazon for about 40 bucks.

If you dont want to buy one just go rent one at autoz or Oreileys
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I just did the high pressure line over the weekend. Took about 90 mins, kinda BSing around. You could do it in 45 mins probably. Easiest thing to do is get a grinder or tin snips and just cut the old line off near the ends, slip a socket on it and remove it, instead of using a line wrench. It takes a little bit of wiggling around, but you don't have to remove the PS pump or even the belt so there's no need for a pulley puller for this job. Just be patient and take your time.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Save the manuals!

I am also going to be replacing the alternator soon and it would probably be a good tool to have around.
Not needed at all. The alternator comes out from underneath the car.

The most important thing on the hoses is to make sure they come with O ring seals, make sure you get the old ones out, and that you don't chew the new ones up putting the hoses on.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shafe816
I just did the high pressure line over the weekend. Took about 90 mins, kinda BSing around. You could do it in 45 mins probably. Easiest thing to do is get a grinder or tin snips and just cut the old line off near the ends, slip a socket on it and remove it, instead of using a line wrench. It takes a little bit of wiggling around, but you don't have to remove the PS pump or even the belt so there's no need for a pulley puller for this job. Just be patient and take your time.
Awesome. I'll be replacing the idler on the a/c system, the belt, and tensioner while Im under the hood. I assume I will still need to use the puller to get the idler off?

Not needed at all. The alternator comes out from underneath the car.

Thanks. Hopin to do this all at once since I'll be down there and will have a few weeks before class starts again.

The most important thing on the hoses is to make sure they come with O ring seals, make sure you get the old ones out, and that you don't chew the new ones up putting the hoses on.
I'll make sure to be careful and get the o rings.

That kit is nice. Not worth the $150 for me anyway. Maybe after the distant future procharge....
Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM

are there any step by step write ups on how to do this without having to remove the pump and belt?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BozaLS1
are there any step by step write ups on how to do this without having to remove the pump and belt?
I recall that there are some people who have done this, but short of going to a witch doctor and having your hand shrunk, I'm not sure how it's possible.

Taking off the pump requires a pulley remover, but the actual process of removing the belt and the three bolts holding the pump on takes about 90 seconds. IMO - the hours you'd save contorting to get to the hose nut under the pump are worth the tool rental or purchase for the pulley remover.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Teching In

BozaLS1 - It's no problem to change out the HP line without removing the pulley. I did buy a fancy socket to snug up the line but it's not required a good crowfoot wrench will do the trick. I'll write you when I'm home from work. The line itself I got at Canadian Tire, I'm sure there is an equivalent in the States. NAPA had it but slightly more expensive.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by '99DeadulusWS6
The line itself I got at Canadian Tire, I'm sure there is an equivalent in the States.
There is no equivalent in the United States and it boarders on being criminal. I visit every time I go to Canada - just to look. It's better than being a kid at Disney World.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall that there are some people who have done this, but short of going to a witch doctor and having your hand shrunk, I'm not sure how it's possible.
You must become "one" with the vehicle. Talk to it gently. Caress it. Ohhhh eff it -- just drink some beer and go at it

I used a combination wrench to change mine without removing the pulley/pump. It just takes a little bit of patience.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I used a combination wrench to change mine without removing the pulley/pump. It just takes a little bit of patience.
I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to small hands...

Old 01-30-2018, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Taking off the pump requires a pulley remover, but the actual process of removing the belt and the three bolts holding the pump on takes about 90 seconds. IMO - the hours you'd save contorting to get to the hose nut under the pump are worth the tool rental or purchase for the pulley remover.
Ive read this advice twice in the last 5 mins of searching the forum. This is 100% incorrect. A 13mm ratcheting wrench will fit between the pulley and the pump body. Work each bolt out about 5 to 10 turns at a time drawing the pump out evenly and it maintains clearance to continue spinning the bolts until they are off. Now the bolts wont come out of the pump itself without the pulley being removed, but most times thats not necessary anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Replacement